• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Buying whiskey online?

Lemon

There's not much choice when you want to buy bourbon here in Finland. You can only buy liquor at one type of store, and while it does have a generally good selection of whiskeys, there are, let's see... a total of six different labels of bourbon :( I'd like to try some other labels.

Now I'm wondering, have any of you bought whiskey online? If so, please tell me about your experiences. How were the prices? Was it reliable?

As an added topic, could someone recommend a newbie like me names of some cheaper bourbons?

I'm assuming the drinking age in Finland is 18 and not 21 like here in the states?

I just did a search on google.com and had a ton of websites come back. Check w/ AVB, I'm sure he can point you in the right direction :thumbs:

There are a number of places here in the US to buy bourbon online but I have no idea if they ship overseas. Royal Mile Whiskies does ship out of the UK to Europe and they have a selection of Bourbon (just do a search for bourbon).

Obviously, bourbon won't be "cheap" ordering from the UK but it will be legal. If you want to contact some US stores here are some of the better ones.

Sam's Wine
Wine and Liquor Depot
Internet Wines
Hi-Time Wines
Binny's

If there is something you really want, let me know and I'll see what it would cost to buy and ship to Finland.

You know, without too much trouble you can make your own, of course, if it's legal there, which it's not, and I wouldn't dream of doing anything like that. It's a pressure cooker and a martian hat, look here for help. :D

Yes, the legal drinking age is 18 here, but 20 to buy stronger alcohol (over 21%). Thank you very much for the replies, I will check into all of those, just that it's past midnight now :)

Oh, and thank you for the offer AVB. I wonder what legal issues it would involve, if one was to order several bottles of liquor, sent in a box. Wonder how it would be with taxes and so... Ok some people order cigars from the Canary Islands, and would have to pay taxes for them, but who's checking it really ???

You want to try one called Buffalo Trace. Despite the name, the stuff is reaaaaally good and one of the best values you will find in anything. Usually $20-$25 a bottle.

Random appraisal:

Wine Enthusiast rating: 93

rknicker said:
You want to try one called Buffalo Trace. Despite the name, the stuff is reaaaaally good and one of the best values you will find in anything. Usually $20-$25 a bottle.

Random appraisal:

Wine Enthusiast rating: 93
Actually, Buffalo Trace is the name of the distillery and they just call one of their brands by that too. They also make W.L. Weller, Sazarac, Van Winkle , Blantons, Eagle Rare, Hancock' s Reserve and others.

The Buffalo Trace brand bourbon may only be $20 here but I have no idea how many Markkaa it would end up being in Finland. Figuring about $20-23 to ship plus the cost itself and you are near 215 Markkaa or 36 Euros and that is if one of us shipped it direct.

Argh. That's gonna be too much for my wallet I think. I'm not sure where I would save more, ordering stuff I can't get here, not even knowing the Finnish price, or ordering those I can get here. The shipping cost is just nasty for bottles :( Anyway, the original thought was to get to try some new ones. The problem is, if I like the taste, I can't afford to buy more (not right now :p).

P.S. AVB, we haven't had Markka's in Finland for 4 years! Don't get me confused with that :D It was surprisingly hard getting used to a new currency (euros). Hell, I still convert some prices to Markka in my mind :(