• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar question

Cmag

Sweet forum!
I am new here. How are ya...
I have been smoking cigars for a couple years. Still learning.
Anyway my question is this. Can anyone reccommend a decent cigar for @ $2 /stick. I just want to know if there is anything decent to smoke when I don't have my normal wad to spend. Right now I gravitate to Onyx reserve torpedoes and Bullys (romeo&julieta i think) although i did like the old onyx better...

All suggestions are appreciated and will be smoked :)

Thanks alot

Welcome to the forum! This is a cool place for those of us who enjoy cigars to hang out. I am also a guy who is into saving cash, so here are my suggestions:

1) Hit http://www.cigarprice.com and you will be able to find your favorite cigars at their best price. Of course, this removes the other elements of shopping, so buyer beware!

2) Try these cigars:

JR's Connie #30 (I have yet to smoke one, but many here swear they are terrific for the price)

http://www.jrcigars.com/index.cfm?page=cig...tart=16&CurPg=2

Oliva Grand Maduro (Terrific smoke with a smooth flavor and even ash)

http://www.holts.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/Br...r_points=&mode=

These are not $2 cigars, but I have found that I would rather smoke 3-5 $5 cigars a week than 5-8 $2.50 cigars (not exact math, but you get the picture).

Have a great Saturday!

Welcome to CP!

My favorite $2 stick is the Punch Rare Corojo Rothschilds. You can get boxes of 50 online for right at $100. You'll find it milder than the Onyx Reserve, but it has a very nice Honduran flavor profile. Admittedly not super complex, but hey it's two freakin dollars. I would highly recommend this cigar for the money. The other shapes are very good as well, but slightly more expensive.

Thankyou McPatrickClan...Thankyou Father...!
I look forward to giving them a try.
I regretably tried one of my cigar shops own homemade brand in the past when I was low on funds. It had a terrible sweet/soapy flavor. Didn't know that sort of taste could even exist....
Anyway, thanks again, I will try these suggestions...

As the hunt continues...

Cmag said:
I regretably tried one of my cigar shops own homemade brand in the past when I was low on funds.
:sign: :D

I have done the exact same thing far too many times. It's rare that a "house" brand is actually decent. I bought too many of those to do it again. There are too many other good cigars for a low price.

You're quite welcome. Other possibilities are Connies and JR Ultimates. Connies are Consuegras, which are seconds produced at the Villazon factory in Honduras (I think). They vary from batch to batch somewhat, but at something like $20 a bundle it's a pretty good deal and folks rave about how good they are with a year or so of humi time. I know even less about the JR Ults, but I know that a lot of folks swear by them.

Hey McP...looks like you're in the 100 post club. Go change your avatar caption!! :sign:

Connies no question. If you can buy a few bundles and throw them in the coolerdor and forget about them for a year. :) yum yum

J Lew said:
Connies no question. If you can buy a few bundles and throw them in the coolerdor and forget about them for a year. :) yum yum
Not all Connies need age, and not all Connies of the same bundle are good. Bear with me and I'll tell ya what I know.
Connies are seconds.
Because they are seconds, they don't get ageing time after rolling, or the tobacco might not be the pick of the crop for whatever reason.
They are sold through JR cigars.
JR's are nortorius for shiping their cigars at higher RH...
Try 2-3 off the truck then let them equalize in the humi for at least 6 weeks.
Some smoke good at high RH, some don't.
The hard to get sizes have little age, the rest could sit in the warehouse for a long time. By this, I mean the cigar boom created a lot of demand wich dropped off fast...So the average rate of consumption dropped fater than production. Ultimately this means some of the less popular sizes could have 2-5 years of age coming from JR's.

My experiences with all sizes combined are this:
About %10 are ass kickin awesome
About %20 are really good
About %50 are average to good
About %15 are below average
About %5 are rockets
I'm not an expert so don't take my word, but they are never more than medium strengthed. For the price, you really can't go wrong. And compared to anything else in the price range, it is the best buy in all of cigars. The only difference from other cheap cigars is you don't get consistancy.

Emo

Sweet! This is exactly what I was looking for. Now I definitely have a direction to go in when my wallet is light.

Thanks again,
Cmag

Welcome! :thumbs:

I agree with the Connies to start with. I also agree with the Punch Roth double M's at $99 for 50 are hard to beat. I wouldn't waste my time with a lot of the house brands from locals. I have not found too many worth buying.

Around here an extra buck you can pick up Punch Rothschild Maduro Maduro (recommended by others here as well). Great cigar for the price!

Sam

P.S. Welcome to CP

There is nothing good for $2. You need to spend more money $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :p :p :p :p

Just trying to spice up the board...this plan text is getting boring. DON'T YOU AGREE????

white-smiley32.gif

I love the CI rare corojo. They are about $31 for a bundle of 20 from Cigars International. They come in toro and churchill too. The Churchills are about $38 and the toros about $35. You can frequently get them cheaper at Cigarbid. I have a lot of them and for the price, they are a great everyday smoke.