• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Can these be saved?

roboref

I won some nice cigars on a cruise about six weeks ago. I did not have anyplace to put them other than a dark drawer. I just got a humidor. They were wrapped in cellophane. By putting them in a humidor with 70% RH will they moisten up again or once they are dried out they are dry?

OK, an old FOG I am not, but I do have an answer for you.

They will remoisten once you put them back in the humi and keep them there. You need to give them the finger "pinch"/squeeze once in a while to see how they are moistening and keep in mind that recovery may take several days or maybe months, depending on their condition.

Now don't get all happy on me because there is a dark side to this recovery. During the "dryout", your cherished stogies have lost some of their natural oils and even getting the moisture back may not return them to their original oil "ratio" or ballance. In my book, a stogie with the right oil mixture can make all the difference in the world as far as your smoking experience goes.

Course, depending on what you won, a bad cigar will always be a bad cigar, no matter what you do to it!

Good luck! :)

Bat is right. However, do not give them the finger "pinch"/squeeze for at least a month. If you crack the wrapper you'll have new problems! Also, the salt air on a cruise may affect the flavour of the cigars.

All in all, who cares? You've got some nice free cigars. Give them awhile in the humi and then... ENJOY!!!!

blair said:
Bat is right. However, do not give them the finger "pinch"/squeeze for at least a month. If you crack the wrapper you'll have new problems! Also, the salt air on a cruise may affect the flavour of the cigars.

All in all, who cares? You've got some nice free cigars. Give them awhile in the humi and then... ENJOY!!!!

Ah, good call blair, I didn't even think about the salt air possibility.

And yes, I should had emphasized being gentle. Cracking bad!

Thanks guys for the advice. I have them in the humi now. I have to be patient with it, I did the salt calibration test, got the hygrometer within3% and added the solution to the credo, and stocked it with what I had. The cigars were CAO, anniversaries, and gold etc. I added a couple of sticks that I bought locally along with the bundle of 25 that came from Thompson's ( yea I got sucked in by the hype before I found CP). So I will just get the humi stabilized and wait about a month, then try one.

Be patient. It may take months but you can probly recover most if not all of them. Those CAO's are great smokes so it would be a shame to lose them.

Well, I wasn't very patient. Put the cigars in the humi on Saturday. Couldn't wait any longer, so I smoked one of the CAO's last night. I don't know, but the hygrometer only read 50% last night after 3 days. The humidifier wouldn't accept any more water. So I put a shot glass of distilled water in the back, and lightly wiped the cedar on top and around the lip, to see if it will raise the humidity level higher. The CAO smoked great. As a matter of fact I couldn't finish it in an hour, so I stubbed it out and will work on it today. The humidifier may not be sealing so I will have to check it later. Of course it may be the conditions here in NM. Inside a home with the heater running and of course the RH is around 5-10%.

Any other suggestions on how to get the RH? I don't want to try the beads yet. Also I don't have a place for a coolerdor, besides my wife is not very supportive of me having any smokes or a humidor.

roboref said:
As a matter of fact I couldn't finish it in an hour, so I stubbed it out and will work on it today.

OUCH! :(

Hey Rob, just put it down and let it go out naturally if you are going to relite it!

Happy Holidays! :D

roboref is your hygrometer digital? If it's an anolog type you may need to calibrate it with the salt test.

It is analog and yes I did the calibration test on it, once and adjust and then a 2nd test and I adjusted about another 2% so it should be pretty close!

Still working on it! The last couple of nights I have wiped the top and lip and areas where no cigars are touching the cedar with a cloth dampened with distilled water. The RH is now 62%. So I am getting closer to what I want it to be. I would be happy with the climate and envoronment here in NM to have 60to65% RH. I think that would be oK with me!

yes cigars in the 60-65 range will smoke better than a cigar at 70, in most cases.

you hsould be fine :)

Just an update, I went and got the digital hygrometer just to be sure. It measured 65%. The cigars seem to be slightly more pliable, and not crunchy as before. The cigars are smoking great so all my problems seem to be solved and thanks for all the help.