• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cancun

smokelaw1

Cigar Ambassador
Hey fellas, need a little info about Cancun.
I have been (given as one of a few good options) the choice to spend some time next year at the Royal Sands in Cancun. The address is Boulevard Kukulkan # 32, Seccion A, if that helps.
Here's the question: We will be travelling with an 8 month old baby. ANyplace we go must have a grocery store within EASY distance. Our place in Aruba, for example, has a grocery story about 2 miles away, and driving there is very easy. We like (and wat to be able to) buy groceries and eat in the place most nights, instead of always having to go out for food.

Anybody know if this area of Cancun will meet this need? If not, we are going to rent a house in hawaii that we have already been told DOES have a closeby market (but, that's an 11 hour flight with an 8 month old....I'm not crazy about that idea.)
Anyway, would appreciate any info. I've never been to Cancun, and have heard that it is overdeveloped, etc. Not sure if it is the type of laid-back vacation that we try to go on.

Thanks,

SL1

For the first part of your question... yes. There will be a store very near your destination.

As for the rest... Cancun really depends on your timing... If you hit it just right you will be treated like a king and queen in one of the most mellow and relaxing vacations you will ever have... If your timing is wrong, it will be a college-aged-drunken-party MESS!

My wife and I went to the Royal Sands in mid-August, two years ago for our anniversary... we just missed a hurricane that blew through there a week prior and there were a few spots with trees down... Other than that it was one of the most amazing vacations we have ever been on. Relaxing and beautiful.

I was there for spring break this past year. While I'm not extremely familiar with the area I can tell you that we stayed and the Gran Melia, next to the Oasis, and had to bus everywhere. There were two liquor stores, a Mc Donalds and like a Pizza Hut within walking distance. I never saw a grocery store once. Hope that helps a little. Have a great time whereevery you decide to go!

-Mike

I don't think grocery shopping is as close as he's looking for.. note that your hotel is along hotel row running north to south. All the shopping (read tourista shopping) is a the very northern tip of hotel row. Real shopping like sams and walmart are in the city itself.

I'm sure you can get groceries in the north east tip of the city, but I don't remember seeing anything there besides tourist shops, restraunts, bars, shows, clubs etc there.

cancun.jpg

Hey smokelaw1 im chris and im new here, but I just got back from Cancun. You will not have any problems with food there grocery stores everywhere and it cost $0.65 cents USD to take the public bus anywhere. so have no worries, it will be a great time perfect to relax. while down there try to visit La Casa Del Habano great little cigar shop. Hope you have fun you wana anything else feel free to ask!!!!

I haven't been there since my honeymoon in 2001, but i stayed at the cancun palace. It's a very nice place to stay and i did see alot of families when i went there. Like someone said above, definetly watch the time when you go. It's a good time to try a cuban if you can. As far as grocery stores, i really don't remember any in the area. But then again, i wasn't totally sober either...lol.

There is a Habanos shop in Cancun. What else do you need?

Thanks for all the input guys. I am starting to get some pressure to just suck it up and make the trip to HI. As nice as it sounds, I am terrified of being stuck on a plane for 11 hours with a screaming baby.

Thanks for all the input guys. I am starting to get some pressure to just suck it up and make the trip to HI. As nice as it sounds, I am terrified of being stuck on a plane for 11 hours with a screaming baby.

dude, that is one serious concern. Good luck with that.

V-A-L-I-U-M

Josh little ones have trouble on take-off and landings. Regardless if it is an hour or 11 hour flight. They just can't handle the pressurization of the aircraft. Now you on the other hand can take the valium and chase it down with Jack Daniels or Jim Beam and tune everything out. :laugh:

Hmmm...so what you're saying is that the beginning and end of both sides of the trip are going to suck.....

I can see it now...."Honey, I have figured out the solution to our stress....it's so simple, I can't believe we didn't see it before...booze and pills: The sure-fire path to happiness and peace!"

Hmmm...so what you're saying is that the beginning and end of both sides of the trip are going to suck.....

I can see it now...."Honey, I have figured out the solution to our stress....it's so simple, I can't believe we didn't see it before...booze and pills: The sure-fire path to happiness and peace!"

If you can get the little one to chew while taking off you may luck out. If you notice when you chew gum while flying it helps. If you can do a valsalva maneuver* you can relieve the pressure.

* borrowed from Wikipedia: In medicine, the Valsalva maneuver is performed by forcibly exhaling against closed lips and pinched nose, forcing air into the middle ear if the Eustachian tube is open. This maneuver with slight modifications can be used as a test of cardiac function and autonomic nervous control of the heart or to ‘clear’ the ears and sinuses (equalize pressure) when ambient pressure changes, as in diving or aviation.

Thanks Anthony. We'll see if I can get the little one to do ANYTHING. I can't get my dog to not pee on Gary's shoes, the thought of getting a mini-human to do what I want is a little daunting.

Thanks Anthony. We'll see if I can get the little one to do ANYTHING. I can't get my dog to not pee on Gary's shoes, the thought of getting a mini-human to do what I want is a little daunting.

HAHAHAAAAAA>..............I hear ya there... Hence me putting the wife off for a bit on having a kid.