• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Calling all Cops!

bchem

I know there are a bunch of police officers on the board so I figured I could find some input here. In breif, here is my position: I am about a year away from finishing my PhD in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. Without going into details, I'm not all that excited about the job opportunities that currently exist in my field. I currently enjoy volunteering with my local EMS company, but other than that have no other emergency or law enforcement background.

With all that in mind, I am in the process of gathering info on some other career opportunities. I can only seem to get info about being a Pennsylvania State Trooper. Other departments and jobs seem to be tough to find information on.

So, I am asking you guys for help with any resources and advice you could give me. I have come to the decision that I need to be involved with people and have a job that isn't monotonous. (This is the exact opposite of lab work!) So any info (pros and cons of being a LEO) any possibilities out there even though I don't have a criminal justice background? What are the differences in being a local police officer vs. a state trooper (really can't find anything on that one!) etc. etc.

Basically anything you can offer as far as info or advice would be MUCH appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your help.

I have come to the decision that I need to be involved with people and have a job that isn't monotonous. (This is the exact opposite of lab work!)

Go outside get a life.

That's the best I can tell you, I know.

I work in the department of redundancy department. :sign:

Wish I could help more, Good cigars help turn around bad workdays.

You can put your time in LE and then work forensics or whatever you want. Y(ou have many routes you can take with your background. Do some ride-alongs with different departments. When I got my degree in criminal justice I rode with City PD, County Sheriff, State Patrol, and interviewed with Border Patrol and other federal departments. Whatever floats you boats, I guess.

Hi, bchem! You might want to give serious consideration to the employment opportunities offered by the United States Secret Service. Please visit http://www.secretservice.gov/opportunities.shtml for information. I have many friends and relatives who have served in law enforcement over the years. All the best, bchem! Regards, knightlaird

General rule in CA is:
city pays best
county is next
state is after that
then feds.

Most agencies here you don't need a criminal justice background just 60 college units and be able to pass the tests. If you are looking for a job where your mentality is to save the world, or make a huge difference with great acknowledgement (kind of like the World peace answer to the Miss USA question: "What would you like to accomplish as Miss USA?" you are looking into the wrong field. Maybe Crime alb work is more your syle like CSI but what you see on TV if definately not all that you get in the job. Just some food for thought.

edit: Sorry I just realized I was writing under Howard's Login, instead of my own skrgrl74.
Sorry,
Beth

When I was studying at U of M, I looked into Criminal Justice. I can tell you that every state varies a little in regards to what they're looking for and the authority that grants power to police. Here in Michigan, we have a group called MCOLES. Here in Michigan, we also usually just need 60 college credits to get by...but obviously someone who has a degree in CJ is going to be better qualified. Also, someone who already has went through an appointed academy is much better off. Basically, rule of thumb is go for the maximum. If you already have a degree in something else, that's great...a degree is a degree in this field. Take a look at the Occupational Outlook Handbook from the Dept. of Labor and do some googling on PA Police because like I said different states have different requirements. Good luck!

Jason

I can relate. I went to school and specialized in Industrial Biotechnology, and worked in the lab for about 5 years.

Then, i decided to do a career change, took a 2 year course in Law enforcement, specialized in policing, and ended up to doing private investigation (no, not chasing cheating wives!). I did that for about 5 years and burned out... 5am to 8pm weekly, plus saturdays.

Next, i went into business for myself and i like being my own boss, but also face alot more responsibility.

In hindsight, i would stay in the lab. its 9-5, and can be monotonous.

The law enforcement side, is 10-13hrs/day of boredom, with several moments of shear excitement (adrenaline rush) if not terror. Then you get 3 days off. You also wear many hats, and get satisfaction when you can make the world a little bit better of a place, so it may be worth it. Sometimes, you just see alot of the bad, and forget about the positive, so attitude and goals are important.

There are pros and cons to each. Its what makes you happy that counts. My $0.02

edited: cuz 6 yrs of schooling dont help me spell :p

cletus said:
Be a Teacher, make a difference.
[snapback]273557[/snapback]​

Become a garbage man..... same thing, except garbage don't fight back.

Bchem.....here's the scoop. With your degree, a federal position would be better. Money, career opportunity, travel, pension, etc are all better at the federal level. The only difference between city, county, state, federal is the bad guys get badder(with expanded areas to deal with) and the badge we carry.

I have worked with all of 'em(being a city cop with 19 years on) through the years and the order I'd look would be: DEA, FBI, Customs, CIA, Secret Service, etc. I would have gone the federal route but my hearing loss disqualified me from the beginning. :(

Opportunity! Opportunity!! Opportunity!!! That is what you will have when going the federal route. I'm sure there is a web site for them and that'll get you going in the right direction. If not, look 'em up in the book and call.

It's NOT what it is on tv, but law enforcement is a very rewarding/frustrating career. The good far outweighs the bad!!

Good luck. If I can help with any other questions, let me know.

Floyd T.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I have just scratched the surface of the federal jobs, but was thinking more local so that I wouldn't have to travel as much...at least not much further than PA. Anyways, some good advice and jumping off points for me to run with. Still not sure what I want to do, but doing the research now allows me to keep my options open later. Will report back with any decisions that I have made.

Thanks again for the help! :thumbs: