• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cabaiguan Guapo

theorangeman

While many here have very charged opinions and feelings toward Pete and Tatuaje, I'll just be brief in that I met Pete for the first time this evening and tried my first Cabaiguan Guapo. The cigar wasn't exactly what I was hoping for, although I can understand why many would like it. I prefer a fuller bodied smoke than this stick could offer, which is why I tend to stick with the brown labels. The first few smokes can fool you with this stick; it starts off very spicy and to my liking. However, it tends to smooth out fairly quickly into a med bodied smoke that left me wishing for more. As for Pete, again, I understand very well the controversy around him and his line of cigars, particularly on CP, but I must say that I did enjoy the conversation I had with him. I even brought up CP and talked about the issue. However, being that I was at a cigar event this evening and my main intent was to have a good time, we talked mostly about other issues. It was a very enjoyable evening and I'm about ready to spark up an LFD DL Chisel to get some kick that I was missing earlier in the night.

I have talked to Pete a few times, and I don't know Al so I try to leave all of that stuff alone. With that said, I really enjoy all of the Tatuaje lines of cigars, except for the Cabaiguans. I've tried a couple of them in different sizes, and have not been terribly impressed. I think for me it has less to do with the strength, and more to do with the fact that I just did not like the taste of the wrapper. I thought it seemed a little bitter on the lips. I'll probably try another one in a few months just to see if my tastes have changed, but for now I will stick with all of his other lines.

I have talked to Pete a few times, and I don't know Al so I try to leave all of that stuff alone. With that said, I really enjoy all of the Tatuaje lines of cigars, except for the Cabaiguans. I've tried a couple of them in different sizes, and have not been terribly impressed. I think for me it has less to do with the strength, and more to do with the fact that I just did not like the taste of the wrapper. I thought it seemed a little bitter on the lips. I'll probably try another one in a few months just to see if my tastes have changed, but for now I will stick with all of his other lines.

Just to clarify for those who haven't tried one, the Guapo is a slightly different step in the line of Cabaiguans being that it has an Ecuadorian Sun Grown wrapper. If you haven't tried one, you might want to give it a go. As I mentioned above, it still isn't the smoke for me, however, I can imagine how others would like it (even those who aren't big fans of the regular line).

This one is on my short list to try but I'm in no hurry since I don't care for lighter cigars. Thanks for the review

I was at Castle on Saturday and considered going to the event, but I decided against it. Hope you had a good time. Castle is a great shop with a large selection.

Ken

I was at Castle on Saturday and considered going to the event, but I decided against it. Hope you had a good time. Castle is a great shop with a large selection.

Ken

Ken - we keep missing each other! I was thinking of contacting you about going to the event, however, I wasn't sure I was going to be able to make it (due to work). Edwards is always having events and is much closer to where I live; perhaps we could share a smoke there in the future. :cool:

I wish the Cigar Castle was closer because you're definitely right in that it is a great shop. I actually prefer it over Edwards for a variety of reasons, except for the location.

The Guapo is one of my favorite cigars right now, and the Guapo Jr. is very tasty as well :)

Guapos are my favorite of all of Pete's cigars. I too have spoken to him briefly he seems down to earth, unfortunately business is business and there are often some rifts amongst people. All I can say is both Al and Pete both seem to being doing well for themselves, and we are fortunate to have Al as both a member and top shelf retailer on CP. :thumbs:

.... the Guapo Jr. is very tasty as well :)

Ain't that the truth. ;) Just smoked one and it is pretty damn good for a freshy. I did experience a little bitterness but that was only when it got hot. I noticed that if I take my time with this, the flavors are more noticable and complex. Definitely a great a.m. or midday smoke.

.... the Guapo Jr. is very tasty as well :)

Ain't that the truth. ;) Just smoked one and it is pretty damn good for a freshy. I did experience a little bitterness but that was only when it got hot. I noticed that if I take my time with this, the flavors are more noticable and complex. Definitely a great a.m. or midday smoke.

I couldn't believe how different the Guapo and the Guapo jr were like them both allot.