• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar types and flavor

mtschust

How do cigars get to become cigars with so many differnt flavors and types. Tobacco is always the same plant in any case. Just a thought.

That is like saying all coffee is the same.

Variations in the plant, soil, sun conditions, and aging all contribute to how a tobacco leaf burns and tastes.

Then when it is rolled into a cigar, a combination of the various kinds of leaf come together to form a unique blend.

You get mild to full bodied tobacco, just as you do with coffee. All depends on where it came from and how it was processed.

That is how I understand it, but I think all of the different cigar brands and types are phenomenal

Variations in the plant, soil, sun conditions, and aging all contribute to how a tobacco leaf burns and tastes.

Then when it is rolled into a cigar, a combination of the various kinds of leaf come together to form a unique blend.

You get mild to full bodied tobacco, just as you do with coffee. All depends on where it came from and how it was processed.

Well said! Soil will have different minerals and nutrients which will contribute to how tobacco tastes. Soils will be different based on geographic locations.

There are different varieties of tobacco plants. If you take seeds from the same tobacco plant, and plant them in two different tobacco growning countries, the resulting tobacco will taste differently.

Check out this link:
http://www.cigarsforless.com/FAQ.htm

Look at the section titled, Technical Aspects. I think you'll find a lot of answers about tobacco there.

And welcome everything that you wanted to know about tobacco, but were affraid to ask. Or tobacco overload 101.

And as you are a Newbie, please check out this link:
http://www.cigarpass.com/forums/index.php?...=19797&st=0

This is something I pieced together for the new cigar smokers.

That is how I understand it, but I think all of the different cigar brands and types are phenomenal

Take a look at pipe tobacco. The array of blends and brands will blow your mind. :)

Ever eat an onion? different varieties taste different right...no difference with tobacco. Organic materials and chemicals in the soil of the regions where the tobacco is grown makes a HUGE difference in the way the plant grows/tastes/smells...

I always thought the closest comparison to cigar would be wine. In the sense that both are fermented product, subject to vintage variation, same varietal grown under different weather/soil/grower makes a huge difference, and both improve as they age, the similarities are astounding.

Well said! Soil will have different minerals and nutrients which will contribute to how tobacco tastes. Soils will be different based on geographic locations.

There are different varieties of tobacco plants. If you take seeds from the same tobacco plant, and plant them in two different tobacco growning countries, the resulting tobacco will taste differently.

Check out this link:
http://www.cigarsforless.com/FAQ.htm

Look at the section titled, Technical Aspects. I think you'll find a lot of answers about tobacco there.

And welcome everything that you wanted to know about tobacco, but were affraid to ask. Or tobacco overload 101.

And as you are a Newbie, please check out this link:
http://www.cigarpass.com/forums/index.php?...=19797&st=0

This is something I pieced together for the new cigar smokers.

Interesting read thanks for the link.

I always thought the closest comparison to cigar would be wine. In the sense that both are fermented product, subject to vintage variation, same varietal grown under different weather/soil/grower makes a huge difference, and both improve as they age, the similarities are astounding.

When explaining cigars to others I generally use the "cigars is to tobacco as wine is to alcohol" comparison. I find that best illustrates what I'm trying to say. :thumbs:

All good points....but I still find it amazing that certain cigars maintain remarkable consistency from crop to crop. There are a lot of factors, yet some brands remain nearly completely the same from year to year. No doubt very hi QC plays a role......I have also heard it speculated that bethune is somehow used in the fermentation process to assure the end result is the same year in and year out. I don't understand it, and I don't necessarily even believe it, but it has been speculated.