• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Choice for 1st CC?

dawgie34203

I’m kind of a dumbass…
I have not had the opportunity to get my hands on a CC yet, but am going to St. Martin in September.

So far, I know that I am safe to buy genuine Cubans from LCDH, but I really don’t know what cigars to choose.

What are some of your favorites and recommendations? I usually lean towards the mediumish strength cigars…

Just have the most expensive one you can find at that shop. It’s only after a some tasting you can find small differences between the blends. So having a pricey one now will be a nice experience and future cheaper cuban smokes like por Larrañaga petit corona (plpc) and ramon allones (rass) are easier to place and appreciate. And it's a nice way to have a fun first.

But do only buy from a reputable seller and watch out for fakes.

Even an LCDH can be tricky. I'd suggest an RyJ en Cedros or similar formats and the Montecristo (#4 or #5). Can't go wrong with @kann Nick's suggestions either.

All depends on if you are planning to smoke them there or bring back into us ( it’s illegal but some of us still do it 🤫) and your budget.

If it’s possible get 1-2 each of Bolivar , Ramon Allones, Partagas, hoyo de Monterey, H Upmann, Punch, Romeo Y Julieta, montecristo. Cohiba and Trinidad are very expensive. And the other brands might be harder to find.

Buy something priced in the middle for those particular brands and you will not go wrong.

Oh yeah. Homework is to take notes 2-3 sentences on what you liked and did not like about each cigar and any particular flavors that stood out. No need to get fancy here. Then it needs to be discussed on VHERF

😉

Thank you guys for all of the advice! That gives me plenty to research. I’ll probably stick to just trying 2 or 3, unless something persuades me differently. We will see…

St. Martin is an awesome place. Too bad the Sunset beach Bar is no longer the same.

Do a ton of research here on how to spot fakes, it may help you out in the long run.

Be sure to go to Orient Beach.

St. Martin is an awesome place. Too bad the Sunset beach Bar is no longer the same.

Do a ton of research here on how to spot fakes, it may help you out in the long run.

Be sure to go to Orient Beach.
Besides the cigars, I think I‘m the most excited to watch the planes land from Maho Beach, but we will definitely check out Orient as well!

Partagas Serie D No. 4 is hard to beat for a nice, medium-bodied smoke. Price should not break the bank, either.

Do you have a favorite vitola? If so, try some different brands of them. When I dipped my toe into Cubans, one of my early purchases was a Seleccion Robustos, five different brands of rubustos, which is my go to vitola. It gave me a good exposure to those brands and guided future purchases. You can make your own selection of whatever size, by shopping for different brands to try.

Do you have a favorite vitola? If so, try some different brands of them. When I dipped my toe into Cubans, one of my early purchases was a Seleccion Robustos, five different brands of rubustos, which is my go to vitola. It gave me a good exposure to those brands and guided future purchases. You can make your own selection of whatever size, by shopping for different brands to try.
That’s a great idea! Thank you!

Vegueros and/or Quinteros.

Yes, they are considered “bargain” cigars, however, they’re great sticks, easy on the wallet and will introduce you to the Cuban profile.

I smoked a Vegueros Tapados last week and it was wonderful.

IMG_5333.jpeg