• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

CC are they realy worth it?

RoguePuffer

I am asking a serious question here as a newbie.

Is there anything to the romantic ideal of a cuban cigar?

Are they any better than non-cubans?

Should you pay more for a comparable cigar just because it is cuban?

Lets get some good discussion going here so I can learn.

I'd say that CCs and NCs are different animals. You can compare the two of course, IMHO (not everyne agrees with this). It all really comes down to what kind of cigars you like.

I find most CCs to be smoother and creamier, more subtle, generally more complex, less harsh and nowhere near as spicy/peppery. Sure there are a few strong full bodied CCs, but they are few and far between.

However, if you prefer strong in your face type cigars, than CCs probably won't do it for you. In that instance, you may likely be better served by NCs.

I'm not sure what tobacco taxes on cigars are like in Oregon, but in NY and NYC in particular, they are very high. So for me, oftentimes CCs are actually cheaper than what I consider to be comparable NCs. So...smoking CCs does not have to necessarily be expensive...it can actually be cheaper sometimes.

My personal opinion is that they are definitely worth trying. Just be realistic about your expectations...they may be from the ISOM, but ultimately it is just a cigar. I have friends who have smoked plenty of CCs, but still prefer their NCs and vice-versa. For me...what I smoke depends on my mood. I am a big fan of CCs, but of late I have found myself smoking more NCs, but I'm sure at some point I will go back to my CCs. It's just that there is so much new NC product out there I want to try. CCs outside of a few ELs and the plethora of REs that are out each year, don't introduce as much new product on an annual basis.

Oh...and one last thought...I am a cigar newb...but I have found that CCs age better than NCs. Now, I know this is subjective, but I find that aging brings out a lot of complexities in CCs which you don't get from most NCs. Hope this helps.

I am asking a serious question here as a newbie.

Is there anything to the romantic ideal of a cuban cigar? idea or ideal?

Are they any better than non-cubans? Depends

Should you pay more for a comparable cigar just because it is cuban? Why?

Lets get some good discussion going here so I can learn. Let's!

Search around here...this has been discussed.

...is a possible fine and jail time worth it?

Hmmmm....this has me thinking...maybe I'll take Lusi to the golf course today!

;)

However, if you prefer strong in your face type cigars, than CCs probably won't do it for you. In that instance, you may likely be better served by NCs.

There is a couple of strong cigars in the CC arena. A classic example is the RyJ Cazadore which is the King for the CC arena for strength. Definitely claims the title of being the ugliest as well. A unique cigar that I've always enjoyed. :thumbs:

Cuban Petite Corona's such as Partagas Shorts, Montecristo 5's, SCDLH Principe's are my absolute favorite cigars.

I clicked on advanced search and typed in cuban cigars hype. Good history of this discussion to read back on. Of course, nothing wrong with some new discussion here.

I think the Chenman nailed it. For me, they appeal to my tastes, but I'm finding more NC's that I like everyday. They are definitely worth sampling if you have the chance. Then you can decide for yourself if they are worth it to you.

As another newb, I would have to agree with everything that has been said. I will also say that I have heard many BOTL comment that there are CCs out there that are really not worth the price/risk as you can find comparable NCs that are the same or MUCH better. Personally, I have taken some recommendations on which CCs to take the pleasure of smoking and have not found any of these to not be worth my while. I also think that the NC market has exploded so heavily that some of the newer NC blends are just as good/better than the CCs that are out there. Again, it is all going to end up as to what is to your liking. Good luck on your endeavors and welcome to the world of fine leaf brother.

When we are talking about premium hand rolled cigars, I'd argue that there is no difference in price between CC and NC.

Feel free to call or contact us anytime you have a question about a specific Cuban cigar.

Cheers
Drew P

I agree with Drew, not a huge difference in price. Keep an open eye. There are samplers that pop up here so you can try several different brands for not a lot of cash. With that being said, if I had to pick the best "value", it would go to a NC - Padron 3000 maduro.

Mike

Should you pay more for a comparable cigar just because it is cuban?

Like others have said, I usually pay equal or less for a comparable Cuban cigar than a NC.
On top of that, some good NC are so HTF that I just give up trying to find one.

From the sounds of the descriptions, I personaly might like them. I like a full rich flavor, but not the spice. On of the gentleman on the board suggested that I not write off the spicy ones and try them with a glass of coke. I think this will be an interesting experiment to try again csomething that I previously did not care for.

I have no direct way of trying CC's in the first place, but I realy wanted to know if it is worth the effort to try find and order them. Mabey when I can afford to do the newbie sampler, someone might have a CC in their, who knows.

Another thing stated was the flavors and body of an aged CC, I havent even had the oppertunity to experiance a well aged cigar of any type so I will have to wait to weigh in on that. I am hoping to go up to portlad this summer and visit a shop that a friend told me about. he said they have nice aged cigars you can purchase in the store and smoke in their lounge, this sounds like a great way to get some direct advice in person from those in the know.

Some say Cubans are worth it and some say not. You might want to concentrate your efforts and limited funds on Non-Cubans for a while.

Some say Cubans are worth it and some say not. You might want to concentrate your efforts and limited funds on Non-Cubans for a while.

Absoloutly,

I have allways had that hollywood romantic ideal of CC, in all honesty until I came to this forum, I had no clue that they were actualy atainable.
I just figured since I am trying to learn as much as I possibly can that I would ask the question, and in the future mabey pick up a CC stick for my birthday or other special ocasion.

Ok here is a secondary question, If I was looking for the ultimate celebration cigar say for when I graduate college, what would you suggest based on thease crude requirements, and would it be a CC or NC Something else to add to my notebook.

Rich, not spicy, nice thick smoke draw, long burn time.

Also would you drink anything with it and if so what? I am a fan of rums and rich beers more that any thing else

Absoloutly,

I have allways had that hollywood romantic ideal of CC, in all honesty until I came to this forum, I had no clue that they were actualy atainable.
I just figured since I am trying to learn as much as I possibly can that I would ask the question, and in the future mabey pick up a CC stick for my birthday or other special ocasion.

Ok here is a secondary question, If I was looking for the ultimate celebration cigar say for when I graduate college, what would you suggest based on thease crude requirements, and would it be a CC or NC Something else to add to my notebook.

Rich, not spicy, nice thick smoke draw, long burn time.

Also would you drink anything with it and if so what? I am a fan of rums and rich beers more that any thing else

Given your current palate, my suggestion for a CC for graduation would be an H. Upmann Sir Winston. Rich flavor, woody, not spicy, creamy with a hint of sweetness and relatively affordable for a Churchill sized cigar. As far as a beverage to pair it with...hands down I would go with Ron Zacapa Centernario 23 Anos. IMHO, it is better than Havana Club. While it can be a bit of a splurge, I find it relatively affordable.

What thehenchman said.

As a newbie myself I've been sampling CC's and NC's to find out what I like:

-I'm having difficulties to find NC's I really like
-I find it easy to find NC's I really hate. I don't like the "I'm gonna rape your face" -attitude that many Nic and Honduran cigars give. Or they're just too light for my taste.

-I like almost every handmade Cubans I've tasted. I love some of them.
-I haven't found a handmade Cuban I hate. Sure there have been occasional duds and plugs but apart of those, none really.

So, generally what Habanos S.A. produces have been much better than NC's i've sampled.

I think Cubans are definitely worth it. I used to smoke 80% NC and 20% Cuban.

Now, those numbers are reversed.

just my. .02. I've been enjoying cigars since 05, I started out smoking mostly Dominicans, Fuentes, RyJ NC's, Cohiba NC Toro tubos, Montecristo, Macanudo, Etc. I then incorporated Nicaraguans and Hondurans such as CAO, Don Pepins, Tats, Camacho, Punch, etc. I can say that I have enjoyed many a NC's, I have also really enjoyed CC's. There is a certain something about CC's and it is not the fact that they are forbidden that makes them better, Meth is forbidden and I'm not exactly knockin' down the walls trying to score some Meth. It is all about personal enjoyment, you should start by finding out what you like, and it takes time, coke and orange soda are good company, a good rum, a good whiskey, or any good adult beverage of your choosing is good company with a cigar. Horchata is interesting company because of the cinnamon and sweetness. CC's have a greatness to be enjoyed, as do many NC's. What I have found is that even non smokers such as my wife will tend to enjoy the aroma/flavor of a CC. Above all enjoy.