• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

chewy? toothy? gummy?

puffnstuff

altruistic pervert
I guess I'll probably preface all of my indicatively newbie posts by admitting my newbie inexperience, so...I'm a newbie! (both to CP and to the wonderful world of cigars)

in reading descriptions and reviews of cigars, many adjectives are used where their meaning (in terms of describing the flavor or aroma of a cigar) is obvious. some I can even smell or taste with my level of inexperience, some make me not sure if I'll want a cutter and lighter or a knife and fork as necessary "utensils".

the few adjectives used that I can't figure out are "chewy", "toothy" and "gummy".
any synonyms and/or descriptions to help give those terms applicable meaning for me would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

emmett

Don't know wich reviews you have read. So I'll try this,

1) They are talking about construction of the cigar, some smokes have a spongy feel to them and you can literally sink your teeth into them l while smoking.

2) More likely the are trying to describe the consistency of the smoke that is produced with each draw. Does it stick together and coat your tongue or is a fragile type of smoke that diisipates quickly.

Not so sure if that reads well, but Welcome to CP.

Tooth is oil pockets on the wrapper. You can feel it and see it. Thus when a cigar is toothy it has noticable oil pockets on the wrapper. It also shows up on the ash.
Welcome to CP. :D

man, thank you guys so much. both explanations make plenty of sense to me.
actually, yeah, now re-reading some of those descriptions (which are in cigar aficionado, by the way) they seem to be talking about the cigars' construction, not flavor.
...I think I'm gonna love it here! :)

emmett

WOW,

Thanks for asking the question emmett 'cause I had no idea what those terms meant either :p

I thought Snow White had picked up a couple more little friends. :sign:

oh, no you're correct too, geldor1...

along with "cheeky", "tongue-y", "lippy" and the one that was lobotomised- "drooly". :D

emmett.

cigarsarge said:
Tooth is oil pockets on the wrapper. You can feel it and see it. Thus when a cigar is toothy it has noticable oil pockets on the wrapper. It also shows up on the ash.
Welcome to CP. :D
How about chewy and gummy?