• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cedar lining your coolerdor?

Gunpowder

Cigar Search & destroy V 1.20
Anything to this...I was surfing the Bargainhumidor site and noticed for $29.99 I could line my 60-150 qt iglodor. ($19.99 for smaller one).

Drats their beads are backordered but I thought I might order some spanish cedar along with some beads. The cedar is custom cut to fit your coolerdor.

Is this needed?

I just used empty cedar cigar boxes. Cut them apart and velcor or hot glue to fit them.

I have a couple of dividers in my coolidor but no real cedar lining. I felt that there was enough of that in the boxes I have stored in there.

Phil

you can get beand from the climmax man himself, Vern!
check out the website.

a very helpful man, i called w/ a few Qs and he set me straight.
:thumbs:

This is a subjective topic that has only 2 real answers. Don't buy cedar to line it, or do buy cedar to line it. I will break it down for ya.
  • Cedar adds an aromatic flavor to your cigars. A lot of people like the flavor, whereas a lot fewer don't.
  • Cedar helps regulate the RH in your plastic container.
  • If you buy a lot of singles, 5 packs, bundles, or those cardboard dress boxes; then you probably need cedar in your container.
  • But if you are just using a plastic container to store boxes, then you probably have enough cedar already.
  • The purist beliefs are to buy a cooler because it saves you money for mass storage. If you want cedar, then buy a humidor.
I have some boxes in my fridge. I have also lined parts of my fridge with cedar from old boxes. I believe you can never have too much cedar. But there comes a point of diminishing returns, where any money spent on cedar could be better spent on cigars.

Emo

emodx said:
This is a subjective topic that has only 2 real answers. Don't buy cedar to line it, or do buy cedar to line it. I will break it down for ya.
  • Cedar adds an aromatic flavor to your cigars. A lot of people like the flavor, whereas a lot fewer don't.

• Cedar helps regulate the RH in your plastic container.

• If you buy a lot of singles, 5 packs, bundles, or those cardboard dress boxes; then you probably need cedar in your container.

• But if you are just using a plastic container to store boxes, then you probably have enough cedar already.

• The purist beliefs are to buy a cooler because it saves you money for mass storage. If you want cedar, then buy a humidor.

I have some boxes in my fridge. I have also lined parts of my fridge with cedar from old boxes. I believe you can never have too much cedar. But there comes a point of diminishing returns, where any money spent on cedar could be better spent on cigars.

Emo
Emo breaks down the issue very well, but I would like to add my two cents. If most of the cigars in your cooler are stored in boxes, your cooler already has more cedar in it than a cedar liner will provide. No more cedar is necessary, but if you want to add cedar for aesthetic purposes, that's up to you. I also have a lot of loose cigars in one of my coolers that I keep in a tray/bin that came with the cooler. I could line the tray with cedar, but again, the cooler is otherwise filled with cedar boxes and I have reached a point in my life where I don't like to make a lot of extra work for myself. I just can't see spending time and money to modify a cooler when I am never going to use it as a piece of furniture for display. I have other, more aesthetically pleasing (yet ultimately less effective), humidors for that purpose.

Anyway, that's my .02.

Take care, Bacchus

Actually, I shouldn't even bother because emo & bacchus pretty much said it all but I would NOT line a coolerdor with cedar.

My two coolerdors are stuffed with cedar boxes which provide plenty of that nice aroma, hold the moisture, provide an excellent storage system (like a tray) AND if I need to use the cooler as an actual cooler, all I need to do is take the cigar boxes out!!

Another thing is you may get an unpleasant smell/odor from what ever means that you fasten the cedar lining (glue, tape, silicone caulk, etc) to the sides of your cooler.

If you don't have any cedar cigar boxes laying around, your local cigar shop should be able to set you up.

I have an Igloo with grooves that go all the way to the bottom so when I stand it upright like a fridge I can put shelves in it. I am going to use Spanish Cedar for the shelves and Climmax beads attached to the door/lid. I would like to eventually line the whole box with the cedar from bargain humidors just because I think it would be cool and it's not too expensive.

It's my understanding that if you decide to line a cooler with cedar you should use velcro because it will minimize or eliminate any odors that glues would cause.

I tried hot glue in a coolerdor once and it left an odor for quite awhile. I am using velcro in my fridge and it works great!

Emo

wouldn't the glue from the back side of the velcro haev an odor as well?

or is the principle that a ) it is covered up by the strip of velcro and b ) there is far less of it since you only need a few little strips to hang each cedar sheet?

Lumberg said:
wouldn't the glue from the back side of the velcro haev an odor as well?

or is the principle that a ) it is covered up by the strip of velcro and b ) there is far less of it since you only need a few little strips to hang each cedar sheet?
Mine is lined in cedar with velcro. The sticky side is odorless.

I use the industrial-strength velcro because the sticky is waterproof.

I also pondered this question when I converted a small freezer into a humie. I did the boxes only with Vern's beads. The boxes seemed to work OK alone but it just didn't have that "humie" odor and believe it or not, I noticed it in the sticks!! Here is what I did. I looked at the lining you are talking about but opted for SC slabs. Here is a link to it and a pic of my freezador. I enjoy it more now and although probably just my imagination, enjoy the sticks more!!

Freezador

Spanish Cedar

Hope this helps. Just my .02 cents worth.