• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Casa Magna

Toro

So this cigar is on top of CA's top 25. I'm a bit surprised it beat out the 80th(which got second) but still not surprised that it did so well. And for $5 it's probably the best deal you'll get on a cigar.

any thoughts?

I'll let you know when I smoke one that doesn't implode my head trying to get a draw.

I've smoked two of every vitola, so far. All very tightly rolled, and very difficult to smoke, hence the flavors could not have possibly come through in their best light.

I thought the flavor was good, not world class. I'll give them another whirl in a month or two when the madness dies down.

edit spelling

I tried the torpedo yesterday. It was a touch moist; the wrapper popped (not the binder though) about an inch and it was hard to keep lit for a period. I will need another and maybe another, but I am surprised it came from MATASA. Their best I've had, although there was a 30th anniversary perfecto I remember liking a while back. A fair amount of spice mixed with grassy flavors with a nice shift around the 1/3 mark. The B&M sold out of their 200 robustos before 3 pm!

So who still has them?

Everything I have smoked recently from MATASA has been very good. The Cubano is part of my regular rotation and the Casa Magna (Toro's) four (4) of them that I have smoked have been very rich and flavorful. At the tasting I found the Vis Fuerte to be more full bodied and had a ton more complexity.

The only problem is that in California, this is not a $5.00 stick, more like $9-$12 depending on where you can find it. Needless to say, I am working with a Gr8 retailer on here to acquire them at a much better price point.

I'd been hearing about this cigar and once CA released it as #1 I decided it was time to give it a try. I stopped by a B&M in my area yesterday and smoked a Robusto. Although the humidor's hygrometer read 62%, this cigars still seemed a little too spongy. It is a good cigar, but imo all things considered excluding price, it's definitely not worthy of cigar of the year. I'll need to smoke a few more to form a solid opinion but, as it stands, in the same price range I'd take a Gran Habano Corojo #5 over one of these any day of the week.

I'd been hearing about this cigar and once CA released it as #1 I decided it was time to give it a try. I stopped by a B&M in my area yesterday and smoked a Robusto. Although the humidor's hygrometer read 62%, this cigars still seemed a little too spongy. It is a good cigar, but imo all things considered excluding price, it's definitely not worthy of cigar of the year. I'll need to smoke a few more to form a solid opinion but, as it stands, in the same price range I'd take a Gran Habano Corojo #5 over one of these any day of the week.

I think you assessment is dead on. Casa Magna is a good but not great cigar.

I'm smoking my first one right now watching the game. It has a nice flavor, great draw excellent burn and is producing a ton of smoke.It's well worth the 5 bucks but it's no cigar of the year IMHO.

I think you assessment is dead on. Casa Magna is a good but not great cigar.

Yea, if you watch the video for it they say that once they consider the $5 price tag they........ but yea I don't think they should ever do that when rating for the best cigar of the year. They should choose the absolute best cigar not the best bargain.

I smoked one a few months ago... bleh. It was ok, not what I would consider #1. The Padron 80th out performs the Casa Magna in all aspects except for price point. If cost was a major deciding factor, I'd rather have seen Oliva's Serie V Lancero or Arganese CL3 at the top.

I do have to say, this cigar has been a regular with me since it first arrived at the Outlaw. I am one of the few Manuel Quesada fanatics that I know. This is by far the best stick I have smoked from Manuel and Nestor. I do have to agree though that it does not always stack up against the high dollar sticks that it beat out. But I will say for the money it is by far the better stick. On the concerns some have had with draw, wrapper problems, etc... I haven't seen any of that yet but it happens with every brand I've smoked from time to time. If this stick interests you, you may want to try some of there newer Cubita blends. They are fast becoming a favorite also.