• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Carlos Torano Virtuoso

Boogs34

Carlos Torano Virtuoso - Encore
4.75 x 52
Monday, 2/26/2007 on a chilly yet not too cold evening

I did not find a review of this cigar on CP. I got this cigar from a contest I had won, hosted by Azoetia. I had this cigar on my wishlist because it is my cousin's favorite cigar, and wanted to see how I felt about it.

Prelight:
After work and full workout at the gym that included a relaxing steam, I am at home pondering my social situation. It is the first time in 10 months that I have 0 female prospects on the horizon, which is both depressing yet positive at the same time. Although it sucks not to look forward to seeing someone, it is nice to not be hassled with meaningless phone calls and mindless chitchat.

I decide it's time for a smoke as I have just binged on some Tatuajes and Gurkhas and need to make some room before they arrive. I take my hardly used Xikar-1, a Christmas gift from my sister, and almost slice my finger off but cleanly cut the cigar.

The cigar is a fatty and the wrapper is a little veiny, but silky and oily. It is an appetizing dark brown. It looks pretty but not too pretty...

Smoke:
I toast and light the cigar with my butane lighter, and we're off. The cigar soon provides earthy, spicey, and chocolatey smoke. These flavors cannot be missed. However, within minutes the cigar's wrapper begins to crack (likely due to the cold), however, I have had issues with other Toranos. The draw is tight throughout.

As I get to the middle of the cigar, the flavors mellow out a bit. It is mostly earthy without the early spice and chocolate flavors I had experienced. The cigar is burning relatively even and provides a nice light grey ash.

The cigar begins to canoe towards the end, and the draw slightly opens up. It returns to the earthy and spiciness tastes from the beginning, but I am finished with an inch to go. The flavors delightfully stay in my mouth after the cigar is completed.

Comments:
The cigar is a mixed bag, strikingly similar, yet mellower than the Exodus series. It provides full flavors that I normally like but lacks the subtleties which usually make a cigar great. When I started smoking cigars, I would claim a cigar with multiple flavors that change as "complex." This cigar makes me question that because this cigar definitely provides different flavors at different points but is very straightforward in doing so. It is like a text book diagram, instead of a piece of art. Like a microcosm of my current situation, there is an array of positives and negatives to this cigar. Good, but not great.

Good review. I've also got one of these from a contest win sitting in the humi. I haven't been too fond of any Toranos I've had so far, so we'll see on this one. :)

Nice review. I've given all my Toranos away except for the Virtuoso's, I do like that cigar. I have a couple boxes resting right now and this review may just make me crack one open later this week to see how they're doing.

Thanks for the review. :thumbs:

I like these quite a bit. (I also like just about every other Torano I've smoked). I don't find them complex, but I don't necessarily see that as a negative. It has enough to keep me interested.

I've never had one with any construction problems at all and the draw is always right where I like it.

Isn't it great that there are so many options for us all? :cool:

I had one of these for the first time last week and I had the same results...bad, bad draw. I also didn't care for the flavor profile-just not to my palate.

Thanks for the review, I haven't tried a Virtuoso yet, but I do like some of the other Toranos,

And for your present situation with the ladies, a short story

The World's Shortest Fairy Tail

Once upon a time, a guy asked a girl " Will you marry me" The girl said "NO!" And the guy lived happily ever after and went fishing, hunting, played golf a lot, drank beer, smoked cigars and farted whenever he wanted to.

the end

Ken

snip....

The World's Shortest Fairy Tail

Once upon a time, a guy asked a girl " Will you marry me" The girl said "NO!" And the guy lived happily ever after and went fishing, hunting, played golf a lot, drank beer, smoked cigars and farted whenever he wanted to.

the end

Ken

Ken, thank you, that was beautiful!!! It brought ....... sniff ............ tears to my eyes!!!

OK, back to the cigar. It's a wonderful smoke to me. These are a treat smoke for me when I feel the need for something special, but not up to an Opus, or a '26, etc.

Thanks for the review! I haven't tried the Encore; but, I liked the Crescendo and the Maestro. They are NOT complex but, if they are dry enough, do deliver a good flavor and "performance". ;)

I had this last night and was pleasantly surprised by it. I've not had a Torano that I liked before this, but this one was pretty tasty. The major flavor I got was actually roasted marshmallows. I wouldn't mind picking up a few more of these to try... maybe they'll change my perceptions of the Toranos. :)

These are good cigars. Different than the rest of Torano's cigars. Yummy.

I like this cigar as well. Been a while since I had one... Time to revisit. I enjoyed your 'straightforward' perspective. I think that's dead-on. Which is why I also enjoy the Tatuaje's and the Gurkha Master Selects. They have a distinguished flavor that is very hard to describe, at least in English. The Cubans probably have a word for it. You know, I might guess it is a 'soil' related flavor.

What do I know? I'm a newb.

Peace

TS

I wanted to mention another noteworthy Torano(Torahnyo). The Signature Perfecto. They cost a bit more than the other vitolas of the line and for good reason. It is phenomenal. This stick will make a Torano fan out of the staunchest detractor!

I wanted to mention another noteworthy Torano(Torahnyo). The Signature Perfecto. They cost a bit more than the other vitolas of the line and for good reason. It is phenomenal. This stick will make a Torano fan out of the staunchest detractor!

I love the signature line but haven't tried the perfecto. Sounds like I need to search this one out next time I'm in buying mode.

Thanks for the recommendation. :thumbs:

I love the signature line but haven't tried the perfecto. Sounds like I need to search this one out next time I'm in buying mode.

Thanks for the recommendation. :thumbs:

I've got a box of the Signature toros with a couple years on it. They are aging VERY well!

Good review. I've also got one of these from a contest win sitting in the humi. I haven't been too fond of any Toranos I've had so far, so we'll see on this one. :)

Ditto. I have not been impressed by them but this one and the signature series could change that as I have not tried them. Thanks for the review. :thumbs:

Just in case I was misunderstood - the PERFECTO is the one you want to try. The other vitolas are good, IMO; but, I found the PERFECTO to be on another level entirely. A must try.