• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Circa 1950 Humidor

BACCHUS

Recovering Non-Skier
I picked up a table type humidor at an antique shop several years ago, but I have never put it in service because the aluminum liner is corroded in the corners and some of the flat surfaces. I found an aluminum cleaner at Lowe's, but the label suggests that it contains some pretty nasty chemicals that I am hesitant to use. Do any of you have suggestions on how to clean up the corrosion without using poisonous chemicals? If I use the poisonous aluminum cleaner, how can I remove all residue of the nasty stuff? If I can safely clean the corrosion, is there any way to seal the aluminum to help prevent the corrosion from recurring?

As a last resort, I may just cover the aluminum liner with contact paper, but I would rather restore the liner, if possible.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Take care, Bacchus

Coke & aluminum foil! ;) Sounds like an old wife’s tale but it works!! Trust me, I'm Mr. MOM!! :D

Coke, aluminum foil and tobasco - sounds like the beginning of a dirty joke! Thanks for the tips. Next time I need to clean something, I will look in my pantry before heading off to Lowe's!

Take care, Bacchus

JOE.M. said:
Coke & aluminum foil! ;) Sounds like an old wife’s tale but it works!! Trust me, I'm Mr. MOM!! :D
What did I tell you Will! :D

So you guys listed what to use... Now include the instructions... I was just going to say a Dremel and a soft polishing tip.

Emo

Okie dokie! You need to put some coke on the area to be cleaned, let sit for a few min's. Take the aluminum foil {dull side} scrunch it up a bit, and rub away!

Or; Get your self some Emory cloth, wrap it around something with a blunt edge and go to town!

A soda cap 1/2 full of salt mix water to make paste. Dremel and soft tip.

Thanks for your help. Now I have that excuse I've been waiting for to go out and buy a Dremel. :)

Take care, Bacchus