• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cabinet humidor

nic

Hey guys-

I got a question for everyone.

I've been lusting after a handmade cabinet humidor for a few years now. Well, I came into a little money recently but I'm having a hard time "pulling the trigger" - for 2 reasons. 1, I could use the money to buy parts for my truck that I'm restoring and 2, they're really really expensive. I currently have 2 desktop humidors, and 1) 50 quart cooler, all full. My wife really isn't impressed with the cooler, and I'm sure she wouldn't be happy if I bought another. We have a tiny house, so there really isn't a good place to hide them. She does like the look of these cabinets, however.

If I get one, I think I've narrowed it down to this one: AH-1200. Cherry finish, wood door, wood top (ie, no glass), Accumonitor, full extention drawer and shelfs, and 2 extra fans. Matt's been a great guy to deal with.

I'm not really looking for people to tell me to (or not too) do it, but that's welcome if you want. I guess I'm just interested in opinions concerning this type of extravagance. Coolodors seem to be the gold standard on this board. So, what say ye?

Oh, I got one more question. The drawers hold "around 400 churchhills", the bottom is good for 22-25 boxes. Would you go for a second drawer?

Thanks everyone.

Hey Nic, good for you for trying to get a nice piece of cigar furniture. From the picture, it sure does not look like it would hold nearly anything close to the number of smokes it says. The bottom looks like it would hold maybe 8-10 boxes at most.
It really looks like a nice piece, but jeeez, the price looks pretty steep to me, but of course, I have no appreciation for fine furnishings. :D

One of my buddies just bought a similar sized piece from tampahumidor.com, and I know he didn't pay nearly as much. Also, I found a similar product here Bargain Humidors.com
It's a few hundred less, and they have several finishes to chose from.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say this: My own opinion is that I am into cigars for....the cigars, not the storage device. If you have the extra means to display them in a great furnishing, then thats great. Otherwise, you could save those bucks and use them to purchase quite a few boxes of cigars instead.

Good luck, and I'm sure that more people will add their opinions to mine.

John V.

400 churchills is 16 boxes worth plus 20 more in the bottom? I can't believe it holds that many, mine is easily 4 times that size and it starts getting crowded at 1200 sticks. At 900 it is a nice fill with some room to move things around. Most of mine are boxed and not loose but you can stack boxes and you can't easily do that with singles.

Humidors are like a vacuum; whatever space you have will attract cigars so whatever size you are looking at, double it. :0

AVB said:
Humidors are like a vacuum; whatever space you have will attract cigars so whatever size you are looking at, double it. :0
Now THAT is a profundity of which I am truly impressed! I didn't know you went that deep AVB! :D

I would give Sage and Carrie a call to at www.Petroglyphdesigns.com. They are the only other builder that uses Matts humidification system. I have a large humidor that I have retrofited with the Avallo system with four cans and four fans and wouldnt own any other humidification system. Below is a link for a desktop and controler housing that Sage is finishing up for me as we speak. If you arent in a hurry they are the way to go, if money is an object or you want something a little quicker then go with Matts product. Order to delievery time right now for Sage is around 6 months so that gives you plenty of time to pay a little here and then a little there and poof you never missed the money and by spring you have a beautiful one of a kind hand made heirlom quality humidor made exactly like you want it.

http://petroglyphdesigns.com/A_S_Humidor.htm

ads

Avallo makes some fine products. Most people I've talked to/read about that have gotten the 1200 wished they had spent the extra $250 for the 2000. That's a lot more humi for the money.

Thanks for all of the comments guys. Here's a good set of pictures of the unit I'm considering.

Pictures

Gives a good idea of how much it can hold.

Nic

Just for information have a look here
Comparison

I don't own or recommend either unit, just a link to more information.