• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

CAO Italia

wam79

I was gifted one of these a while back by a BOTL.
I wanted to let it rest for a few months since the
cigars were new.I had read that some people had issues with harshness.
I like CAO but their cigars are hit and miss for me each has a "different" flavor.
I decided to try the cigar last week as one of my after work smokes.
The Italia was well constructed. The wraper was dark and clean,
no blemishes or leaf veins. I can't describe it exactly, but it was a good tasting cigar.Spicy at first it mellowed quickly to a pleasent mild to medium body smoke. No burn issues nice and even. I smoked it past the band and the smoke stayed smooth with no harshness. I wish I had a few more in the humi aging.
Overall I would say the Italia is a good everyday cigar. A little too mild for my regular rotation, but a nice cigar to have around for a change every now & then. :thumbs:

Bill

edit for obvious typo Let CC work a little :D

I agree nice review. I have been wanting to try one but I do not have any local shops that cary them. I mi9ght have to scheduale a road trip to pick one or two up. Thanks for the review :thumbs:

Nice review. I really enjoy the Italias, especially the caio (robusto). Kind of surprised it is too mild for your normal rotation. I have smoked a couple of these that were down-right strong cigars. Besides their strength or body, I think they have a very interesting flavor profile. There is a flavor undertone there that I just can't identify. Maybe its from the Italian tobacco. Anyway, I agree, great everyday smoke.

I agree with CD. I have smoke 3 or 4 of the robustos and always found them to be very strong. The other two sizes in the line seem to ahve the same flavor profile, but not as powerful or intense, IMHO.

up until I smoke the Cuestra Ray Centenario Vintage I smoked yesterday, the CAO Italia ciao was my favourite smoke..never had a bad one.

They way I judge a cigar if it is good or not is by wether or not my girlfriend thinks it stinks...she felt that this one had a strong smell but smelled good...so I bought a box

Thanks for the review. The first CAO I ever had was a mx2, and it burned badly and tasted worse, so I don't smoke many cao's as a result. You guys almost have me ready to give them another try. Any ideas as to what I should try first?

my fav is the Brazilia Samba; but overall the whole line is pretty good!

I like the Brazilia line haven't been disapointed yet.
the CAO black line is good also :)

Bill

I agree with others here on the Brazilia line. They have become a favorite in the last few weeks.

I smoked one of these with a buddy a few months ago. I loved it and it was definetly strong. My friend got knocked on his ass after smoking it. He had to go lie down after he smoked about half of it.

I agree with the Brazilias, my favorite CAO. The Brazilias and the Italias are close in flavor IMO, but I favor the Brazilias. This month CAO is releasing a new size in the Brazilia line a 6x50 Toro called the Lambada, which I can't wait for.

OK, I just smoked the CAO Italia Piazza, a 6x60 behemoth.

This massive cigar had a dark brown wrapper, smooth and oily. There were a couple of minor veins, but no seams to speak of. The pre-light nose was earthy and sweet. The pre-light draw was open and easy, perfect for this big cigar.

Now, I had to light this cigar with matchbook matches since my lighter couldn't make the trip to Tampa with me. I am pretty inept with matches, but this baby lit pretty easily. The draw stayed open and each puff brought out mouthfuls of thick, medium-to-heavy bodied smoke. The cigar burned even and cool throughout and I smoked it right down to a nub. The ash on this cigar was light gray and firm, almost surprising for how open the draw was. Great construction.

The initial flavor was dominated by pleasant smokey tastes. There was a sharp, almost metallic taste for the first couple of puffs, but this quickly faded. There was also an underlying sweetness that I have picked up in just about every Italia I've smoked. At the halfway mark, the cigar picked up some nice coffee flavors that mixed well with the smokey flavors. As the cigar progressed, it picked up in some strength and developed some charred wood flavors. The sweet undertone never faded. Very nice tasting cigar.

I've enjoyed these ever since watching the Skins girls dancing at the CAO party at the RTDA show last year. They are not an elegant cigar as I think the flavors are pretty in-your-face. However, the flavors are great and the cigars are well made. Overall, I rate this cigar a B+.