• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

CAO Cameroon L'Anniversaire Robusto Review

CRQuarto

Brrraaaiiinnnsss.....
CAO Cameroon L'Anniversaire
Size: 5 x 50 Robusto
Wrapper: Cameroon
Binder: Nicaragua
Filler: Nicaragua
Strength: Medium

DSC_0276.jpg

It's a gorgeous day today, though for the last few days it has been windy here in Orange County. I was concerned that the high winds may play hell with my smoking, so instead of selecting a first time try cigar, I went with a stick from a box that I have had sitting for the better part of a year. I love the CAO Cameroons, having tried my first one a couple years ago, and I had found it to be a very flavorful and satisfying cigar. I've yet to be dissapointed by these, so I purchased a box of the Robustos along with a box of Punch Rare Corojos, and let them sit in my humidor. I have had a few over the course of the last year, and all of them were good, but this particular stick was outstanding. I don't know if it was just the mood I was in, if it had finally hit a point in the aging that changed it, or what, but that didn't matter as I was loving it!

On my initial inspection of the cigar, I found the construction to be of great quality, with a nice firmness to the cigar and a very, very sharp box press. The wrapper had a couple smaller veins that stood out from the rest, and the color was consistent throughout. The foot was well bunched and uniform, and the cap was devoid of any flaws. I made a quick, clean cut with my Xikar guillotine cutter, and took a prelight draw. I cound not discern any specific tastes, though I did find the draw to have a slight resistance that was perfect, not too easy, not too hard. I toasted the foot, lit it, then took a nice, long draw.

DSC_0273.jpg

Right off the bat, I was getting lots of cocoa and expresso flavors, with a nice amount of tobacco on the finish. The strength was a solid medium, and the finish was perfect though clean. The smoke was ample, aromatic, and sweet smelling, though the wind carried it off too quick for me to enjoy it much more. This was a very good cigar already! The burn was good, with an ash that was weak and had banding of different hued grays.

DSC_0282.jpg

The second half of the cigar gained strength to put it to a medium-full side of the spectrum, and the tobacco flavor became more robust and up front on the flavor profile. The cocoa and expresso stayed consistent, while a touch of wood took up the rear from out of nowhere. Still a great cigar! The burn was staying nice, despite the wind.

DSC_0288.jpg

I loved this stick! It never got hot, the strength stayed medium-full, and the flavor was dead on delicious! This cigar reminded me of the first one of these I ever had, which leads me to believe that the rest of the box must be aging nicely. I can't wait to fire up another one!

DSC_0290.jpg

DSC_0291.jpg

Great review and pics. It's been a while since I've had a CAO...now I have to pick some up!

I rather enjoy a good CAO, however have not had much luck with the cameroon. Never tried the L'anniversaire, just a regular. Looked like a good smokin' time you had there. Really good pics and nice review. Great job!

These are my favorite CAOs. Mild and plenty of flavor. I smoked one last Sunday on the ocean. Very nice.
With all the Cameroons out there, I find this one the most unique of them all.

I tried one of these out by suggestion from my banker no less. My experience was quite similar and I as well thoroughly enjoyed this smoke. Great review and nice pics!

I rather enjoy a good CAO, however have not had much luck with the cameroon. Never tried the L'anniversaire, just a regular. Looked like a good smokin' time you had there. Really good pics and nice review. Great job!

Thank you, Greg! Thank you to everyone else as well for the input on my review, it is much appreciated. I love doing these, and hope to do as fine a review some day as yourself, Greg. Also, I am sending you a L'Anniversaire so you can see how they smoke for you, let me know if you enjoy them as much as I do! :thumbs:

Thank you, Greg! Thank you to everyone else as well for the input on my review, it is much appreciated. I love doing these, and hope to do as fine a review some day as yourself, Greg. Also, I am sending you a L'Anniversaire so you can see how they smoke for you, let me know if you enjoy them as much as I do! :thumbs:

Well much appreciated! I look forward to it and will definitely letcha know my thoughts.