• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar Boxes

KingGeorge

Are all cigar boxes made of spanish cedar or just the more expensive ones.

Getting ready to set up a mini frigador and since i have some empty boxes, I was just wondering if the boxes were cedar or not.

george

<edit> spelling

Are all cigar boxes made of spanish cedar or just the more expensive ones.

Getting reading to set up a mini frigador and since i have some empty boxes, I was just wondering if the boxes were cedar or not.

george

The laminated boxes I've torn into use a type of plywood that contain Spanish cedar in the exterior plys. Others may have more information.

No they are not.

The woods I have seen include Spanish Cedar, Mahogany and Luan to name a few.

How do you tell which ones a spanish cedar or not. I'm not much of a wood expert. Is it by brand of box or do I have to look for something in the wood.

george

No they are not.

The woods I have seen include Spanish Cedar, Mahogany and Luan to name a few.
So, my dumb question is - what difference does it make? As long as the wood is non-aromatic it would seem that any of those are good choices to store cigars in.

I have to say I've used "wood" boxes to store my cigars in for years, and I have never bothered to figure out what kind of wood they are. Never had a problem....

Thanks - B.B.S.

Really the only thing that could happen (as long as the wood or glues don't have an aroma) is that the wood could warp. But the best benefit of spanish cedar is that it resists warping and mold growth in the high humidity in a humidor better than just about anything else...

Really the only thing that could happen (as long as the wood or glues don't have an aroma) is that the wood could warp. But the best benefit of spanish cedar is that it resists warping and mold growth in the high humidity in a humidor better than just about anything else...

Don't forget - you want sap less wood.

I was under the impression that you wanted spanish cedar in the humi to help with ageing. I'm not building a humi, I just wanted to line the inside of the minifridge with some cedar and I thought empty cigar boxes would be the easiest source.

george

I guess if its just the cigar box itself the wood wouldn't be a major consideration unless it gives off something, (sap, aroma), that could harm your cigars. I always thought most boxes were made out of cedar to help absorb some moisture to mainatin proper humidity.

The unfinished Spanish cedar cigar boxes that I like to use for aging cigars are non-cuban El Rey del Mundo slide top Robusto Suprema, Excalibur No. 1, JR Ultimate No. 1, JR Ult Cabinet 60, Bolivar Fuerte/Cofradia 754, that get picked out of a local store's empty box pile. Good wood, no smelly finishes or paper.