• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar Rating system/MSRP

TheBeast

The Man, The Myth, The Legend
Reaction score
If it ain't broke...don't fix it. And if that's the case here that's cool...I just had a question. :D

In takin part in my first 2 passes (same day) and obviously being new to this I was wondering...what is the best way to determine gar vaule? I would think in alot of cases the point to passing is to have the opportunity to take some gars you don't find in your area...and if that's the case then you're dealing with unknown smokes. I was nearly getting a headache trying to make sure I was being true to the pass and making sure my puts added up to my takes. Which is what raised this post and question in the first place.

Is there an efficient way to find MSRP on gars?
Is MSRP even the best method?

Would it be realistic to include this info throughout the pass?

I know some members have probably been at the cigar "hobby" at a high level for a long enough time, that their knowledge is vast and probably don't have a problem with this at all, but for the newbie or average member I would think this has to be a concern at times.

I not trying to impose any radical ideas to this board but what is the possibility of developing a Ratings System/Chart for CP. Obviously this is something that would take some time and would need some knowledgable members insite as well as participation, but is it possible? Could it make the site better? Would it make us more member friendly? I don't know...that's way I'm asking.

This post is open for input. :)

If I am doing a pass that has people who are not regulars or are "newbies" I like to post a website for people to use as a value indicator. For non-Havanas I like to use Holt's, for Havanas I like to use Wal's (don't want to post the address). One thing to keep in mind is that prices vary all over, so maybe if pass administrators put a website to use as comparison that would help. That way everyone has the same reference point.

Here is a thought:
As we all know, OpusX is far more redily available in some areas than in others, as I am sure is true for others. So, let's say a Pass is going coast to coast and a guy in say Dallas area puts in a FFOX, this is gonna be far more valuable for him than someone in a place where you can actually get one at MSRP, such as Holts. Then what of the other way, someone buys it at Holts for MSRP of what $7 and then to a guy here in Dallas this gar would be 3-4 times MSRP, he would really have to stuff the pass to do value for value.

Any ideas? I am also very worried in these things that I will not PUT up to the expected level.

I have seen posts that you can e:Mail the originator and ask, but you guys are so generous around here that I think you oldbies would say "sure" just to be nice.

Looking for answers too, Michael "PB"

Matt R said:
maybe if pass administrators put a website to use as comparison that would help. That way everyone has the same reference point.
Now that could be a good start. I just find it pointless searching all over the net for info...it varies so much and its time consuming. A standard point of reference would be great.

Puro, as for your Opus X point, here's my thought: If you pay a high price for one, you best keep it and smoke it. If you pay fair value for it...then you won't feel bad passin it. Over paying doesn't increase the value so if you have to over pay...enjoy the smoke. :D

TheBeast said:
 Over paying doesn't increase the value so if you have to over pay...enjoy the smoke. :D
Exactly, that's why MSRP has to be used in trading or passing. What's valuable to one person is not always valuable to others. We see taht with Lars, Acids, etc. They are costly but I wouldn't pay a nickel for one. So, you must have a starting point to determine the value.

Good question, Beast!

I did the same thing with the first couple of passes I was in! It gets better as I asked alot of questions and did alot of research on the prices.

I agree with Matt, MSRP is important. I can get Drew's, Acid, etc. all day long, but wouldn't spend my money on them either! Can't find an Opus X anywhere in my area but can get the PAM. In that case, I emailed the passer and asked him about a trade just to be sure! That's one way to make sure! If I have a doubt, I'll pass on a take rather than make a mistake.....there will always be another chance!

I think if you get it close, no one will complain.

In my pass, you were more than generous, thus, establishing a repor as a good passer!

Maybe Rod could make some kind of chart to help us out, though!

Leebo :D

Leebo8-9-8 said:
In my pass, you were more than generous, thus, establishing a repor as a good passer!
Thankyou. I appreciate the comment.

I think Matt is right on. A base reference...something standard, that we all could use would be great.

The problem sometimes is you don't always know if your local Tobacconist is even close on price. One of my guys has DC Maddy Torps...$19 a stick??? He's usually fair and no gouging...but how close is that to true value? I don't know. It doesn't really matter because I'm not buying one..but if I bought a few...what reference do I have as far as the tradable value????

Well, it looks like this post is generating some feed back...hopefully something positive will come from it. :D

Well here is what I do. For MSRP I do a basic avg of the price from 3 reputable online stores that don't gouge. Then I also take in account how scarce the smoke is. FFOX comes to mind. From what I understand, the company doesn't allow authorized tobacconists to sell them online. So this definately makes their trade value increase. Then, for smokes I haven't tried, I will go to find the rating on smoke or ca.

Emo