• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar Magazines

J Lew

taste like chicken
The topic was raised about if you agree with the ratings from Cigar Insider & Aficianado etc.
Does anyone think that the magazine cater to the companys that advertise in them?

I believe they cater to them somewhat...that's what advertising is all about. They need the ad dollars so they may lean one way or the other. However, I do believe the ratings are pretty close most of the time.

Much has been said about the "taste" each person has. The Onyx which rated quite high I did not care for, however, someone may have thought it was the best. Who knows!

I have tried a few of the high rated cigars and found them to be pretty good. So, my opinion is they are on the right track.

A newbies .02 cents worth....

Happy Labor day to you all.......

SKYDIVNEKD :sign:

Jason, I think they're basically on track. But I think the 'noise' in the ratings numbers is probably 3-4 points. So a cigar rated 89 may not really be any better than one rated 87 and may not even be as good. Also, it's hard to judge a cigar objectively. Things like construction, draw, etc. can be evaluated objectively, but as Floyd said tastes vary. The reviews are conducted blind, but many cigars you can look at and know what they are - Opuses have a distictive look and how many cigars look like a VSG Enchantment? However, I'm just not cynical enough to believe that they stack the ratings according to advertiser dollars. I've seen plenty of bad reviews for big advertisers and good reviews of cigars that aren't advertised at all (ISOMs for example).

As I said in the other thread, I pay attention more to the verbage of the review than the number. I look at the description to find cigars with characteristics that I like. However, if a cigar gets a very high review, I'll add it to my short list if I've never tried it. I'll get a couple and decide for myself if I like them.

As a editor of a particular distribution, it is hard to break away from gratitude of a larger advertisor when you are putting articles together.
So after time Yes it happens.

CA is particularly prone to this, as a matter of record they rairly even review cigars that are not from one of their advertisors factories.

( I say rairly becasue when they where confronted about this they where able to prove 2 cases where the manufacturers where not advertisors at the time the reviews where placed into thier magazine.)

But having it pointed out showed that they have lost a specific margin for creidbility.

Hb..
Shhh...