• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Camera suggestion

Doc Wylie

Curmudgeon
Planning a trip to western Europe in the spring, and thus need to replace my ancient digital camera as well as explore options for taking video. I'm a (soon to be) retired old man on a fixed income, so top of the line ultra sophisticated and expensive equipment would be out of consideration. Any ideas for me? Is there a single camera that takes decent digital pics and can also be relied on for video, or am I better off with two cameras to take care of each different mode? Thanks in advance for the sage wisdom that I know will be forthcoming. :thumbs:

Majority of your point-and-shoot digital cameras will do both adequately.. I would definitely look for a camera with a rechargeable battery (buying AA's all the time sucks). Also look for a good name in a camera. I have a Nikon S210 that works really well for around $100 now on ebay. Others are Cannon, Kodak, Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, Fuji, and several others. Just make sure to do research on what's available and what you want to spend.

The most important things I can think of are ensure it feels good in the hand, and optical zoom is the only way to go. Digital zoom is crap.

I haven't bought a camera since my first DSLR back in 2004 so I am not up to date on the latest amd greatest.

I'm no camera expert so I can't get specific. But I can say this - Canon = good, Olympus = not good.
In my experience you won't be disappointed with a Canon.

what kind of camera do you have?
Can you give some specs of what kind of camera you were thinking of?
What is your price range?

Also, Sony, Konica, Casio (yes, casio!), and some Kodak models are also fairly good.

I have a Nikon D60 and love it. Very nice SLR.

Guess you missed the part about "I'm a (soon to be) retired old man on a fixed income, so top of the line ultra sophisticated and expensive equipment would be out of consideration,"?

I've used Canon Powershot series cameras for a few years, and love them. Currently using an S3IS that I bought pretty low right before they introduced the S5IS, and it's great. Like Shamrocker said - optical zoom is most important. Forget about what it says for digital zoom, it's useless.

I have a Nikon D60 and love it. Very nice SLR.

Guess you missed the part about "I'm a (soon to be) retired old man on a fixed income, so top of the line ultra sophisticated and expensive equipment would be out of consideration,"?

I've used Canon Powershot series cameras for a few years, and love them. Currently using an S3IS that I bought pretty low right before they introduced the S5IS, and it's great. Like Shamrocker said - optical zoom is most important. Forget about what it says for digital zoom, it's useless.

I bought a Canon SX110 2 years ago, it takes great pics. It has a 10x Optical Zoom and image stabilization. I have never shot video with it. Here is the link to the new and improved model. LINK

I paid $249.00 for mine and Amazon has the newer model for $229.00. I hope this helps.

We have used the Canon Powershot A series cameras for years and have been extremely happy with them. They are inexpensive and take good enough pictures for us. They don't have a great zoom range. The video is acceptable. For the general birthday, vacation, recital snapshot duties of our family, they have been great cameras. The only replacements we had to buy were because of drops into water or sand.

I guess I differ on the battery issue. I actually prefer AAs as they are readily available, the Lithiums seem to last a really long time, and I don't have to worry about having a place to charge a proprietary battery. They do add up over time if you are taking a ton of pictures all the time, though. It's something that seems to be personal preference.

I will add just a little to what has already been said. I am still not sure how much you want to spend or what you will be using it for, but I purchased a Panasonic Lumix that is waterproof/shockproof because I am so hard on things. I also want to take it snorkeling, fishing, canoeing, biking, camping, hiking, skiing, boating, etc. It takes amazing 12 mp photos and HD video. It is super easy to use. I can download the pics/videos easily or I can plug it into my TV and watch the pics/videos directly. The quality both above and underwater have really impressed me. I have dropped it many times and tumbled with it skiing, and the thing is still in great shape. If you might use it for any of these things or if you are really hard on things then I would suggest looking into one of them. Congrats on a new phase in life Tom! :thumbs: Take care

Brandon

I'm not sure what the budget is like or what type of camera you are looking for, but I have a canon rebel xti that takes very nice pictures even with the stock lens. You might be able to find one used at a camera shop because I think they have a couple newer models out now. I would suggest a nice telephoto lens to go with it, and thats kinda where the costs come in. Good lens are pretty much good forever, so hard to get that great of a deal on used stuff.

If your looking for just a pocket deal, my little canon sd 1100is takes a nice picture and has some video cabability. If you really want video I would go with something else, its really not suited for it. It is much cheaper than a rebel though. I think I paid like $150 or so for mine?

Not sure what your budget is, but if you plan on purchasing a new camera and wanting it to last you Canon is your best bet.

I have seen very good camera's in the sub $300 range, but if you are like me and want to take the best pictures/HD video without breaking the bank, then you will like this camera.

The 12.1 MP Canon Powershot SX20 IS will fit the bill with all the options you want at a price that isn't over the top. Link to Canon SX20 IS

I hope this helped!

-Jimmy

Read some reviews here!

...and here! (I do like the web address of this one...butt alas, it's really about cameras!)

You Connecticut types always dragging posts to the gutter.

Gary is right though DPreview is the most comprehensive camera review site out there.

Set your budget, then buy the best canon available at that price. Canons tend to have the best combination of still and video capabilities. My G9 from 4 years ago has 1080p shooting, time lapse video, etc. Can't imagine this tech hasn't worked its way down to the lower level lines by now (4 years later).

I have been eyeing this one up:

http://ashton.nikonusa.com/COOLPIX/Cameras/S8100.aspx

Dont know if if it is in your price range however at 299.00.

Thanks for all the helpful advice. I should have noted that I'm looking to spend somewhere in the $200-400 range, and the suggestions many of you have made fall into that area. Canon sounds like the way to go, but the Nikon looks good too.

Again, I appreciate the input! :thumbs:

The Canon S95 is the best point and shoot on the market: takes 720p video, has a VERY wide 2.0f lens, fantastic controls if you want to get your manual mode geek on, excellent image stabilization to improve low light shots... I have the S90 and can't say enough good things about it It is at the top of your price range, however.