• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigars - the gateway drug?

morcerf

So I've only considered cigars a hobby of mine for the last few months & I'm already in the Pipe Room. Truth be told, I was interested in pipes long before cigars, but cigars are easier to begin with. I long ago figured I would end up smoking a pipe someday since I was always allured by the smell of aromatic tobacco & it seemed such a relaxing hobby. I also like that the smoking experience (from what I hear) tends to have more nuance to it. Since I am now familiar with my B&M, this process has been accelerated. Over the weekend I went & talked to the tobacconist for a good while about all things relating to pipes. I walked out with a bent stem Missouri Meerschaum corncob (from the advice of you all) & a pouch of a cedar-y aromatic blend that I forget the name of. Hopefully this weekend we'll have a chance to sit down & get acquainted.

I did have questions about storing the tobacco, but that has mostly been answered in today's reading. I had originally left it in an empty cigar box inside my humi but I was worried it would affect my cigars so I put the ziploc in tupperware & took the box out. Just for convenience sake, once I find a mason jar to keep it in there shouldn't be any harm in storing it in my humidor (cooler) should there?

Once I get more familiar with smoking a pipe in general, I would like to try the English blends as well. I've seen some suggestions here but I'll probably rely on my B&M for a while. I also figure I will keep the filter in the stem for now, unless you all find that to be a mistake.

Cheers!

I wouldn't store pipe tobacco with cigars, in or out of a jar.

Storing it in a jar should be fine, even inside the baggie inside the jar, if that makes sense.

I would remove the filter and toss it. All it'll do is get wet and stinky.

I think its safe to say most of us pipe smokers started with cigars. Welcome to the Pipe room!

With the Seattle Pipe Club, it seems that most of the members started with cigarettes. Often they quit, and then years later took up the pipe OR they used the pipe as a way to get off cigarettes.

(That's not the case for me, except maybe peripherally, as I smoked cigarettes for no more than four or five months, then didn't smoke tobacco for quite a few years, then 15 years with cigars, then added the pipe.)