• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cabaiguan Guapo

The setting: Down at the beach for a few days. Sitting out on the back patio on July 4, 2008, sunny morning, about 80F and fairly humid. Setting up the Radio Shack thermo hydro now. Quiet with a single mourning dove in the background, intermittently calling out something. In just a few minutes, the temp shoots up to 83 and RH is at 80.

The stick: Cabaiguan Guapo. Found this at one of the local shops down here. There were six left in a box stamped May 2007. Yes, I cleaned them out. It has been sitting in a humi for two days at 66RH.

Aesthetics: Very pleasing, well done cigar.Label has an orange-yellow circle with a band, shaped like a Montecristo band, overlaying a silver background with white line trimming the top and bottom of the band. Below each of the white lines is a fine sawtooth pattern also in white. A large C is embossed in the circle of the band in black. In fine brown print below the script C is the brand name. Finally, “Cuba” is printed on the left side of the C, “Miami” on the right and around the back is the Tatuaje symbol.

The wrapper is a dark colorado brown, not quite maduro and envelopes a perfectly rolled specimen. The wrapper is neither oily nor dry and has the look of worn leather.

Construction: The triple cap is topped with a small, but perfectly done pigtail, that really accentuates the look of this stick. The roll is firm but still has just an ever so slight give to it. The wrapper seams are imperceptible and really require close study just to pick up. Leaf veins run vertically up the length of the smoke in three different places.

Draw is a little stiff, but OK. At 9:30 now, we’ll fire it up.

Flavor and Strength: Initial light is really tasty. Woody, a little salty, then a very rich flavor that I am having a hard time putting into words. Just a slight hint of sweetness, but very rich pronounced flavor. Strength is medium at most, which seems important to this flavor profile, as any harshness would overwhelm it. Draw is a little tighter than I would like it to be and I’m hoping this opens up. The amount of smoke is also less than preferable, but also helping to concentrate the flavors.

Ash is dark gray, much like a cuban. Burn so far is great. The flavor of this is really great, very tasty on the inside of the lips with the tip of the tongue. No harshness in the sinuses on the exhale. So far,the only issue with this stick is the draw. Everything else is really quite grand.

Now an inch in to this 5 5/8 x 54 vitola. In researching on Moki’s vitolas.net, this cigar has an Ecuadorian sun grown wrapper, which I think helps explain the warm, sweet finish on the lips. The draw on this is not improving, so I’ve clipped another sliver off the top, just at the base of the triple cap. This definitely improves the draw, although still a little too firm for my tastes.

The smoke has a creamy feel to it, as opposed to tannic. The is no discernible bitter, harsh or tannic overtones to this smoke. Overall, the flavor profile is leather, starts out a touch salty, a sweet note and back to leather finish on the back of the lips. All very pleasant flavors.

Thermo hydro has now settled in at 84.4 F and 69RH at 9:59 am edt. The kids are looking forward to the golf cart parade at noon today. We spent a few minutes yesterday getting it lathered up in red, white and blue for the annual ride through the neighborhood with what I am sure will be at least fifty other carts. After that it will be the pool, burgers, dogs and for me at least, beers. Have a 77 in the wings for later as well. Gotta love the SC coast.

Now over a third of the way through and the draw is acceptable but tight, and the flavor profile has intensified a bit, but hasn’t changed it’s character. Still salty, sweet, leathery, now with just a slight hint of spice on the side of the tongue. Not picking up much on the palette.

Now half way through at 10:20 am and she is picking up steam! Burn is just slightly out of round to one side and there is a bit of a tunnel, Still a nice creamy, leathery flavor that is more intense, but not any stronger, than the initial inch. This is turning out to be a nice choice for the first smoke of the day on a balmy Fourth of July morning. I think I’ll take a break to get the power cord for the MacBookPro.

Ahhh. The AC was a pleasant diversion. My 10 year old, soon to be 11, is completely zonked out on the sofa, mouth wide open, oblivious to the “morning” I-Tunes playlist Mrs. HFM as going in the background. Haven’t even seen the 8 year old yet this morning. He was probably up past 1am watching movies, Star Wars episodes no doubt. I swear that kid knows every line to Episodes 1 thru 6.

The rest did well for the smoke too. It has really opened up now, draw is improved andlots of thick creamy smoke coming from each puff. Again, this is a great morning cigar. Goes well with dark coffee, slightly sweetened with real sugar (I just can’t do the fake stuff).

A little over an inch from the band now, and the wrapper has a slight crack in it, no doubt from the heat and humidity. Still smokes like a champ tho’.

Two inches plus left on this baby and it keeps getting better. A big hunk of ash just fell off. As I slid the band over the top trying to retain its original shape, I tore a hunk of wrapper off about a half inch from the draw end of the smoke. Still drawing and smoking great, a minor flesh wound! Great, hearty tobacco flavors emanating from her now.

It’s now 11:01am and the last third is burning slow but deliberately. Although the tip is moist from the warm smoke permeating the filler leaves, there is no tar build up, nor bitter aftertastes. this is still a well-rounded, smooth and balanced smoke. Slight peppery finish on the palette now. I’m feeling good about a great find at one of the local shops in North Myrtle Beach.

Time to finish it off at 11:22.

Overall Appreciation: This has been a great way to start the July 4th holiday. A well-balanced, medium strength blend of woody, leathery, creamy salty and slightly sweet tobacco flavors. Smooth and tasty throughout. Had it not been for the earlier draw problems, this would have rated even higher, 7.5 on the ten scale.

I hear that what is left on the shelves is all that remains of this stogie. I would grab what I could get if you run across these. A great all around smoke.

Happy 4th!

Excellent review, Jim. This review just made me want to revisit the Cabaiguans again. Thank you.

Thanks for the excellent review. I'm almost done burning through a box of these, and I'm impressed with their consistency and flavour profile. Great fourth of July cigar!