• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Chicago ?

chicago_flag.gif

1. What do the two blue stripes mean?
2. What do the three white stripes mean?

:D

blue stripes mean.

top one is lake Michigan and the north branch of the Chicago river.
bottom on is for the South Branch of the Chicago river and The Great Canal.

White stripes are for the North West and South sides of the city.

Alex...you know too much about absolutely nothing!!! ;)

blue stripes mean.

top one is lake Michigan and the north branch of the Chicago river.
bottom on is for the South Branch of the Chicago river and The Great Canal.

White stripes are for the North West and South sides of the city.
Funny. There really is an East Chicago, even part of downtown is East. :rolleyes:

Now comes the challenge....

What do the four stars mean - and (more importantly) the six points on each!!!

Damn it , nothing in Chicago ?

Nope - and you better support your local B&M or those places are likely to dry up as well!!!

(These four stars, by the way, also inspired the design of the Gapers' Block logo.) The stars have six points because, as Wallace Rice explained in 1921, "five pointed stars in the language of flags [stand] for sovereign states." Not only does each stripe and star have its own meaning, but each point of the star also signifies some aspect or quality of Chicago and its citizens.

(These four stars, by the way, also inspired the design of the Gapers' Block logo.) The stars have six points because, as Wallace Rice explained in 1921, "five pointed stars in the language of flags [stand] for sovereign states." Not only does each stripe and star have its own meaning, but each point of the star also signifies some aspect or quality of Chicago and its citizens.

ooohhh, close but "no cigar"....

You still have not identified the the significance of each, and what each of the points stands for!!!

Each of the four red stars in the middle of the flag represent a formative event in the history of Chicago. The events can be "read" chronologically from left to right. The first red star symbolizes Fort Dearborn, and the points of this star represent transportation, labor, commerce, finance, populousness and salubrity. This star was not one of the original two from Wallace Rice's design, but was actually the last star added in 1939. The second star symbolizes the Great Chicago Fire of 1871, and the points of the second star represent religion, education, aesthetics, justice, beneficence and civic pride. The third red star symbolizes the World's Columbian Exposition of 1893. The points of this star represent the various hands that have laid claim to the land and the changing definition of the area -- France (1693), Great Britain (1763), Virginia (1778), Northwest Territory (1798), Indian Territory (1802), Illinois statehood (1818).

Finally, the fourth star symbolizes the Century of Progress Exposition of 1933. This star was also added later, in 1933. The points of this star each represent a different motto or nickname of Chicago. These include World's Third Largest City, Urbs in Horto (the official city motto), the "I Will" motto, Great Central Market, Wonder City and Convention City.

Ain't Google grand? :whistling:

Yeah but I'd bet Alex knew the answers he gave WITHOUT googling. :D

I knew what the five stripes meant and what each of the four stars stand for and I knew the points meant something but I had no idea exactly what.

I just figured I'd ask the relatively easy stuff and George goes and complicates things. :D

Each point is a point toward George's IQ rank

Each point is a point toward George's IQ rank

Oh, fer cripes sake!!!! You're straying off of our original path, here...

Again - close but "no cigar". Leastwise - not on the Chicago flag...

HINT: Take a look at the US flag
;)