• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar Box Ashtray

I was just wondering if anybody around here has made an ashtray out of a cigar box yet. I don't have an ashtray, and didn't feel like spending much money on one either. So thinking thrifty, I thought a nice box might do the trick. Does anybody have a good idea as to how to go about it? Would it need to be lined with anything special? Or is there a way to safely seal it with something to keep the whole thing from going up in flames?

I think if you just found the box you wanted to use, then shopped around for some kind of ceramic tray/bowl or whatever you think would fit well into the box, you could then cut a hole in the lid, place the tray/bowl or whatever in the box and you'd be set. I'd think craft stores, home stores would have selections of different kinds of trays and such that would work just fine.

I'm thinking more along the lines of keeping the box intact, with the exception of a cigar rest or two on the sides. Then opening the box to use it, and closing it when finished.

I'm thinking more along the lines of keeping the box intact, with the exception of a cigar rest or two on the sides. Then opening the box to use it, and closing it when finished.

That's what I was picturing when I saw this thread. Sounds neat.

You could build the cigar rests inside the box. Basically make the bottom of the box thicker walled and cut out some divets to rest the cigars in. Then when closed the box would look intact (except for the cutouts, maybe).

---John Holmes...

I would suppose if you took a cigar box and notched out the side, you could use that as a cigar rest. I think since you generally don't 'stamp' out your cigar when done, you could just drop it in the box and allow it to go out on it's own. Might leave a burn mark, but doubt it would start a fire.

Ahhh, that sounds pretty cool as well. You'd just have to be sure to empty that tray after each use, or not close the lid or it could get pretty smelly in there! Sounds like a neat idea.

If you need an ashtray, I have a nice green bean can that has seen a few cigars ;)

The problem I see with a cigar box is the cedar would stain, burn and become a smelly mess pretty quick. Whereas a ceramic/crystal ashtray will not absorb odors and ash and will not discolor.

I suppose you could apply about 50 coats of varnish which would clean easily, but I'm not sure how varnish reacts with burning ash.

Yeah, my first thought upon reading this was the "smell factor" as well. I suspect that even with a great deal of varnish and/or polyurethane, it would still retain a pretty big stink.

You could find that ceramic or whatever tray and have it fit inside the box. But again, you'd just have to be sure to not leave ash in it when the lid's closed or it would smell pretty bad.

You can buy a pretty good crystal style ash tray from one of those antique/second hand goods shops for a couple of bucks. There's no great demand for old smoking paraphanalia and there's a ton of it out there for the picking.

Doc.

I saw an ashtry made from a cigar box at a B&M in San Jose. I have been wanting to give it a try ever since.

The wooden cigar box was lined with 1/16 thick brass that had been hammered for texture. I would assume that the brass was adhered with epoxy or such. The lid was modified by placing a piano hinge on one edge. There was also a little chain brass chain to keep the lid from opeing all the way. A small semi-circle was cut out of the box in a couple places and a brass wafer was bent to fit to act as cigar rests.

It was really nice looking and I would have just bought it except it was priced at $250 :0 Seemed like I could make this for alot less . . . but I never seem to find the time to do it.

Thanks for all the input guys. I hadn't given the "smell factor" much thought until I came back and read your replies. Maybe I'll just try one out and see how it does. I could even take a piece of thin steel and make some type of removable tray for no. 2 if the first attempt proves to be fatal.