• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Caol ILA 12yo

ironpeddler

Ye Old Newbie
I had this bottle laying around for some time unopened and decided to give it a try last night while cooking dinner...home made cavitelli in a lightly creamed bolognese gravy made with ground veal and fresh plum tomatoes....topped off with some freshly made goats milk ricotta on the side. Heaven in a bowl!

It states it's an Islay Single Malt, 43% Alcohol, in a 750ml bottle.

Scotch.jpg

When I bought this bottle, I based my purchase on the area it came from...the Isle of Islay...and I wanted to branch out a little towards a more 'peat-like' flavor. What really made me buy it was that it was recommended to me as a lighter Islay, like 'peat with training wheels' and that's what sparked my interest and figured it would be a good place to start.

I peeled around the foil tab, pulled out the corked topper and gave it a whiff as soon as I could because I wanted to capture it fragrance immediately. What I was greeted with was the smell of my Doctor's Office after a good disinfectant was used. I mean this stuff smelled like iodine so strongly that it turned me off....I couldn't believe my nose! I poured a few fingers in a glass and let it breathe for a few minutes, it was surprisingly light in color...like honey. After about 10 minutes, it still smelled like a Hospital ward. I gave it a swirl in my glass, took a sip, rolled it around in my mouth...and almost gagged from it's taste of iodine. I mean there's medicinal and then there's this stuff. I gave it a swallow and waited to see if any other flavors would come out on the finish. Peat?...no. Vanilla?...no. Any oak at all, charred or otherwise?...no. I mean this stuff was repulsive to me as I desperately tried to like it. I took about 3 or 4 more sips (with the same reaction) before I hit it with a splash of water to see if it would open up a bit...but no, the water didn't do much at all. I drank about 1/3 of the glass and finally couldn't go any further.

Geez, that musty, salty, turbo iodine nose & flavor was not for me and I could only imagine what an Ardbeg or a Glenmorangie would taste like. I will go back to it once in a while to see if my tastes change and lean in this direction over time...but for now, it will sit in the back of my scotch shelf for visitors who admire this crap flavor profile.

Well, the taste you describe sounds about right. Try it again after drinking some Spey and Highland Scotch for awhile and see how your tastes change. Don't worry about the Glenmorangie tasting the same, it is a Highland and tastes completely different.

Gary, thanks for the laugh.

Sorry to hear it didn't appeal to you. I had a similar first experience with Islays. It does get better over time though.

It took me 5-6 tries over maybe 6 months with Lagavulin 16, which was my first taste of Islay. Definitely an acquired taste.

I've actually enjoyed this scotch; however it is definitely an acquired taste. It took me a while to get down the bottle of Ardberg I had; however once it was gone I wished I had more.

I started with Laphroaig 10 CS. In fact, it was my first single malt. I didn't know what an Islay was supposed to taste like, and my only prior experience with whisky was Chivas Regal. That did not go well.

Sorry to hear you didn't like it. Don't give up on it though, like cigars, your tastes will change and you might grow to like it.

Like Khari, my first experience with Islay was with a Laphroaig only the QC. It must be me but, it was an instant favorite. I remember thinking "man this is stuff is so different"

To this day islays and Laprhoaig remain my favorite Region and Distillery. Don't give up totally on Islays it is a great region with a lot to offer. As for the Caol Ila water it down to a point that it is palable and try to build an appreciationt for it. If and When it hits you Islays could very well be one of your favorites.

OK guys...point taken. I will revisit...first with a bit more water the next few times gradually cutting back on the cutting process.

But when all is set and done though...do I really WANT to like the taste of a scotch that reminds me of the smell when visiting old people in the hospital?

???

I thought the same thing not all that long ago. I remember telling myself: "I can't believe people actually like this stuff."

While Iodine is dominating the flavor profile now, given time I see that changing.

What does a Glenmorangie have to do with Islay? It's a highland malt and a pretty good one at that! I've also reviewed the Caol Ila if you want to see my thoughts on it.

What does a Glenmorangie have to do with Islay? It's a highland malt and a pretty good one at that! I've also reviewed the Caol Ila if you want to see my thoughts on it.
Meant Lagavulin.....which was going to be my next step into the Isle of Islay scotches

I like Glenmorangie.

I'll share with you my method of learning to like Islay scotches, or any whiskey or whisky for that matter. I too once hated them, but now almost drink them exclusively. Keep in mind, this method is endorsed by Shooter's grandmother, a family whose moonshining traditions go way back.
Drink a dram. Force it down if you have to. Have another. And another. Drink dram after dram until it tastes good. Normally this should take no more than 4 drinks. Repeat the next day. Eventually you'll love the stuff.Guaranteed.
Doc.

I think that the called the addiction plan.

Before you give up on Islays entirely, find a bottle of Laphroiag Cask Strength.  Seriously.  It's everything a Laphroiag ever wanted to be, and everything an Islay should be.  But even so, it IS an acquired taste.
I find I'm basically a Speyside/casked Highland kind of guy . . . sherry cask, port cask, rum cask, any cask, lol.  Love 'em all.  But every once in a while I'm in a mood for something moody, something taciturn and fierce. And that's where Islays fit in.~Boar

If Devil Doc's method doesn't grab you, you might try doing it the way I did. Look and see what else you have that has some peat flavor. Johnnie Walker Black is a good one to start with and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. If you pay attention there is a definite peatiness. Highland Park along with Talisker are also ones that come to mind when I think of non Islay scotch with peat flavor. There are a lot of them if you look around. As you sip on these try to taste the peat. I wouldn't run out and buy Talsiker if you don't already have a bottle as it's pretty strong.

You may also find Bunnahabhain, Bruichladdich or Bowmore to be a better starter Islay scotches. I can't say for sure but they taste less peaty to me and the Bunny even has kind of sweet finish. I wish I would have discovered Bunnahabhain before Lagavulin.

The final step in my enjoyment of these stronger Islay scotches was to always have a dram of something else first. I'm beyond it now but I used to drink some Macallan or another favorite before grabbing the bottle of Lagavulin or Laphroaig. Even now if I don't drink for 2-3 weeks I look for something milder to start my night off. Similar to guys that grab a mild cigar to smoke in the morning.

Good luck!

If Devil Doc's method doesn't grab you, you might try doing it the way I did. Look and see what else you have that has some peat flavor. Johnnie Walker Black is a good one to start with and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. If you pay attention there is a definite peatiness. Highland Park along with Talisker are also ones that come to mind when I think of non Islay scotch with peat flavor. There are a lot of them if you look around. As you sip on these try to taste the peat. I wouldn't run out and buy Talsiker if you don't already have a bottle as it's pretty strong.

You may also find Bunnahabhain, Bruichladdich or Bowmore to be a better starter Islay scotches. I can't say for sure but they taste less peaty to me and the Bunny even has kind of sweet finish. I wish I would have discovered Bunnahabhain before Lagavulin.

The final step in my enjoyment of these stronger Islay scotches was to always have a dram of something else first. I'm beyond it now but I used to drink some Macallan or another favorite before grabbing the bottle of Lagavulin or Laphroaig. Even now if I don't drink for 2-3 weeks I look for something milder to start my night off. Similar to guys that grab a mild cigar to smoke in the morning.

Good luck!
This plan I will give a try. Funny thing, I have JW Black on hand all the time for guests. I drink Highland Park 18 quite often but never thought of it as being medicinal at all...but I will take your suggestion and try to pay attention to the 'peatiness' next time.

As opposed to this method....

I'll share with you my method of learning to like Islay scotches, or any whiskey or whisky for that matter. I too once hated them, but now almost drink them exclusively. Keep in mind, this method is endorsed by Shooter's grandmother, a family whose moonshining traditions go way back.
Drink a dram. Force it down if you have to. Have another. And another. Drink dram after dram until it tastes good. Normally this should take no more than 4 drinks. Repeat the next day. Eventually you'll love the stuff.Guaranteed.
Doc.
I guess this is the 'get drunk on it until you don't give a sh*t what you're drinking' method...

On second hand...I think I'll try that one first! WTF....