• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Canaria D'Oro Rothschild (4.5 x 50) Maduro

Big100HD

Cigar junkie
I just cam across a 4+ year old box of Canaria D'Oro Rothschild (4.5 x 50) Maduro's. They have been hiding in the back humi in my local shop.

We opened the box to find bloom and heavy yellowing of the cello wrapper.

The owner said they were not good sellers and the last purchase he made was around 99.

We inspected the box, everything looked ok. I grabbed one from the bottom showing some bloom.

A very dark cigar with no band. After clipping it I had a bit of a hard draw. There was a sharp peppery flavor at first. I continued to smoke it on the way home. the cigar did soften as I smoked it. Sitting in the box undisturbed for so long may not have helped. When I got to the house (about 5 minutes away), I pushed a skewer through it. Boy did that help it alot.

Got a good strong draw of heavy smoke. The flavor was more woody, nothing great. I would enjoy this as an inexpensive yard dog. I sat in the garage for a few enjoying this smoke till the wife needed me.

I went to re-lite the last short 2" after being out for about an hour. After about 3 - 4 draws I knew it was not getting any better. It's became fertilizer.

I think it would have been a good smoke if I smoked it straight through. I think I'll put a couple in a humi to try and soften it up a bit. I did enjoy the first 2 inches of it.

I'll have to try another one just to be sure.

Anyone have any experince with this cigar?

The Canaria d'Oro brand is still listed on the General website though to the best of my knowledge they haven't been made since 2001. The whole line was natural, red band with a white dove, except for the rothschild which was maduro and unbanded.

Some liked them. I didn't except for the rothschild. These are on the mild side of medium with an underlying "bittersweet" (?) taste due, I suspect, to the mixture of the maduro wrapper and the Mexican tobacco in the blend. I like these on those early Saturday mornings in front of the computer along with a good cup of joe. Alas, I only have nine of them left. BTW, when they were officially discontinued, they were being blown out for $49 - $59 a box depending on vendor.