• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cheap Cigar Review - " Maroma " Maduro

LedZep

Good Evening Folks,

I hope you all have a good start to your week.

I sparked this stick up this afternoon after work. I have made a 2fer purchases in an effort to test the waters on some lesser expensive smokes.
Sometimes, ( like most of you.. I'm sure.. I feel like I want to grab a smoke later in the evening, or on the way to pick one of my sons up from Football practice or something.
Maybe I don't have a full hour to commit to it and I was looking for something to satisfy my tastebuds.. ???

All in an effort to save my "name brand" or better stogies for when my time and solitude permits.

This cigar was something I read a very nice taste review on in a catalog. It seemed very appealing , so I said to myself .. WTF, Let me pick a few of these cheaper sticks up and give them a try.
All I have to lose is time and a few bucks.

I planned when I lit this thing to write a review and share my experience with you while being unbiased to the cigar I picked irregardless of the cost.

So here it goes fellas.. :whistling:

gallery_10867_1257_54661.jpg

Construction - Heavy, Solid to hold, decent Tabacco smell out of the Cello.
This stick did have some big veins and was rather ugly to look at.. Not smooth , and small dimples on the wrap in some areas.

** Hey, I'm not to proud to admit I had a few girlfriends back in my young and foolhardy Navy days that weren't the best to look at , But were enjoyable ( from what I can remember) none the less.
So , I wont disqualify anything based on aesthetics alone ) :blush:

2) I cut just the top of the cap off and toasted the foot.. It began the burn very evenly, Like 1 inch in. .. Then all Hell broke loose. I had to fix it a few times and it seem to tunnel along one side.
There seemed to be a huge stem or something that was burning much slower then the rest of the cigar. I continued to work on it. ( Heh, maybe I just got a bad roll on this one .. So I was thinking )
This cigar had tight draw, But not plugged. It did take some of the pleasure away of trying to smoke it.

3) Taste-

1/3rd - LEATHER.. Nothing else, but maybe a little spice.. Kinda not that good.

2/3rd - Bluish white smoke.. and not alot of it. It smelled OK, But I really could not distinguish any flavors other then leather and little spice.
This coupled with the burning issues and tight draw was starting to piss me off to some degree.

3/3rd - I am surpised I worked with it until here, It was frustrating, and instead of something enjoyable , the whole event left me somewhat aggravated.

The Nub - I can't tell you about it. I had it with this thing. The burn, draw, and lingering burnt leather taste.. Forced me to abandon ship here.

The Ash - Light, and breaking off with just trying to rest the cigar on the finger groove of the ashtray.. All except for that TWIG that seemed to compose a portion of the cigars make-up.

I would rate this particular cigar as "CRAP".
I don't know if I will even fire the other 2 I have up, or ask a few buddies to give it a try and save me from another frustrating event or tell me I just had a bad apple from the barrel.

I will not buy any more of these, I may try a different wrap on the same name. But unsure If it would be worth it.
( What you guys think? on that concept? Try thsi brand again or don't bother)

I am sorry this review was sub-par. But , If I have saved any of you from this experience.. Then I feel like I have done some good.
I realize that a good part of cigar smoking is a subjective taste based thing. ( But the other aspects contribute to the overall experience IMO)

So , maybe if you like or are into the flavors and experience I described.. then this would be worth a try for you.
< $2.. and you can have a good time.

I will continue to post more reviews and always welcome your feedback, opinions and comments.

Led

-------->SNIP

I don't know if I will even fire the other 2 I have up, or ask a few buddies to give it a try and save me from another frustrating event or tell me I just had a bad apple from the barrel.<----------SNIP

This part stood out to me and not in a good way. I'm new to the scene also but this is my thoughts. If I knew I had a dog rocket cigar I wouldn't pass it off to my buddy. If he has never smoked before it could completely turn him off from smoking cigars ever again. As a BOTL we want to make sure our guests enjoy this hobby as much as we do. And with everything going on with tax raises on tobacco and such, cigar smokers need as much help as we can get.

You know from your first experience you had a large vein/bad roll. Set them aside for now, come back to them at another time and see if the next is the same. As you stated it was only a $2 cigar so you aren't out much.

Just my .02 YMMV

-------->SNIP

I don't know if I will even fire the other 2 I have up, or ask a few buddies to give it a try and save me from another frustrating event or tell me I just had a bad apple from the barrel.<----------SNIP

This part stood out to me and not in a good way. I'm new to the scene also but this is my thoughts. If I knew I had a dog rocket cigar I wouldn't pass it off to my buddy. If he has never smoked before it could completely turn him off from smoking cigars ever again. As a BOTL we want to make sure our guests enjoy this hobby as much as we do. And with everything going on with tax raises on tobacco and such, cigar smokers need as much help as we can get.

You know from your first experience you had a large vein/bad roll. Set them aside for now, come back to them at another time and see if the next is the same. As you stated it was only a $2 cigar so you aren't out much.

Just my .02 YMMV

Well stated Sir.
Admirable point of good BOTL Comradary.

However,

These are my smoking buddies from work will on occasion pass each other smokes of this nature have some fun, get each others opinions and poke fun at each others preferences.
These are the gentlemen that started me smoking cigars.
They are seasoned smokers and started me off right.
If they even looked at these smokes. They would know they are from a $2.00 box, which makes the transaction even more enjoyable .lol

I will however leave at least one in my box to age and attempt another day.. Maybe some magic will happen with age.

-------->SNIP

Just my .02 YMMV

Well stated Sir.
Admirable point of good BOTL Comradary.

However,

These are my smoking buddies from work will on occasion pass each other smokes of this nature have some fun, get each others opinions and poke fun at each others preferences.
These are the gentlemen that started me smoking cigars.
They are seasoned smokers and started me off right.
If they even looked at these smokes. They would know they are from a $2.00 box, which makes the transaction even more enjoyable .lol

I will however leave at least one in my box to age and attempt another day.. Maybe some magic will happen with age.
Got ya! In that case it is all in fair play if it is buddies that would understand the joke. My fault for jumping the gun on my thinking. :rolleyes:

Actually, sometimes its funny to give a total dog to a buddy that smokes good cigars with you. Didn't you see the review of, "The EGG" by Kingantz? :laugh:

Seriously though, nice review. Honestly, the best bang for the buck cheap cigars I have found have been the Padron X000 series and Gurkha Park Avenues. Great sticks if you just want something decent to smoke that won't break the bank. The Park Avenues are great at less than $3.00 a cigar, I just picked up a box of torpedos on C-bid for $40.

Good honest review Led, I for one have been intrigued by that ad everytime I open the catalog. Thanks for taking one for the team :laugh: I know I've bitten on some smokes that left me wondering, WTF????????? but like they say, another man's trash, another mans treasure.

Maybe you were supposed to pair it with a cup of coffee to get that coffee aroma :sign:

As for the Gurkha Park Avenues......when I told a friend I love those his face was like...................

surprised-monkey.jpg

Thanks for the review... though I was kind of hoping to be pleasantly surprised that you found a decent tasty $2 cigar worth buying... :laugh:

Oh well, at least now I won't waste my $$ on trying them out! :thumbs:

edit: spelling