• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cabinet humidifier

Babbsy

Hi All,

I am in the process of building a humidor about the size of a kitchen fridge and need a humidification unit. Since I have lots of extra space I was thinking of just purchasing a regular bedside humidifier with a humidity sensor at Lowes, setting the humidity to 65% and walking away. I am looking for something I can leave for 2 weeks a few times a year while I travel.

The cabinet will have electricity and I am going to install a small computer case fan to run for 2 minutes every hour for airflow.

Any thoughts?

Some of the more seasoned members may be able to answer your question better, but I would be afraid of two things - humidity swings and accuracy. The accuracy of the humidifier might not be too much of a problem, as long as you compare it to your hygrometer first. You may find that your humidifier, set to 65%, may be way off. You could just turn to a different setting to offset the inaccuracy, though. The humidity swing, on the other hand, may cause more of a problem. How much would the humidity have to drop before the unit kicked on? If your RH is slowly dropping 15% and then jumping up quickly when the humidifier kicks on, I would imagine it could be hard on the wrappers... Just my opinion, though!

My question would be this- with all the active humidification devices that are out there made specifically for cabinet humidors that aren't that high in price- why would you risk you puros( that when that big ole humi is filled cost alot more ) to a home made device that may or may not save you a few dollars but could cost you much more if it fails?

I'd go with a humidification device specifically made for a unit your size. Some to look at are made by Humi-care, Oasis, Moist-n-aire and some of the other folks here may have more info on what they have used or are using but I have a small cabinet at home and use a Oasis XL plus and heartfelt beads and it works great for me.

Hope this helps,

Rob

I use this in a Verona cabinet and have no problems great unit and great customer service from ronc
http://www.cigarpass.com/forumsipb/index.php?showtopic=38891

Those The Avallo are sweet. I may have to get of my wallet for this one.

I'd recommend looking at CigarBid. I got two separate cabinet systems for less than $200. Works great!

Do you know the actual cubic feet it will be? I'm going to be using a Vigilant Sentry 100 in a cabinet I'm building. It's good for up to 100 cuf. Everything I've read so far has been positive. Here's a link.
http://cigarhumidors.vigilantinc.com/cigarhumidors-systems.php

Do you know the actual cubic feet it will be? I'm going to be using a Vigilant Sentry 100 in a cabinet I'm building. It's good for up to 100 cuf. Everything I've read so far has been positive. Here's a link.
http://cigarhumidors...ors-systems.php

That's a nice system HM- but I gather from looking at Babbsy's original post that it could be out of the pricepoint he's trying to work with. I think there are probably some more affordable systems- though not as good I'm sure- that would be adequate to take care of his project. IMHO.

Personally, I have had the Hyrda LG for like 4 weeks and I absolutely LOVE IT!!! I ended up picking it up for $121 on Cbid and couldn't be happier with that price. I purchased the fan kit for it and 2 extra fans and have had great success with just the one fan installed currently. The system is spot on and the hydrometer in it is adjustable which I love. I still have to clean up the wiring a little, but being away from home for 2 weeks now makes it kinda hard. In my absence I have had my GF reporting my RH a couple times a week and it has never moved. Another point to add is that even after 2 weeks of running, it still barely used any of the distilled I used on the original fill.

There are currently two on Cigarbid here...

Hydra LG

Personally, I have had the Hyrda LG for like 4 weeks and I absolutely LOVE IT!!! I ended up picking it up for $121 on Cbid and couldn't be happier with that price. I purchased the fan kit for it and 2 extra fans and have had great success with just the one fan installed currently. The system is spot on and the hydrometer in it is adjustable which I love. I still have to clean up the wiring little, but being away from home for 2 weeks now makes it kinda hard. In my absence I have had my GF reporting my RH a couple times a week and it has never moved. Another point to add is that even after 2 weeks of running, it still barely used any of the distilled I used on the original fill.

There are currently two on Cigarbid here...

Hydra LG

Got the same two! I had an issue with the fill alarm but that was just because the cabinet was soaking up so much water during its season process.

Well, I knew the day would come, and I would have to admit my sins.....I have a regular Bionair Humidifier in my cabinet. THERE, I SAID IT!

What I have is a Bionaire BCM7309 Digital Cool Mist Humidifier. It works very well for me. It is accurate enough that on 7 1/2 feet height, my hygrometers read only 1% rh difference, at a steady 69%. It is super fast to remake for the lost humidity when you open those big doors, has a big fan for air circulation, cost me next to nothing on sale, and holds 1 gallon of distilled water, which basically means I never filled it since I set it up last october. Works for me!

This is what comes installed in the Aristocrat humidors.

SET AND FORGET CONTROLS

These are top of the line. IMO it's worth paying a little extra to make sure your cigars won't suffer. I guess it depends on what you have in your collection, I'm sure there are good alternatives like those mentioned above, but I know this set of controls is top notch.