• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

C&D Captain Bob's Blend

bluue13

I figured I would kick this off with a review of a blend I got in a trade with Chris (nismo270r)

Cornell & Diehl's Captain Bob's Blend was named for their friend and customer Capt. Bob Coffee. Its an aromatic with some Latakia and Perique thrown in for some kick.  

Tobaccos: Burley, VA, Latakia, Perique

Cut: Ribbon

Cure: Air cured.

If you read reviews of this blend you'll find that many people go one way or the other on it mostly due to the tin aroma.  It has a definite grape essence to it which is an interesting combination with the smokiness of the Latakia.  A lot of people describe it as overpowering and permeating, but I actually kinda like it.  You do have to keep it tinned or jarred up, however, or it'll overtake your cellar.

The burn was very cool with no tongue bite and a really nice spiciness from the perique.  I can't say that I got much of the grape flavor on the draw but there was a pleasant almost incense-y type note on the retro.  The VA and Burleys add a really nice full base and some really nice strength to the blend.

The room note is also pleasant.  You definitely get a bit of a grape essence here.  I say essence because its more of a light fruitiness and not necessarily "Oh that smells like grape jam!"  

Overall I found this an enjoyable bowl for a cool fall evening. I can't say it'll become a regular in the rotation but it'll be a nice one to keep jarred up and to throw in the mix every now and then.  It also may be a good aromatic to sample for those who aren't huge on the aros but may want to dabble every now and then.

Thanks again to Chris for the opportunity to try this.

I'm glad it worked out better for you than it did for me! I will say, it's not a horrible smoke by any means. I didn't get the grape from smoking it, but just a little in the tin aroma. It's a good quality tobacco, as all the C&D blends are, it definitely wasn't my cup of tea though :)

I'll have to try and get some reviews up to get this area rolling. I've never really gotten into reviewing tobaccos all that much, but I think it could be a lot of fun!

Very nice review and a nice kickoff to get this section up and running.

I received a nice sampler from Keystone Raider and have tried a couple of them. I will try to put a review together.

Pictures are also good because sometimes the shape of the pipe makes a difference.

Thanks again.

duglynukem said:
Very nice review and a nice kickoff to get this section up and running.

I received a nice sampler from Keystone Raider and have tried a couple of them. I will try to put a review together.

Pictures are also good because sometimes the shape of the pipe makes a difference.

Thanks again.

Thanks!

Yeah I think pictures will add a lot to these reviews. I hadn't even planned on doing a review but after I smoked the bowl I figured I'd give it a shot.  I'll be looking forward to reading others!