• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Chicago... What's Up?

theorangeman

Haven't been to Chicago in years, especially at this time of the year, which for a Floridian... burrrrr. At any rate, I will be there for a conference next week and even with the cold weather in my sight, I'm looking forward to the trip. In any event, since I will have some time in the evenings to enjoy the city (and possibly one afternoon), for those of you that know Chicago, what suggestions do you have? I will be staying at the Raffaello Hotel, near the magnificent mile, although I'm more than willing to take a cab. Specifically...

- Good cigar lounge to enjoy a smoke and a cocktail
- Sports Bar(s) - since my Orangemen will be playing Monday and Tuesday night in the Preseason NIT tourney, I definitely want to find a good place to park myself for the evening.
- Perhaps a good, laid back jazz or blues club
- Anywhere else you would suggest?

For cigars: Jack Schwartz until 5 pm. Iwan Ries after 5 until 10.
The sports bars I know are up on the northside, so I am not sure I can make any recommendations. I would guess you could put the game on at Iwan Ries.
Jazz: Green Mill if you are willing to head up north, although I haven't been there in years. Buddy Guy's for Blues. Kingston Mines also if you are willing to head up north. Other options are Green Dolphin Street or Andy's for Jazz. I know those places by reputation rather than having been there.

Thanks for the suggestions
For cigars: Jack Schwartz until 5 pm. Iwan Ries after 5 until 10.
The sports bars I know are up on the northside, so I am not sure I can make any recommendations. I would guess you could put the game on at Iwan Ries.
Jazz: Green Mill if you are willing to head up north, although I haven't been there in years. Buddy Guy's for Blues. Kingston Mines also if you are willing to head up north. Other options are Green Dolphin Street or Andy's for Jazz. I know those places by reputation rather than having been there.

Thanks for the suggestions! So far, I haven't had an opportunity to get out much but that will end soon. I'm taking off early this afternoon to explore a bit. I'm thinking about possibly grabbing a cigar at Iwan Ries. After checking it out online, it seems very impressive coupled with great tradition and history. Might make for a nice afternoon stop. Now the question, what bottle of choice should I bring? :)

Just noticed this thread. Stop by Jack Schwartz Importer if you get a chance. We're in the lobby of the Chicago Board of Trade building on the corner of Jackson and LaSalle. You can BYOB or I can run out and grab some beers. If you need any directions our phone number is: 312-782-7898. Have a great time in Chicago, the weather's been great lately.

Thanks,
Eric

Sounds good, Eric, perhaps later this week.

This evening I had intentions of only grabbing some dinner and a couple of cocktails but my feet had other thoughts. Since I was already on Wabash, by feet kept me going and I ended up at Iwan Ries. Talk about being under dressed. :) I showed up in my adidas get-up to only find that there was some kind of event going on with everyone in coat and tie. Oh well... I proceeded, what the hell, I made it that far I thought. Surprising to me, the gentlemen who I spoke with told me no big deal and let me in and told me to enjoy and didn't charge me the $15 one day pass either. So... enjoy is what I did. I took my Stella's in, found a plush seat, and was entertained on how out of place I was. However, the Padron TA Toro that I bought made me feel at home along with no one giving me any grief. Man, that was one hell of a smoke.

Just got back to my hotel. Now for tomorrow... live music in the pm after my conference is well done. Two nights to go -