• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigars as an entertainment expense

moki

el Presidente
I just set up a corporate account cigar cabinet rental at my local smoke shop. This gives us a cabinet there to store cigars/boxes in, and the shop has a lounge that's free to anyone to use (nice chairs/tables, lounge chairs, big screen TV, etc.).

Anyone who owns a business (or might be able to persuade their boss into doing this), it's a pretty cool idea. The rental fee for the storage space, as well as the cigars you buy for it can be paid for by pre-tax corporate money, and partially written off as an entertainment expense.

Not a bad idea to do as a perk for employees, while also having a stock of cigars and location for entertaining business associates, and being able to write off part of your cigar purchases.

I didn't bother telling everyone what was in the cabinet we have at the cigar shop, because I don't think they'll know the brands anyway -- but we have 2 boxes of Añejo Shark No.77's and a box of Opus X Super Belicoso's in there. Good smokes, both.

Here's the email I sent to my staff:

I've set up a corporate account at The Havana House; it's a cigar shop that has a nice selection of cigars. While I realize that most of you would rather eat dirt than smoke a cigar, perhaps we'll have a business associate who does like cigars or you'll have a relative in town who enjoys a good cigar. It's similar to the shared-access everyone has at Bally's: some use it, some don't, but it's available to everyone.

This is not a charge account. We have a humidity-controlled locker there, which I've stocked with three boxes of excellent cigars. Feel free to head down there, grab a smoke, and enjoy it there, or take it wherever. Any of the cigars that are in that locker are fair game, unless they are marked otherwise. Please be fair about it though; don't grab 10 cigars at a time or anything.

The Havana House is staffed by nice friendly people, they have a good selection of cigars, and they also have a ventilated smoking lounge complete with lounge chairs, tables for playing poker, and a huge TV where they always have good movies/sports games on.

Bernard has the key to the locker, just grab it from him when you plan to head out there, and return it the next day (or over the weekend, return it on Monday). Feel free to put whatever cigars you want in there, but mark them in some manner if you don't want other people smoking them.

Directions on how to get to the Havana House can be found here:

http://www.havanahouseinc.com/?pg=contact

The Havana House is located at 365 North Washington Street in Rochester, (585) 586-0620. It's very easy to get to, takes about 10 minutes from the office. 490 East to 441 to Panorama Trail (which turns into N. Washington Street).

Enjoy...

I rented out a company box in the wall humidor at Shelly's Back Room Tavern in Washington, DC... Never bothered to deduct it, though...

I initially got it as a drunken lark to celebrate the re-branding/change-of-ownership of the firm... we had an inside joke along with our logo engraved on the nameplate - and then promptly forgot we even had the box. A few months later, I dumped in a couple boxes just for fun - and that's what actually got me started smoking (You read that correctly, I got the box months before I even started smoking... I was initially thinking I'd keep a passport, 2K in cash, and a snub-nose in there in case I had to go on the run...*)

Now the damn thing is filled up to the brim with 5-6 boxes and assorted singles floating around... and I use it for overflow from my home humi's.

If anyone's ever in downtown DC (near the White House) - drop me a line and I'll buy you a beer at Shelly's and let you sift through the company humi. Our offices are right across the street in the National Press Building.

Relevant links:
- Shelly's Web site...
- Ancient Cigar Afionado Review

Cheers,

- Oak

* Yes... I'm more or less kidding :lookup: . We were inspired to this idea by a scene in a movie... let's see who guesses the name of the flick first...

Hey Moki, I'm looking for a job and I wanna work for YOU!!
I'm an engineer by trade BUT with my political background, I'm leaning towards "Government Relations" or lobbying (basically schmoozing LMAO).

Where do I send my resume? :D

coventrycat86 said:
Hey Moki, I'm looking for a job and I wanna work for YOU!!
I'm an engineer by trade BUT with my political background, I'm leaning towards "Government Relations" or lobbying (basically schmoozing LMAO).

Where do I send my resume? :D
Talk to oak -- you want to lobby, and he's in DC :)

let's see who guesses the name of the flick first...
Ah, I don't watch enough movies to ever get this question.........
Talk to oak -- you want to lobby, and he's in DC
To heck with lobbying, I'll do what ever YOUR company does, I work cheap so long as I get to go on company field trips to Havana House every now and then :D

Oak,

Are you really in the NPB or just rent one of the mailboxes from Frank's Express Printing on the first floor? You know, so you have that fancy address. :p

AVB said:
Oak,

Are you really in the NPB or just rent one of the mailboxes from Frank's Express Printing on the first floor? You know, so you have that fancy address. :p
Yup... send your aged havanas to me and about 20 other folks in Suite 545...

It's hysterical being in that building... we're on the same floor as the Fuji News, an Australian station, and some tiny paper from the midwest (forget exactly where). Then there is us... a bunch of geeks that have nothing to do with the news or politics in any way...

- Oak

I like the guy in the superhero costume on your website. Is that you? :p

AVB said:
I like the guy in the superhero costume on your website. Is that you? :p
heh... no... this is me (finishing the Hawaii Marathon):

hm.jpg

Wouldn't the Marine Corps Marathon been closer?

AVB said:
Wouldn't the Marine Corps Marathon been closer?
Yeah, but it wouldn't have been a good excuse to go to Hawaii, now would it? :D

I also did another marathon the same year (2001) through the Redwood Forest in CA -- that was gorgeous.

oak said:
I rented out a company box in the wall humidor at Shelly's Back Room Tavern in Washington, DC...I was initially thinking I'd keep a passport, 2K in cash, and a snub-nose in there in case I had to go on the run...*

* Yes... I'm more or less kidding :lookup: . We were inspired to this idea by a scene in a movie... let's see who guesses the name of the flick first...
Actually, that's a good idea, but I would up the cash to $20k, ditch the snubnose for a Colt .380, and have two passports.

4A

P.S. I visit out there often, so I'll take you up on your offer at Shelly's one of these days. ;) And thanks for the URL.

Hey Moki one of these days I am going to take a field trip up by you to herf - what do ya think? ;) :D

Moki,

Any chance of you re-locating the business down here in Birmingham? I'd come work for ya - hell I would even work P/T for just cigars :D

Sam