• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigars Aged in Balsamic Vinegar Casks?

morcerf

Last night I supped on a lovely Italian dish cooked by the lovely Mrs. Morcerf. As a side we had the usual French loaf & mixed olive oil, balsamic vinegar, fresh pepper & fresh grated Romano as a dipping oil. As the dinner became no more than a pleasant memory I decided it was the perfect evening for a smoke. Whether it truly mattered or not, I wanted a natural since I was drinking a white wine; therefore I chose my La Gloria Cubana Serie R #5 - about the only natural in my humidor at the moment :laugh: (I must correct that). I was also interested to see how the leftover bread & oil went with the cigar.

I had never had a Serie R before & it was very enjoyable in its own right. However, when 1st eating a piece of bread with the oil on it, then taking a draw, the flavors mingling together made the cigar excellent! To my palette, the strong balsamic & medium cigar was a very complimentary duo. Of course, I am a lover of balsamic vinegar & will put it on just about anything (my mouth is watering a bit thinking about it). Has anyone else tried this combination or is such a thing blasphemy?

Regardless, I will be purchasing more Serie R.

The only blasphemous thing would be if you were using grocery store balsamic.

Doc.

You could always get a cheap desktop humidor and lightly brush the interior of it with balsamic vinegar. Then let it dry and put some smokes in there for a few months...

^^^ Eek... I'd be scared... Nice avatar though!

I love vinegar of all kinds!! will have to try something along these lines sometime!!

The only blasphemous thing would be if you were using grocery store balsamic.

Doc.
???

It was purchased from the grocery store, Alessi from Modena (I liked it the best of other brands I have tried). Which, as it turns out, isn't considered "true" Aceto Balsamico Tradizionale. I think I would rather have not known that :(.

Nonetheless, at this point it serves me well & I would just as soon not get hooked on the $50-250 bottles. I really don't need to add another expensive taste to the list.

Can nothing of quality & authenticity be had for a reasonable price?

It's tough getting a good quality aged balsamic at a decent price...but not impossible. Shopping around the Internet can uncover some good buys when they run them on sale around the Holidays. But sifting through the impostors can be difficult with the money they ask for a 100ml bottle.

I'm currently enjoying a 25yo Acetum that tastes wonderful...thick, rich, and very smooth. Believe it or not, I got it from Costco Online for under $100 with free shipping last December. I've had bottles at twice the price that weren't as good as this one, I highly recommend trying one.

When you drizzle a little of this on a sliver of aged Italian provolone or parmigiano-reggiano cheese while smoking a Partagas 898 or Monti #2....HEAVEN! The tastes that mingle in your mouth all at once are just incredible. Then try a little on a dish of vanilla ice cream topped with some sweet ripe peaches...killer stuff when you pair it with a milder cigar, like a HdM Epicure No.2.

But remember, aged balsamics are like scotch & cigars....to each his own!

It's tough getting a good quality aged balsamic at a decent price...but not impossible. Shopping around the Internet can uncover some good buys when they run them on sale around the Holidays. But sifting through the impostors can be difficult with the money they ask for a 100ml bottle.

I'm currently enjoying a 25yo Acetum that tastes wonderful...thick, rich, and very smooth. Believe it or not, I got it from Costco Online for under $100 with free shipping last December. I've had bottles at twice the price that weren't as good as this one, I highly recommend trying one.

When you drizzle a little of this on a sliver of aged Italian provolone or parmigiano-reggiano cheese while smoking a Partagas 898 or Monti #2....HEAVEN! The tastes that mingle in your mouth all at once are just incredible. Then try a little on a dish of vanilla ice cream topped with some sweet ripe peaches...killer stuff when you pair it with a milder cigar, like a HdM Epicure No.2.

I just noticed a 12 yo Acetum from Costco for 1/2 that price. I may give it a try. The ice cream - I will have to try that. Thanks for the info.

Oh my god!
I think I may rename this community the devils site!
It begins innocently enough with the quest for knowledge regarding my new hobby of cigars. Which quickly turns into the 25 ct humi making room for the 150 count, then 400, now two Vinotemps ordered. As quickly as it starts the AVB scotch reviews become read and remembered, and then the shaving thread gets intriguing. Now I am looking for 25 year aged vinegar! I may have to ground myself from the internet.

My last job interview (second job now) I was asked why did I want this job. To which I replied "to afford my new Cigar Pass obsessions".
Ahhhhhhhhhh! What have I done!!!!!!!

PJ

Oh my god!
I think I may rename this community the devils site!
It begins innocently enough with the quest for knowledge regarding my new hobby of cigars. Which quickly turns into the 25 ct humi making room for the 150 count, then 400, now two Vinotemps ordered. As quickly as it starts the AVB scotch reviews become read and remembered, and then the shaving thread gets intriguing. Now I am looking for 25 year aged vinegar! I may have to ground myself from the internet.

My last job interview (second job now) I was asked why did I want this job. To which I replied "to afford my new Cigar Pass obsessions".
Ahhhhhhhhhh! What have I done!!!!!!!

PJ

Ah, the trouble we find ourselves in. Pace yourself, you have the rest of your life to enjoy these fine things. ;)

But if it is of any help, I just found this site which tells me that aceto balsamico tradizionale is always packaged in the same style of bottle:

1496475059_e130271e9c_o.jpg

Here is another picture that compares the densities of younger & older vinegars - quite interesting.
1490961383_c1ee68c9fe_o.jpg

Over the weekend I picked up a bottle of Fini Balsamico at a little market Italiano. It was only $15 for a 200ml bottle, but I figured it was quite likely an improvement over the others I have had. And apparently if it is not aceto balsamico tradizionale, then it is considered a condiment balsamic.