• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Ceder Chest?

modF

Has anyone used an old ceder chest as a humidor? There is a local auction around here, and I see them going for as little as five dollars sometimes. Most only need a little loving sanding and some polyurethane on the outside, most of the insides are in great shape and should have a pretty good seal. I'm thinking that I'd have to find one that doesn't have any hint of moth balls or anything of course. Or should I just go buy a cooler and not want a display piece? :)

What type of cedar are they? The really potent cedar (for example western red cedar) people use to keep moths away from wool would more than likely make your cigars taste horrible.

If they are spanish cedar, well then by all means give it a try. :thumbs:

The type of cedar chest you are describing is usually made of aromatic cedar and will ruin your cigars...

KayakinBoy said:
look here and ask him ?'s
[snapback]239391[/snapback]​

Good link, thanks. If I can get one for $5-$10 it might be a good little project box to see if I can seal the inside of it to prevent the scent of the red cedar (assuming that is what it is before I see it, it's luck of the draw down there). If I manage to find something would you guys be interested in a progress report so to speak?

Absolutely.....

and pictures would be even better

It's like Playboy.... the pics are always better than the articles.

Absolutely do not use a chest built out of red cedar. You will regret it.

If you find one made of oak you could line it with Honduran Mahogany which is a much used wood in bigger humidors. Lining that big of a box with spanish cedar would be overpowering IMO.

Allofus123 said:

If you find one made of oak you could line it with Honduran Mahogany which is a much used wood in bigger humidors. Lining that big of a box with spanish cedar would be overpowering IMO.
[snapback]240028[/snapback]​

Dont mean to get off topic but does anyone know where to get a decent amount of honduran mahogany or spanish cedar? Doesn't seem like something you can just go pick up at home depot.

Guitar_Gatler said:
Allofus123 said:

Dont mean to get off topic but does anyone know where to get a decent amount of honduran mahogany or spanish cedar? Doesn't seem like something you can just go pick up at home depot.
[snapback]240037[/snapback]​

e-bay spanish cedar one of many

Guitar_Gatler said:
Allofus123 said:

[snapback]240037[/snapback]​

I don't have any copies of Wood magazine handy here, but there are a TON of places in the back that sell wood. Also, as posted above eBay is good, and ask your local lumber yard (IMHO HD/Lowes wood is too expensive and not always the best quality for the price). If your local place does not stock it, they should be able to get it for you.

And update on the antique chests, they were all beat junk last week. I'm going to give it another shot this Friday, I'll try and post here asap as I am *supposed* to leave for Key West on Saturday, but we shall see on that one.

Just a little update, I have not been able to find a single box that was not way overpriced or 100% shot. So, I think I'll just build one. I've been meaning to buy a few new tools anyhow. :)

I'll post pics/sketches once I decide upon a design.