• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cabaiguan RX Maduro

flamchop

65/65
Origin: Nicaragua
Length: 5 5/8
Ring Gauge: 46
Wrapper: Dark Natural Connecticut Broadleaf
Filler: Nicaragua

As a fan of the Tatuaje smokes, I was surprised when I smoked a Cabaiguan last year and didn't really care for it. Then I found out about the Guapo line which featured a different wrapper: Ecuadorian Sun Grown. I tried the RX Guapo and loved it! So when I found out about the recent release of Cabaiguan Maduro smokes featuring a Connecticut Broadleaf wrapper I had to give them a try. I've been noticing recently that I really enjoy smokes with the Connecticut broadleaf wrappers (i.e. La Riqueza, Anejo, etc.)

I picked up a fiver of the RX Maduro last week and decided to give one a try tonight. I paired it with some good tunes and some iced tea. This particular smoke was a bit moist... more so than the other 4, not sure why but it ended up smoking okay. The wrapper is that familiar dark, oily, rustic type as with most broadleaf wrappers. It had some blemishes and some nicks, but that's usual with these. There is no pigtail on this cigar, unlike the Guapo Cabaiguans. Just the usual triple cap you get with Pete Johnson/Pepin smokes.

I punched the cap and took a draw... plenty of air with a bit of resistance. I torched the foot and took a draw and wow was I blasted with some spicy pepper on the back of my throat. So much so I needed to take a drink immediately. After about an inch it settled down considerably, revealing a leathery taste with a hint of chocolate or cocoa. I haven't gotten that cocoa from the Guapo line... so I think I'm tasting the difference in wrappers right away.

The draw tightened up about half way, but with a bit of squeezing of the head it opened it right up (that’s what she said). The burn didn't need much touching up... I think it burned just a little off due to the moistness of this particular cigar. I can't say the flavors changed all that much the rest of the way down, but it was a very enjoyable smoke and I look forward to smoking the others after some more down time.

I won't hesitate to say this is just as enjoyable if not more so than the Guapo line. If you like the Guapos at all I recommend giving this a try.

Nice review. I love this cigar, on the pre-light draw I get some mango. These sticks burn amazingly for me, always razor sharp. This is a cigar I would like to keep in my rotation.

I've smoked a couple of these so far and have really enjoyed them. I found the Ecuadorian wrapper to lend a bit more sweetness than the regular line. Thanks for another great review Mike!

Another great review on a great stick.I put a serious dent in the box I have,cant stop smoking em'..