• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

"Cannister" style humidors

B.L. Sims

I have seen a few basic cannister humidors made from ceramics, glass, even Stainless being sold. Are there any downsides to storing cigars in a vertical fashion versus horizontal? Would oils tend to drain towards the foot? Uneven humidification? Ive searched around and came up with nothing about this method.

I have most of my sticks that I am aging stored in jars with no humidification device. I also have an upright humidor (not a jar) for dry-boxing. IMHO (assuming no cello):

Main disadvantages are:
- if there are more than a few cigars stored, then it is really, REALLY, easy to damage wrappers when you're taking cigars in/out.
- if there's a foam humidifier, then it is very easy to over-humidify the wrapper at the heads of the cigars, leading to mold.
- usually little insulative value, so your cigars are at the mercy of daily/weekly/seasonal ambient temperature swings.
- fairly difficult to get RH (inside the cigar) above 64% as the cigar's foot is pretty much sealed against the bottom of the can/jar. (Some jars have a cedar base to combat this.)

Main advantages are:
- cigar maintains the RH that it started with as the cigar's foot is pretty much sealed against the bottom of the can/jar.
- can be very inexpensive.
- better aging according to some (not because of orientation but because these typically have an airtight seal).
- looks nice and takes up less space on a desktop (for some).

YMMV.

Thank you Craig for your reply.

I have a nice cedar cigar box im using as an everyday humidor for a few smokes. Im looking for something a bit "nicer" than a tupperdor or coolerdor for an overflow. You see, CI is the devil and it makes me buy more smokes than I have room for. I dont smoke alot (maybe once a week) so there would not be a great deal of handling involved. I thought about adding a couple layers of cedar veneer inside to add some humidity management to the equation. Would I be presumptious in thinking that if I placed the cannister horizontal instead of vertical I would eleminate the issues of a lack of even humidification? I do not plan on ever using a sponge humidification box, im hooked on beads.

Also, what about Cedar other than Spanish? A "barreldor" would be pretty neat in my book, but none I can find are Spanish.

CI isn't the devil. Cbid/cigarauctioneer/joecigar/cigarmonster is the devil. :p

Cedar other than Spanish ... ah, nope (except in a couple of rare situations).

Humidity management is (more-or-less) a function of mass - adding a couple cedar sheets will still mean that your cigars remain the primary humidity source.

The issue with potential wrapper damage is in the canister's opening relative to the way the cigars are placed; turning the can sideways won't help that. BTDT. I really liked having a glass jar humi on my desk, but gave up after a month and wrapper damage no matter how careful I tried to be.

Just wondering, why even consider a canister? Knowing more your situation, I'd just go for a smaller coolerdor with beads - roughly the size of cooler that people put their lunch in. Cost/benefit to your cigars is about the best, and you can keep it in a closet for appearance's sake :). You have to get into a few hundred dollars worth of humidor before you can get one that will perform as well as a $15 cooler ...

I borrowed an acrylic jar from a friend for dealing with a slight space issue (over estimated how many more sticks I could fit in my humi). It has such a tight seal that I was thinking this would be detrimental to aging. Don't you want a little fresh air or circulation for effective aging?

I borrowed an acrylic jar from a friend for dealing with a slight space issue (over estimated how many more sticks I could fit in my humi). It has such a tight seal that I was thinking this would be detrimental to aging. Don't you want a little fresh air or circulation for effective aging?
It depends. Lots of controversy on this subject, running all the way back to Alfred Dunhill (and not-a-few posts by our betters in this forum).

Well today I pulled the trigger on a Marine 48qt coolerdor. The fiance was none too pleased, asked why I needed one so big. I guess I didnt really NEED one that large as I dont honestly plan on aquiring alot of sticks. But at least its roomy, protective, and should end my need to constantly monitor my stash having 3/4lb of Xicar beads. So thanks guys...now im in deep!