• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Charcuterie!

What gets me, is those old school home sausage makers didn't fuss with bacteria and mold starter cultures like I used. Now, once the mold culture takes up residence in the drying box, I may not have to buy culture anymore. But I don't think I'd chance making salami without a bacteria culture, though. I'm not the least curious about what Botulism feels like.

Time for a post-holiday update. I kept pretty busy in the weeks leading up to Christmas, making summer sausage, salami, and smoked cheeses. Here's another stick of Tuscan salami, all sliced and sealed:

162656_1735168506699_1463169155_31849988_3321022_n.jpg

I wanted a larger slice this time, so I stuffed it in a 3¼" collagen casing...which took 78 days to dry. I also kicked up the seasoning just a bit...more fennel and anise seed. Tasty.

And after 38-40 days, here is the finished product...

20436_1312650104003_1463169155_30860101_7547008_n.jpg

Given how tricky salami is to make (failures are common) I'm really quite pleased with pulling off my first attempt. If I do say so myself, it's pretty darn tasty. But put it on a buttered slice of baguette as is traditional...oh my fuggin' gawd. :D

Man that looks delicious. Salty meats may be one of the greatest things ever invented, butter and baguette send it over the top. I envy you.

That is really impressive. Never thought about doing it myself. I am far too spoiled having dry sausage just a sample request away. This looks great.

Ive been wanting to try this for a long time, but the botulism aspect of it makes me think it's a bad idea.

Ive been wanting to try this for a long time, but the botulism aspect of it makes me think it's a bad idea.

There are some really good books out there that might change your mind. If you follow directions, observe food safety practices, and use your head, you can all but eliminate the risk of food poisoning. If a cure fails, you're almost sure to know it by look or by smell. If in doubt, chuck it out. I've had one batch go south...and it really went south. Chucking it was a no-brainer.

That is absolutely awesome looking meats! I'd also love to try my hand at doing this, but so far only tried beef jerky in a seven layer dehydrator. I can only imagine how good that stuff tastes...mmmmm!!