• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar for a friend

StogieStang

I'm meeting a friend in May and after asking a lot of questions about my cigars and humidor etc. he wants me to bring him his 1st cigar to try. What cigar would you suggest for someone who never had one before?

The cigar I typically hand out to a first time smoker or someone who doesn't smoke often is the Lot 23 natty. They are a great mild-medium cigar (don't want to overload a first timer) with plenty of flavor. Not overly expensive but they are a fantastic smoke and I've met very few people who didn't agree.

1st timer?...... Arturo Fuente Short Story or Best Seller. Not a long smoke, definitely not overpowering and TASTY!!!! :thumbs:

I'd say go with a Cabaiguan. They are by no means overpowering (except the Guapo), and have an excellent flavor profile. The wrappers are SUPER sensitive to cold weather and humidity swings so be careful. JMO

Billy

Cusano 18 Double Connecticut. Nice and mild-medium, very creamy, no harsh flavor, and not much aftertaste.

CAO Gold, Cusano 18, Punch Rare Corojo... all good choices. A friend of mine smoked a Padron 3000 nat as one of his first and loved it.

.....A friend of mine smoked a Padron 3000 nat as one of his first and loved it.
I would also recommend a Padron 2000 or 3000; probably a 2K for a first time smoker. Not super expensive, but a fantastic cigar and a very worthy first cigar. I keep a bunch around and they are one of my most solid "go to" cigars.

Regards - B.B.S.

.....A friend of mine smoked a Padron 3000 nat as one of his first and loved it.
I would also recommend a Padron 2000 or 3000; probably a 2K for a first time smoker. Not super expensive, but a fantastic cigar and a very worthy first cigar. I keep a bunch around and they are one of my most solid "go to" cigars.

Regards - B.B.S.

I would have to agree. most of the cigars that were listed previously aren't your average 'first' smokes. Keep in mind - he may end up hating it and throwing it out. Playboy might be a bit too pricy for this, also AF short stories? no way....not the flavor profile I would have wanted when I first started.

I'll throw in another name into the mix: Helix natural. They have nutty/creamy/woodsy flavors....and are VERY mild. Padron 2k though is hard to go wrong with (i would stay away from a Maddy though)

LFD Chisel. I got enough competion for good cigars.

Doc.

LFD Chisel. I got enough competion for good cigars.

Doc.

Trying to kill him off right then and there, eh? :)

I agree that something medium bodied yet flavorful would be a good idea... no need to spend a lot of money on it.

A Padrón regular series, Cabaiguan, Davidoff (if you're feeling very generous), etc. would all be good choices.

Padron 2k though is hard to go wrong with (i would stay away from a Maddy though)

Why? The first time one of my friends had the 2000 Natty, he hated it. He however loved the Maddy.

lol @ Doc, you trying to kill the poor guy?

May I suggest the Cuesta Rey Cabinet #1884 as a good beginner cigar?

Or if you can find them... Charatan Robustos are very very good and won't kick a new guy's ass.

May I suggest the Cuesta Rey Cabinet #1884 as a good beginner cigar?

Or if you can find them... Charatan Robustos are very very good and won't kick a new guy's ass.

All I can say is my "first cigar" was a "It's A Girl!" by some crappy off-brand. Suffice to say, it was HORRIBLE!!

::eats gun::

Don't give them that, WHATEVER YOU DO!!! I almost didn't take up cigars, until a friend showed me the way of La Gloria Cubana. :laugh:

I would have to agree. most of the cigars that were listed previously aren't your average 'first' smokes. Keep in mind - he may end up hating it and throwing it out. Playboy might be a bit too pricy for this, also AF short stories? no way....not the flavor profile I would have wanted when I first started.

I'll throw in another name into the mix: Helix natural. They have nutty/creamy/woodsy flavors....and are VERY mild. Padron 2k though is hard to go wrong with (i would stay away from a Maddy though)

Just my personal opinion...... but there are several people I know who said they would NEVER smoke cigars to whom I gave a short story and they surprisingly enjoyed it very much.... down to the nub. And while they're not leaf heads they're certainly more open now to trying others. As far as Padrons..... I smoked a 3000 for one of my first cigars and if I wasn't a glutton for punishment I would've quit after that. The only way I could describe it at that time was harsh..... and prior to that I smoked Newports for 12 years. Now it's one of my favorite Padrons.... hell favorite sticks period! Just my .02

one of my first cigars was a CAO Gold and Rocky Conn or you can go the deceptive route and start them with a Java
most of the guys i know who dont smoke will try the Java because the way it smells then they are willing to try other stuff and you get them hook on the good stuff

I think my first smoke was a La Gloria Wavell and to this day I always have a box or 2 on hand. They are inexpensive short smokes that are not to overpowering.

Dave

AVO, Davidoff, Rocky Patel Conn, Ashton(regular line), or as previously stated the LCG Wavell. I often start someone off with cigars that I used to love, but became to light as my tastes progressed. Just remember to give him something that you would smoke yourself.