• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar Pronunciation

Sweetrice80

Deaf Mofo
Hello fellow BOTL,
Hope you all are having a wonderful Monday morning/afternoon/evening (depending where you are). This morning I woke with a little curious minded about something. If I can recall, about a week ago, someone asked how to pronounce Tatuaje which is (Tah-to-ah-hey). Which as some of you may or may not know, that was very helpful for a deaf person like me. I really have a hard time naming cigars, I often go into cigar shops with a piece of paper to show them to save myself the embarrassment of mispronouncing the name of the cigar. I also found a pretty cool site for all the hearing folks out there that actually speak the cigars name on the internet. (those that are interested go here)

However, this does not help me. But I am sure that many of you may actually like to see the pronunciation of the word as well as hearing it. With that, I figured it would be a good idea to start a thread on how to pronounce Cigar related terms and the Cigars itself. With the help of the internet I have gathered some information already. I would ask so kindly if you fellow BOTL, could chime in and add more to make this list more helpful for not only me, but to everyone else that may be too embarrassed to ask. :thumbs:

(side note- I know some of them are actually self explanatory like CAO, but I figured I would throw it in there anyways) :D

List: I will update the list periodically

CIGARS:
5 Vegas: Sinko Vegas
100 Anos: see-en ahn-yos
Anejo: Agneh-ho
Aurora:Ow-rora
Avo: Ah Vo
Cabaiguan: Ka-bai-uawn
CAO: See Aay Oh
Carlos Torano: Carlos Tor-ahn-oh
Chiselito:Chees-ay-lee-to
Cohiba: Ko-he-bah
Comacho: Co Ma Cho
Corojo: core-row-ho
Cusano: Cue Zan Oh
Davidoff: Sno-bh
Exquisitos: ex-key-see-tos
Fuente: Fu-ehn-teh or Fu-en-teh
Illusione: ill-luh-see-own-ay
Jose Seija:Ho-say Say-ha
Joya de Nicaragua: Hoya-De-NiKa-RA-Gua
La Aurora 100 Anos: La Roar Ah See Anon Yos
La Aurora Cien Anos: LA-AHU-RO-RA CE-YEN AH-Ne-os
La Vieja Habana: La Vee-eh-ha Habana
Ligero: Lee - hair- oh
Noellas: No-eh-lass
Padilla Miami: Pad dee ya Miami
Padron: Pah Drone
Partagas: par tah GAHS
Pepin: puh-PEEN
por larranaga: por la ran ya ga
Ramon Allones: Ramone-ah-yone-ace
Romeo y Julieta: Ro-mayo ee Hoo-lee-eh-tah
Savinelli Liga Especial: Sa-veen-eh-lee Lee-gah ess-peciAL
Taino: tah-EE-no
Tatuaje: tat-oo-ah-geh
Torano: tor-ahn-yo
Virtuoso:Veer-too-oh-so.

CIGAR RELATED ITEMS/TERMS:
Palio: Pal-ee-oh
Robusto: row-boost-oh
Xikar: Zy-car

UPDATE 9/28: THANKS GUYS KEEP IT COMING :thumbs:

I actually had someone call a CAO a cow has any one heard that before??

I pronounce

Padilla. PA-Dee-YA

Cabiguan KA-BEE-YAWN

Joyo De Nicaruagua JDN..LOL!! actually Hoyo-De-NiKa-RA-Gua

La Aurora Cien Anos - LA-AH-RO-RA CE-YEN AH-Ne-os

some might say Pepin is more like Peh-Peen

Bumped... come on boys I know there are very smart people on these boards :D . BTW I already ask Rod to move this to the Cigar lounge.

David

Great info for a dumbass like me. Sometimes if I don't know the pronunciation I just point in B&M's :blush: "Yeah I'll have one of those there please" :blush:

thanks.

I actually had a guy in my office once who opened up my 3 finger to check the contents, pulled out a CAO Black VR and said, "I never really cared much for cads."

Oh boy. :rolleyes:

Methinks you guys add to many "y"s to the end of things...

For example:

tah-to-ah-hey; tatuaje does not end on a "hey" sound, it ends on a dry "e" which is more like a "eh" sound. Phonetically I would say that tatuaje would be (american english) phonetically speaking more like tat-oo-ah-geh - the "g" on the "geh" pronounced as in "gin" or "gel"

Fuente: Fu Ent Tay - I'd say it's more like Fu-ehn-teh or Fu-en-teh.

La Vieja Habana: La Vee Aay Ha Habana --- Vieja here souns more like Viaja (travels, as in sh/e travels). To me it seems more Vee-eh-ha.

Carlos Torano: Carlos Tor Ahn Yo - My take is that it's pronounced more like Tor-ahn-oh (like spagetti-oh)

Romeo y Julieta: Rome-ay-o ee Hoo-lee-eh-tah - The Julieta is spot on, but Romeo reads to me like Ro-mayo (as in Mayo clinic). It's the same sounds as Julieta: Rom-eh-o or Rome-eh-o.

Anejo: Ahn-yay-ho - Make that Agneh-ho (the gn sound as in gnocci, for those who like italian food... for those who don't, you have got to try some!)

Other assorted constructive criticism:

Joya de Nicaragua: Hoyo-De-NiKa-RA-Gua - this is excellent phonetics, except the Joya ending; it would sound closer by doing Hoya, the "a" sounds the same as the ending of Nicaragua.

Ramon Allones: Ramone-ah-yone-ace - Again, the ah-yone-ace sounds like mayonaise... depending from where in South America, Allones would sound like Ah-sho-ness or Ah-lio-ness.

por larranaga: por la ron ya ga - almost there, but the "ron" should be pronounced as "ran": por la-ran-ya-ga. Keep in mind that nowehre in spanish an "a" will sound like an "o"

Pepin: puh-PEEN - I saw the other (several) takes on this. Diminutive of Pepe, familiar/friendly name for Francisco. Straight up, Pep-inn.

Davidoff: sh-muck (is that really right?) - Really close: Sno-bh.

Cohiba: ko-e-ba - it's closer if you go Ko-he-bah.

I actually had someone call a CAO a cow has any one heard that before??
uh... that's how I pronounce it - though I must admit I never heard anyone pronounce it before, I tend to assume (and I know I'm wrong) all cigar names want to sound like spanish, so I pronounce this as the ending of cacao = cow.

Cabiguan KA-BEE-YAWN - I think the actual name is Cabaiguan, which would make the pronuntiation Ka-bai-uawn.

La Aurora Cien Anos - LA-AH-RO-RA CE-YEN AH-Ne-os I think it'd sound better as LA-AHu-RO-RA CE-YEN AH-Ne-os.

Wheew! that said, I often do like Snoozer and point at them at the shop :D

Peace.

Wow, Thanks a lot Dadster1960. I will update the list tonight or tomorrow. See this is exactly what I wanted because iv been looking online and to be honest there are so many different ways people like to say things; I just wanted an little explanation. You did that Dadster1960, so again thank you.

To the rest of you keep posting more cigar names, even if you do not know how to pronounce it post the term/word and hopefully someone like Dadster1960 can chim in and help a BOTL out.

David

Xikar, pronounced Zy-car with the heavier accent on the first syllable, is actually a word of great historical significance, according to company founder and president, Kurt Van Keppel.

The original spelling was SIKAR, a Mayan Indian word for "cheroot" which they regularly smoked. When the Spaniards discovered the Mayan culture, they also discovered the cheroot and began smoking this "cigar" for the first time, returning to their own country with it.