• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar pass rating experiment Part DEUX REVEAL # 5

CgarDan

Loved this cigar any time I smoked it previously - I guess my tastes have changed somewhat.

RESULTS

Interesting to note that this cigar had the most agreement in averages between the blind and the bands on groups

CONSTRUCTIONFLAVORCOMPLEXITYAPPEARANCETOTAL
BLIND RATINGSOUT OF 35OUT OF 50OUT OF 10OUT OF 5OUT OF 100
cabaiguan juan
30​
45​
8​
5​
88​
Le Primauguet
34​
49​
7​
5​
95​
Gavin
28​
10​
2​
2​
42​
JoeMO
33​
34​
7​
5​
79​
CBoukal
20​
25​
6​
2​
53​
wingman1974
35​
35​
7​
4​
81​
modo22
30​
43​
8​
5​
86​
Aalvord2
33​
45​
7​
5​
90​
TexEagle
32​
43​
9​
4​
88​
modo22 Friend
34​
46​
9​
5​
94​
drunkfish3
28​
30​
8​
5​
71​
JArtimez
33​
46​
8​
4​
91​
H. Vachon
33​
45​
5​
5​
88​
Smokemorestressless
18​
46​
7​
3​
74​
Johnny B
28​
41​
6​
2​
77​
29.93​
38.87​
6.93​
4.07​
79.80​
WITH THE BANDS
CgarDan
30​
42​
7​
3​
82​
BurnBerry
30​
30​
4​
5​
69​
dawgie34203
33​
45​
8​
5​
91​
31.00​
39.00​
6.33​
4.33​
80.67​

Review Notes:
Nice, smooth, dark wrapper. No noticeable issues on the outside. Rich leather, and wood hints. Lingered in the back of the mouth (guessing Nicaraguan again?). Flavor profile smoothed out a hint during the 2/3. Cigar didn’t want to burn evenly, had to touch up several times. Dry boxed for 36 hours.

I’m taking a shot in the dark, but I’m going to take a guess that cigar number three was a Rojas Street Taco Carnitas.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This cigar looked to be very well constructed. Everything about it just looked right. I did think it felt pretty firm, but after being lit, the draw was exactly how I like it. The burn line was almost exceptional. It would get just a hair wavy, but fix itself quickly. The ash was really nice and solid. It jumped off onto my shirt at just under 2 inches. I always know when an ash is getting close to falling off, but it still startles me when it does! What impressed me was that I picked it up and moved it to the ashtray and it didn’t crumble apart. I smoked this one to the nub, and it never got hot or harsh.

The pre-light draw for me had a really nice tobacco flavor with just a hair of sweetness in the back. Upon lighting, I got the same flavors, but with the addition of a little pepper. For me, this flavor combination ebbed an flowed through the whole cigar. The retro was very pleasant with some pepper, but never too much. More like just letting me know it was still there.

I really enjoyed the flavor that seemed to come in waves. The strength and intensity also seemed to shift quite a bit.

This one looked great as soon as I took it out of the cello. It had a nice dark brown color that was very consistent. It was very inviting and really made me look forward to lighting it up.

I really enjoyed this one from start to finish. I will be seeking out more of these!
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#5 9:06 - 10:30
The stick was pretty firm
Dark, wood, nuts, earthy, maybe musty, strong, bay leaf, plenty of smoke, nice ash, bitter like coffee.
The entire smoke reminded me of a Diesel I once had. Good on construction, complexity, and appearance, but the flavor profile was just a little much for my personal taste. I mentioned the bitter like coffee as I love the smell of coffee, but never acquired a taste for it. This smoke seems similar to that experience. Nothing really negative about it, but just not my thing.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
a weird fig taste, construction was rough. I got a lot of tar from the middle down. Purged and clipped and it helped a bit
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Slight sweetness, heavy tobacco, slight bitterness, slight cedar. Almost had a hint of a gasoline type taste, so weird.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Very interesting flavor, hints of cinnamon and got one draw of cherry cough syrup, but it was in a good way. Was a little tight. Unique flavor compared to what I normally smoke, chocolate and cherry. Construction was only a 30 because of how tight it started, but was great the rest of the way.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Hour 10

Dark thick veiny wrapper, feels too tightly packed by the head and loose by the 1st half, hopefully it burns right. Some lighter brown mottling at the couple inches by the foot.
Medium draw
Sweetish Sourdough colddraw
Leather, tea, sweet, very nice
Draw gets difficult, bitter taste shows up. Perfect draw time, it helps some. The head is very overfilled and i can feel sizeable stems in there at the taper.
Bitterness gone, i like the flavors but draw/ construction makes a proper draw difficult to enjoy.
Flaky loose short ash
Flavors good again, molasses n baking spices come in
Clove, cinnamon, cream
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Lumpy looking. It has a strange celery taste at first, but thankfully that fades quickly. It’s still not good. Tastes like…charcoal. Did I mention I don’t like maduros? You should probably throw out my maduro scores.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Construction is solid other than the cap. The single cap was pretty short and I wasn’t able to cut as deep as I would have liked.

Dark, earthy and spicy. The smoke is very dry. Lot of woody notes in the retrohale. The room note of this cigar is quite pleasant.

A solid smoke, but fairly one dimensional.

Smooth oily wrapper. No bumps or seems. Beautiful cigar.
I liked this one a lot. As with #4, the cigar was very tight at the outset. I rolled it under my palm for a minute or so, and it loosened up a good bit. I hate to rate this cigar lower on construction because of this issue, especially since I had the same issue with #4, which causes me to think the problem might be on my end. But my humidor still shows a consistent 69%.

FINAL REVEAL :
Purchase site: Small Batch
Purchase price: $12.95
Cigar: Diamond Crown Maximus Pyramid No. 3
Cigar Aficionado Rating 87 https://www.cigaraficionado.com/ratings/19786/name/diamond-crown-maximus-pyramid-no-3-figurado

THANKS EVERYONE WHO PARTICIPATED IN THIS !!!! I MIGHT BE CRAZY ENOUGH TO DO ANOTHER ONE IN LATE SPRING

Loved this cigar any time I smoked it previously - I guess my tastes have changed somewhat.

RESULTS

Interesting to note that this cigar had the most agreement in averages between the blind and the bands on groups

CONSTRUCTIONFLAVORCOMPLEXITYAPPEARANCETOTAL
BLIND RATINGSOUT OF 35OUT OF 50OUT OF 10OUT OF 5OUT OF 100
cabaiguan juan
30​
45​
8​
5​
88​
Le Primauguet
34​
49​
7​
5​
95​
Gavin
28​
10​
2​
2​
42​
JoeMO
33​
34​
7​
5​
79​
CBoukal
20​
25​
6​
2​
53​
wingman1974
35​
35​
7​
4​
81​
modo22
30​
43​
8​
5​
86​
Aalvord2
33​
45​
7​
5​
90​
TexEagle
32​
43​
9​
4​
88​
modo22 Friend
34​
46​
9​
5​
94​
drunkfish3
28​
30​
8​
5​
71​
JArtimez
33​
46​
8​
4​
91​
H. Vachon
33​
45​
5​
5​
88​
Smokemorestressless
18​
46​
7​
3​
74​
Johnny B
28​
41​
6​
2​
77​
29.93​
38.87​
6.93​
4.07​
79.80​
WITH THE BANDS
CgarDan
30​
42​
7​
3​
82​
BurnBerry
30​
30​
4​
5​
69​
dawgie34203
33​
45​
8​
5​
91​
31.00​
39.00​
6.33​
4.33​
80.67​

Review Notes:
Nice, smooth, dark wrapper. No noticeable issues on the outside. Rich leather, and wood hints. Lingered in the back of the mouth (guessing Nicaraguan again?). Flavor profile smoothed out a hint during the 2/3. Cigar didn’t want to burn evenly, had to touch up several times. Dry boxed for 36 hours.

I’m taking a shot in the dark, but I’m going to take a guess that cigar number three was a Rojas Street Taco Carnitas.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This cigar looked to be very well constructed. Everything about it just looked right. I did think it felt pretty firm, but after being lit, the draw was exactly how I like it. The burn line was almost exceptional. It would get just a hair wavy, but fix itself quickly. The ash was really nice and solid. It jumped off onto my shirt at just under 2 inches. I always know when an ash is getting close to falling off, but it still startles me when it does! What impressed me was that I picked it up and moved it to the ashtray and it didn’t crumble apart. I smoked this one to the nub, and it never got hot or harsh.

The pre-light draw for me had a really nice tobacco flavor with just a hair of sweetness in the back. Upon lighting, I got the same flavors, but with the addition of a little pepper. For me, this flavor combination ebbed an flowed through the whole cigar. The retro was very pleasant with some pepper, but never too much. More like just letting me know it was still there.

I really enjoyed the flavor that seemed to come in waves. The strength and intensity also seemed to shift quite a bit.

This one looked great as soon as I took it out of the cello. It had a nice dark brown color that was very consistent. It was very inviting and really made me look forward to lighting it up.

I really enjoyed this one from start to finish. I will be seeking out more of these!
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#5 9:06 - 10:30
The stick was pretty firm
Dark, wood, nuts, earthy, maybe musty, strong, bay leaf, plenty of smoke, nice ash, bitter like coffee.
The entire smoke reminded me of a Diesel I once had. Good on construction, complexity, and appearance, but the flavor profile was just a little much for my personal taste. I mentioned the bitter like coffee as I love the smell of coffee, but never acquired a taste for it. This smoke seems similar to that experience. Nothing really negative about it, but just not my thing.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
a weird fig taste, construction was rough. I got a lot of tar from the middle down. Purged and clipped and it helped a bit
Slight sweetness, heavy tobacco, slight bitterness, slight cedar. Almost had a hint of a gasoline type taste, so weird.
Very interesting flavor, hints of cinnamon and got one draw of cherry cough syrup, but it was in a good way. Was a little tight. Unique flavor compared to what I normally smoke, chocolate and cherry. Construction was only a 30 because of how tight it started, but was great the rest of the way.
Hour 10

Dark thick veiny wrapper, feels too tightly packed by the head and loose by the 1st half, hopefully it burns right. Some lighter brown mottling at the couple inches by the foot.
Medium draw
Sweetish Sourdough colddraw
Leather, tea, sweet, very nice
Draw gets difficult, bitter taste shows up. Perfect draw time, it helps some. The head is very overfilled and i can feel sizeable stems in there at the taper.
Bitterness gone, i like the flavors but draw/ construction makes a proper draw difficult to enjoy.
Flaky loose short ash
Flavors good again, molasses n baking spices come in
Clove, cinnamon, cream
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Lumpy looking. It has a strange celery taste at first, but thankfully that fades quickly. It’s still not good. Tastes like…charcoal. Did I mention I don’t like maduros? You should probably throw out my maduro scores.
Construction is solid other than the cap. The single cap was pretty short and I wasn’t able to cut as deep as I would have liked.

Dark, earthy and spicy. The smoke is very dry. Lot of woody notes in the retrohale. The room note of this cigar is quite pleasant.

A solid smoke, but fairly one dimensional.

Smooth oily wrapper. No bumps or seems. Beautiful cigar.
I liked this one a lot. As with #4, the cigar was very tight at the outset. I rolled it under my palm for a minute or so, and it loosened up a good bit. I hate to rate this cigar lower on construction because of this issue, especially since I had the same issue with #4, which causes me to think the problem might be on my end. But my humidor still shows a consistent 69%.

FINAL REVEAL :
Purchase site: Small Batch
Purchase price: $12.95
Cigar: Diamond Crown Maximus Pyramid No. 3
Cigar Aficionado Rating 87 https://www.cigaraficionado.com/ratings/19786/name/diamond-crown-maximus-pyramid-no-3-figurado

THANKS EVERYONE WHO PARTICIPATED IN THIS !!!! I MIGHT BE CRAZY ENOUGH TO DO ANOTHER ONE IN LATE SPRING
"THANKS EVERYONE WHO PARTICIPATED IN THIS !!!! I MIGHT BE CRAZY ENOUGH TO DO ANOTHER ONE IN LATE SPRING" Dan

This is one of my favorite things on CP. Thanks for all your hard work and time!!! I will definitely sign up for it next time.

As for the cigar, I've had the Maximus from ???the CRA pack and liked it a lot, but this one was just a bit much for me on the flavor/note side.

Dan! Thank you for doing this again. It's really fun, please count me in if you do it in spring.

Blind tasting these assortments is such a good time. Trying new sticks with no bias has turned me on to some new favorites.