• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Car CD advice.....

Allofus123

Here ducky, ducky, ducky!
Any audio heads out there? I need a recommendation for a cheap, tough, 80 watt+ auto CD player. I will be using it as an electronic game caller.

I had been using a cassette player for years but it crapped out on me last year and want to upgrade it to a CD player. I use a rechargable 12volt battery for power and use two outdoor speakercone type speakers. I keep the player and battery inside a softsided cooler which protects it from the elements for the most part. With those type of speakers I'm not looking for high fidelity sound but I do want power and clarity which is why I'm looking for 80 watts minimum.

I don't know if this is possible but it would seem so....... A walkman type player amplified somehow so it would work with my speakers wireless? I would think it would have to be amplified somehow....Anyone? Doubt it would be cheap but if it can work I might be interested.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

STYX&STONED knows a lot about that kinda stuff (I think?).

HEY STXY, assistance requested ;)

Here's a slightly different suggestion for you, but I think it'd work well for your purposes.

Get an an iPod Mini:

iPod Mini

It's incredibly tiny (2.0"x3.6"x0.5"), very light (3.6 ounces), the battery lasts for about 8 hours without needing to be recharged, you can plug your speakers right into it, and best of all, it can hold about 1,000 of your songs in that tiny little package.

Just rip the songs you want on it with the included iTunes software (Mac or Windows) -- it's as easy as inserting your music CD and hitting a button, then they are stored on the iPod for playback any time. You can even make pre-set or on the fly play lists, so you can have it play any of the songs you have on it (from any artist) in any order you want. Just hit play, and walk away.

index_size01062004.jpg

Other nice bonuses are that it is very tough -- has an anodized aluminum shell, is extremely easy to use, and it is portable enough to use when jogging, at the gym, whatever. It even doubles as a removable hard drive that you can store files on (connects via FireWire or USB to your Mac or Windows computer).

Seems like it might be a nice solution for you. Put the music on it you want, then no need for car batteries or anything, just plug it into your speakers -- and you can use it for other stuff too. Sound quality is top-notch -- I love 'em.

They also sell iPods that have much larger capacities (over 10,000 songs), but it doesn't sound like you'd need that kind of capacity. If you ever run out of room, you can just delete songs/files on it anyway.

Thanks Moki but I doubt one of those will power outdoor cone speakers. The plugs on the speakers are like the plug in jack of an electric guitar. I want to use a portable CD player (walkman style) and somehow hook up a gizmo to amplify (smaller = better) it to the speakers.

Just brainstorming..... will prob just replace the broke car cassette player with a CD unit. I still think the walkman can be rigged to work...... somehow. ???

Allofus123 said:
Thanks Moki but I doubt one of those will power outdoor cone speakers. The plugs on the speakers are like the plug in jack of an electric guitar. I want to use a portable CD player (walkman style) and somehow hook up a gizmo to amplify (smaller = better) it to the speakers.
Well, there's no reason you couldn't just hook it up to a car amp to power the speakers -- iPods are very cool. :)

Kenny,

Her is my take on this. I can help you out if you can tell me a few things. What is the impedance... or the ohms rating for each of your speakers? I would guess they are higher than 8ohms each. For these type of speakers are usally powered by a home amp. The two togather (car stereo/home speakers)are pretty harsh on the sorce units power supply and usualy dont sound as well when paired togather. It would sound much better if you spent a little $ for some car speakers. It would not cost much $ at all.

My recommendation would be.................... To purchase a head unit that will rate out at about 50x4 wattage rating and buy a set of thre-way 6x9 speakers(no need to be rated for more than 80watts max) and a set of 6x9 (truck mount style) boxes and wire them to the two rear outputs of the head unit (the front out puts could be used but not if you only need two speakers) for a more full range of adjustable sound.

Just my .02 cents worth, but I have put a couple of these togather over the years for different customers and they usualy sound pretty good!!!

GOOD LUCK BRO,
STYX&STONED

moki said:
Well, there's no reason you couldn't just hook it up to a car amp to power the speakers.
Hmmmm..... now were getting somewhere. Someone else PM'd me the same thing..... use a car power amp. I'm sticking with the walkman unit because I know I can find CD's for wild game calling..... couldn't find a thing for the i-pod. Specifically, feeding geese.

I'll have to look at what the power drain will be for the amp......

I must of been posting at the same time..... didn't see your post Gary. PM coming at ya......

Ahhhh , The memories of shooting fox right of the top of the tape recorder. Squiling rabbit brings them in every time.