• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cabinet vs. Dress Box

Why do most experienced Isom smokers consider cigars from cabinets to be better than those from boxes?

What's the difference in the actual cigar, if any?

Isn't a cabinet cigar the same as those found in the dress boxes only times two? Yes. No.

Cabinets of 50 usually cost quite a bit more than two boxes of 25. I don't understand why - unless there IS a difference.

Yes, I still have things to learn. I've never asked this question before. Any information or clarification on these questions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

(I was looking at a website's offerings and noticed that they had a good price on Punch/Punch. Further down the page there was a listing for Punch/Punch Cabinets of 50 for substantially more moolah, and this made me AGAIN wonder why.)

Sam

Unless the cab has some additional age (which sometimes it does) on it the price shouldn't vary. My guess is the Punch Punch cab is aged and the box is current release. That's my guess. :)

In general the cigars in a cab are not going to match each other in appearence as nicely as a dress box. While the blends are the same, you should notice a difference in taste if the cigars in a cab have been aging for sometime. The cedar of the cabinet allows for a better aging process over a dress box as the cigars are not packed in as tight. A 50 cab will sometimes command a premium price if it is aged or if the cigars are not often found in 50 cabs. Not sure where you were looking and saw this discrepency in price, but it could be that the 50 cab were older than the dress boxes, like Beast said. Most of the time if you find a 25ct. dress box and 25 ct. cabinet the price will not vary by more than a few dollars, e.g. Bolivar Belicoso Finos come in both a 25ct. dress box and a 25 ct. cabinet.

but, sam, if you really want to feel like you have a special box of 25, you could pay for the cab, and send the extra 25 that you don't need to me,

allways trying to help out LOL :D :D

So it's AGE, huh?

I've read on CW where most of those guys swear the cabs are much better. Older cigars would be better in general, I guess, if that's the difference.

I emailed Mo in England on this subject, but I never got an answer to my email. (Maybe it's a stupid question...I don't know.)

Thanks for the info guys.

I guess that I'll have to order a cabinet sometime and find out for myself. That's how I usually learn about everything anyway - jumping into the deep water!

Sam

Many people believe that cabinets age better...

Damn PB, i was doing good at not being obvious and you went and blew my cover now everybody knows that was a mooch attempt :lookup: :sign: :D :p

I'd like to second Matt's response.

My Beli's were a set of both. One was a dress, and the other was a cab. Price-wise, the cab was $25 more, but they were aged 2 years longer than the dress. Boy you could taste the diff. I just wish I could have been able to get the actual cab. But alas.... *sniff*

It's not like I have the room or anything, but I just like the wood :p

Riiiiight

FWIW...here's what CA has to say on the matter:

Q. What is the best way for me to age my cigars?

A. Many collectors choose to age their cigars in boxes, keeping like cigars together. Also, it's a good idea to age cigars at a slightly lower temperature and humidity level than normal, and then to move the aged smokes to a desktop humidor when you're ready to begin smoking them.

Many cigar brands, especially Cuban brands, are available in cabinet presentation, where the cigars are banded together with a ribbon in a format that makes them ideal for aging and long-term storage. While aging boxed cigars is certainly acceptable, these cabinet-packed smokes make even more attractive aging candidates, and therefore frequently command higher prices at auction.

According to this, I guess Kentucky Fried Chicken should cost more if it comes in a bucket instead of a box.