• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

can you suggest some new sticks for me?

Forge

First let me say I love this forum and the people here.

Now, I have only been smoking for a few weeks and average 1-2 sticks per weekend. Here is a breakdown of what I have tried and what I liked/didn't like.

First Cigar: Cohiba (DR) Robusto - Very good cigar for me. Smooth, medium body, good flavor and not very peppery (if that’s a word?). This got me hooked on cigars. This is one of my favorites.
COA Vision - Pretty good. A little more flavor than the Cohiba, but still smooth, no pepper taste and had a hint of mocha at the end. I enjoyed this, but not as much as the Cohiba - although still close. I will be smoking this again.
Romeo y Julieta classic Churchill - Pretty good. Not as smooth as the Oliva O or the Cohiba, but had a little more flavor. After taste was a letdown - but the smoke was good. Overall, was OK to good, but not great for me.
Arturo Fuente Hemmingway classic - Honestly, it was just OK to me. Had a harsh flavor, often bitter after taste. It seemed to stay the same form start to finish. I had a slight peppery taste to it, but still just OK for me. I don’t seem to enjoy the full bodied cigars as much as the mediums, but maybe that’s because I am new to cigars and may like them more as I smoke more.
Oliva O series torpedo - MMMMMmmmm is all I can say. This was my favorite. Very smooth from start to finish, nice flavor but not overly done. I enjoyed every second of this cigar. I liked it so much, I wanted to try a V series. This and the Cohiba are my favorites so far.
Oliva V series dbl robusto - First half I didn’t like. The flavor was decent, but very over powering. Second half was better. Flavor was still good, but seemed to smooth out as it smoked down. I think it was a little too strong for me, even towards the end. I guess once I smoke more, I might enjoy this one. One thing I didn’t like was the peppery taste I got from it. Was this from the darker wrapper than I was used to?

As you can see, my experiences are very limited and my taste is different than most I guess. I am hoping some people here can steer me in the right direction for what to try next. I found a local shop that carries a decent assortment of cigars, but doesn’t carry Padron.

Any suggestion on what I should try next?

Padron. Pretty much anything by them. I prefer the Maduros but you can't go wrong with a Padron.

I suggest you try the Newbie Sampler Thread!

....tell them what youve had and are interested in something different.

I would search out what that Oliva O contains in it's blend and then see if there are any other cigars that match that blend. Find what wrapper they used and what the filler and binder were and then search out something similar. Establishing a relationship with your local shop is also a great idea. Tell them that you don't like peppery but do like a medium body and if they are worth their salt then they should be able to give you some good sticks to try. I would stay away from anything LFD, Pepin and even the Padron maduros as they all have a peppery taste to me, which is why I love them.

Padron x000 series. do it. you will not be dissapointed.

When the hell did they add rule no. 10? :angry:

MosCizlak gives good advice, though. But, You liked the Cohiba, which is Cameroon wrapped dominican filler, but not the Hemingway, which is cameroon wrapped with dominican filler (and my guess way overhumidified)

You might try other cigars by Oliva, as they, imo, roll very balanced cigars. The Masterblends series is excellent, and
the Serie G is a great cigar for the money. Keep in mind that depending on how the cigars were stored, your impressions can be skewed one way or the other, and you might give up on a great cigar due to a bad tobacconist.

Grateful1 mentioned the Newbie Sampler, which I have heard a lot of positive comments on.

From your tasting notes, it looks like the Nic Puro spun your propeller the best.

Like Oliva, Pepin makes some fine Nicaraguan cigars. The Blue and Black Pepins taste similar to the Oliva O Robusto but with a bit more spice. The La Aroma de Cuba Edition Especiale is similar but more refined with a creamy body.

Another Nic Puro you may like is the Casa Magna Colorado. Try the 6 x 46 Corona.

Thanks for the suggestions, seems like everyone loves Padron. The only decent cigar place I know of around here, hasnt had any Padrons the last few times i have been there - but am going find a sampler pack online once my humidor is ready. My humidor is still curing (just took the shot glass of water out, hoping it will hold over the next day or two). Since it isnt ready, I have been going to Cigarro's here in Omaha a few hours before I plan to smoke them - I dont know what they keep for temps/humidity there or how much if fluctuates. Votex, thanks! I will be trying a La Aroma de Cuba Edition Especiale and Casa Magna the next time I see them.

I suggest the Newbie Sampler Trade as well. You'll get much better cigars and you'll know they're properly cared for and aged.

With that said, I'd suggest a cigar from Liga Privada (T52), Arturo Fuente Anejo, or an El Triunfador Lancero. All have Connecticut Broadleaf wrappers which I feel impart a smooth sweetness to the cigars and have been my favorites so far...

I suggest you try the Newbie Sampler Thread!

....tell them what youve had and are interested in something different.

This is the best way to go. Even a person that works at a Brick and Mortar shop should be able to recommend cigars based on personal
preferences you like in real life. Like wine, meat, spices and other things that you consume. If you don't have that option the Newbie Sampler
Trade is awesome. I did 2 of them when I first joined. I was a seasoned cigar smoker when I joined. Its just good manners to buy at least
one Newbie Sampler. :)

I second any Padron, But i would go with the x000 line. I prefer the 2000 maduro's

I signed up for the Newbie Sampler, so i should have some more to test out shortly. Thanks for the suggestions, I think i need to try these Padrons everyone is drooling over.

Stupid question, what does a maduro wrapper mean? I understand its a darker, oily wrapper that has fermented, but as for taste, what differs about it over natural wrappers?

I signed up for the Newbie Sampler, so i should have some more to test out shortly. Thanks for the suggestions, I think i need to try these Padrons everyone is drooling over.

Stupid question, what does a maduro wrapper mean? I understand its a darker, oily wrapper that has fermented, but as for taste, what differs about it over natural wrappers?

I believe a maduro is a bit sweeter and with more coffe notes as well.

I believe a maduro is a bit sweeter and with more coffe notes as well.

Maduro is wrapper shade from a very dark reddish-brown to almost black. The word means ripe in Spanish. The color can be achieved by sun exposure, a cooking process or a prolonged fermentation. Because of the range of tobacco that is cured or fermented to become dark, it is impossible to attribute specific flavors to a maduro wrapper. Its like attributing a scertain level of performance to a black colored automobile.

Thank you for the explanation.

Since I wanted to try a maduro, I found a nice Ashton Aged Maduro No. 40 at the local cigar bar..... I'm in love. Oh dear god, I enjoyed ever second of that cigar. Paired with a local brew (vienna style lager), it was pure bliss. Its two hours later and i am still licking my lips trying to get just another taste. Overall, A+ for my newbie taste. Still not able to find a Padron locally though...

Ashton aged maduro is a really good cigar.

Why don't you give a cigar by Pepin a try? Maybe the My Father Cedros Deluxe.

Since I wanted to try a maduro, I found a nice Ashton Aged Maduro No. 40 at the local cigar bar..... I'm in love. Oh dear god, I enjoyed ever second of that cigar. Paired with a local brew (vienna style lager), it was pure bliss. Its two hours later and i am still licking my lips trying to get just another taste. Overall, A+ for my newbie taste. Still not able to find a Padron locally though...

If you are in Omaha, I know you can find Padron's EASY. You have SG Roi's or however its spelled in the Old Market. You have Ted's Tobacco Shop as well.
A couple of others but I can't remember the name. I'd recommend Ted's for the best selection in Omaha. :thumbs:

If you are in Omaha, I know you can find Padron's EASY. You have SG Roi's or however its spelled in the Old Market. You have Ted's Tobacco Shop as well.
A couple of others but I can't remember the name. I'd recommend Ted's for the best selection in Omaha. :thumbs:

Never heard of Teds, I will be making a stop tomorrow, thanks!!!

Ive tried CIgarros, omaha cigar company, Revanite, Jake Cigars and some other hole in the wall with no success.

Ashton aged maduro is a really good cigar.

Why don't you give a cigar by Pepin a try? Maybe the My Father Cedros Deluxe.

Ive heard good things about My father. I think that is on the list next, if i cant locate a Padron here.

Wow! thanks a ton. Looked up Ted's address and stopped by today, HUGE selection. I got Padron 1926 #1 Maduro, a Padron 3000 Maduro and a My Father #2. Now, which one to try tonight? Other two will have to wait until next weekend.