• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar Community ca. 2010

DangerField

I mentioned in my intro post that I was an old regular on alt.smokers.cigars back in the day, who is getting back into cigars. This also includes getting back into the internet cigar community. I have spent a couple hours reading in this and half a dozen other forums about this Jon Caputo guy and his puff.com. I think most people on CP would agree that the aforementioned business conglomeration is just a dumbed-down commercialized parody of the real, vibrant cigar community.

In 2008 and 2009 there were hundreds of pages of conversation on this topic, with the most common question being "what is he up to?"

At least it is clear now: “I want to own the largest cigar site online and be a part of the community and meet the manufacturers and go to conventions and smoke a cigar with those guys,” said Jon Caputo. "El Guapo, El Jeffe, Head Honcho, Overseer, The Korean Zombie, Creative Talent, Negotiates and handles all mergers and acquisitions, The buck stops here!" (http://www.caputomedia.com)

He wanted to hang out with the cool kids. He wanted all the attention on numeral uno and all the cash pouring into his coffers.

I remember back in my alt.smokers.cigars days getting advice regularly from experts like Christian Eiora and Steve Saka. They chose to hang out because they liked cigars. Once I had an order get mixed up with JRCigar and Lew Rothman quickly emailed me personally and apologized.

CigarPass seems to have a generous helping of the old-school cigar community spirit. I like that.