• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Char-Griller Owners

theroberthogan

What is this fresh hell?
Now that I am a homeowner, I just bought a Char-Griller grill to replace my little apartment grill. The grill went together without a problem, but I also picked up the side fire box smoker, and that's where I ran into a problem. There is a cut out on the side of the grill that needs to come off before I can attach the firebox. The directions that came with the grill said to use a screwdriver and hammer to knockout the cutout pieces, but after a few good whacks, the cutout isn't budging.

I need to get these pieces off, but I don't want to destroy the grill in the process. Any suggestions?

How funny that we both are viewing this at the same time. Got a pic as to what this looks like?

If you have a cutting wheel and a power drill you could score the cut out, or score it more at least, and see if that will help you punch through.

Edit to add

How big are the welds on the plate you need to knock out? Are you able to file them down before trying to knock them out?

If there are welds that is.

I've got a char-griller, but don't use the firebox. It's big enough for me to smoke a turkey as it is, didn't see the need to get the firebox.

I didn't see any welds. There are 5/16 holes that bolts will need to fit through. Then there is an oval plate that's about 8" long. I'll try and take a picture tomorrow when there is some actual light outside.

Cut off wheel and a can of rustoleum high heat paint should fix your problem. If you don't have an air compressor and the tools, use a dremel if you have that, though it will take you longer and you make blow up a few of those thin wheels. Wear eye protection!

+1 on the dremel.

Also, if the thing is flat, place it on a piece of wood (2x4 or something similar) and hit the place where the metal is still attached with a flathead and a hammer. Sometimes getting those knock-outs off can be a pain, but the wood should keep you from warping the metal.