• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cable Modems

PSTAN

The wife and I have finally had enough of our dial-up and NONE of the phone companies will extend the broad band to the end of the neighborhood so we are going to make a change.

I'll admit I am no computer expert, I can get by and know when to ask questions so here is one. Can anyone recommend a good, not outrageous price cable modem? I would like to eventually use a wireless hub as well.

Thanks for the advice.

Phillip

A cable modem is included with your service of cable internet service.

Yes they offer one, then they wanted to charge me for it and I wasn't really too crazy about "renting" someone elses equipment. I have that magic "break it" touch.

If you "break" their modem they give you a replacement, no charge. You break one you own, you pay for a new one.

Cable modems these days are cheap. my first cable modem cost me 500 bucks (yes, long time ago) the rental thing is a sham, they get you for the monthly charge and it adds up to double/triple or more of what it is worth. Circuit City runs specials every now and again and so does Best Buy and Fry's. Just make sure to ask tha cable co which modems they recommend and which are compatable with their service. The cable co sells them as well, I got mine at compusa for 50 bucks (motorolla surfboard SB3100) as for a cable modem breaking, it has never happened to my or anyone else i know with cable modems.

I just signed up for cable internet service and rent the modem from Adelphia. I realize that I could buy one cheaper, but this way...it's not my problem. If it breaks, they take it back. I get service out of it (so far they've been good) and once again...it's not my problem. If I owned it, it would be. BTW, I am very happy with the internet service so far. 1 1/2 months and only 1 hour of down time for service. Not too bad.

Rob_k said:
as for a cable modem breaking, it has never happened to my or anyone else i know with cable modems.
[snapback]184248[/snapback]​

You know that relative or friend that can borrow something that is in perfect working condition, have it only 5 minutes, barely uses and it breaks. That has been my luck for the past few years and if my father is any indication it will not get any better. :(

I will talk with them this afternoon to see what modems are compatable with their service. Thanks for that tidbit.

Phillip, I have a cable modem at home that I bought from Cox Communications a few years back. I don't use it anymore if you need it, let me know.

Easiest thing to do it to find out which cable modem your company is utilizing.

Than track down a cable modem of the same make and model. ANd you should have no problems. But I know most cable companies (comcast) include the rental fee already in their price.

Depends on your cable company. I get my modem for free. I pay $39.95/month for 2.0 downstream. Not a bad deal.

Also use Vonage Broadband Phone Service - I highly recommend them. If you're interested in Vonage, PM me.

Rod said:
Also use Vonage Broadband Phone Service - I highly recommend them. If you're interested in Vonage, PM me.
[snapback]184321[/snapback]​

Thanks Rod, I will keep that in mind since SBC doesn't want to make any improvements in our area unless nearly the entire town complains. :angry:

bfreebern said:
Phillip, I have a cable modem at home that I bought from Cox Communications a few years back. I don't use it anymore if you need it, let me know.
[snapback]184299[/snapback]​

Thanks for the offer Brandon, I'll keep that in mind.

cigardawg said:
I just signed up for cable internet service and rent the modem from Adelphia. I realize that I could buy one cheaper, but this way...it's not my problem. If it breaks, they take it back. I get service out of it (so far they've been good) and once again...it's not my problem. If I owned it, it would be. BTW, I am very happy with the internet service so far. 1 1/2 months and only 1 hour of down time for service. Not too bad.
[snapback]184251[/snapback]​
...exactly. I have Comcast broadband and rent their modem. When I call them with service issues (admittedly rare), a guy shows right up. My buddy across town has to fight with them anytime somehing isn't right, as the first thing they say is "....it's your modem..." and he has to convice them it's not "his" modem causing the issue. Rental is only a few bucks a month so IMHO it's the way to go.

Cable is arguably the fastest service you can get at home. You'll be 109% spoiled in about an hour.... :D

My $00.02 - B.B.S.

I've had Comcast for 6 to 7 yrs now and have been renting there modem. Sense Iv'e been on cable I've had to replace comps,monitors, wireless modems & routers all at a cost to me. The modem has been replaced 2xs by Comcast at there expense, I deffinately would go with the rental

And as of last night I think I just lost my 250 gig external HD ... sheeessshhh go figure

Ok, finally got the cable modem up and running.

Thanks everyone for their input. I did lease/rent the modem from the cable company just to avoid any unforseen issues. So far the it seems to be faster than our corporate network.

LOVING IT :D For the life of me I can not figure out why I waited so long to switch.

Tuxindy said:
You mean the lower 48ers get a choice?
[snapback]184634[/snapback]​

Only if you don't count on the phone company. ;)

Great, now switch to Vonage and drop your phone company completely! :)

I'm amazed by how much the phone company screws everyone. Look at all those taxes! $10 in taxes just for basic $17/month phone service. Nice thing about VOIP, no tax (well, maybe just a buck). Oh, not to mention no long distance fees, what a joke that is with SBC.

Rod said:
Great, now switch to Vonage and drop your phone company completely! :)

I'm amazed by how much the phone company screws everyone. Look at all those taxes! $10 in taxes just for basic $17/month phone service. Nice thing about VOIP, no tax (well, maybe just a buck). Oh, not to mention no long distance fees, what a joke that is with SBC.
[snapback]184732[/snapback]​

I am in total agreement with you Rod. The thing that pisses me off the most is that SBC provides DSL just down the steet but WILL NOT put in a booster to service the NEW NEIGHBORHOOD at the end of the street. Their loss, now they are going to lose more from me.

Rod said:
[snapback]184321[/snapback]​
I tried Time Warner's Digital Phone but returned it after about 2 hours. I need the ability to "dial up" via a phone line to phone systems from home which is not supported with their digital phone service. Rod, do you know if Vonage supports dial up?