• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cleaning Your Cutters

Setren

This isn't exactly about humidors, but I thought I'd ask how you guys clean your cigar cutters? Oh, and how often?

I don't really clean them, my Xikar works great.

Occasionally I find a need to oil the hinges to keep it working flawlessly, other than that, a dry paper towel to wipe off some residues.

What Kind of cutter are you referring to, more specifically? Some may be a bit more high maintenance than others.

Simple double-bladed guillotine cutters. I've got a couple that I've been using that might need cleaning, so that's why I'm asking.

It is to my knowledge at least, that most of the cheap, bulk sold cutters have a lifespan.

Once the get dull or worn out, it's always time to buy another one, it's really not worth the time to sharpen or clean.

The best investment I ever made was a Xikar, if you ever get the chance....It's more than worth it, as they are low maintenance and the product's are truly backed by the corporation.

Palio's are as well great investments, but I can't really vouch for them as Ive never owned one.

Just something to consider.

Jake

I use the El-Cheapo double guillotine cutters that most retailers offer for around 2 bux, I add a couple to my cart with about every box purchase. If they get lost or wear out, (they last about 6 months), no big dealio!

I suppose I'll drop the dime on a Xikar one day, but that's another nice fiver that could be in my humidor.

Dennis~

I try to be good about blowing out any scraps or anything after each cut. I use the Palio... been using it a couple months and it's stayed pretty clean. After a cut I'll look in the tracks and blades and try to keep it clear so it doesn't build up.

I used to use the 2 dollar plastic cutters but I've messed up so many cuts with those and had less than enjoyable smoking experiences due to the bad cuts that I had to get something sharper and heavier. Ever since I got the Palio I've been very happy, always clean and precise cuts! I also have a Xikar punch key chain which is great to have on me when I go somewhere and don't want to worry about losing the Palio or when I didn't plan on smoking but someone hands me one or something.

It's my belief that you'd have to cut years of cigars to actually "dull" a cutter. I believe what really happens is that the oils get trapped in the pores of the blades and on the surface of the blades, making them drag when cutting a cigar and leading a person to think they are "dull". I'll bet the better cutters, like my Xikar and Palio, have better quality, finer honed blades and don't get "goopy" as fast as a cheap $2.00 cutter.

Next time you're at the drug store or pharmacy, buy a box of alcohol wipes. These typically contain relatively pure isopropyl alcohol and little to no water or fragrance, as rubbing alcohol often does (read the label). They are cheap and just fantastic for cleaning the blades on your cutters. I clean mine every couple of weeks or so, by wiping them thoroughly with an alcohol wipe and letting them air dry, or if I'm in a hurry, a little canned air.

I've taken cutters of friends who said they were "dull", cleaned them thoroughly, and to my friends surprise, cut like new.

It's cheap and easy to do.....easy to recommend..... :thumbs:

Cheers - B.B.S.

It's my belief that you'd have to cut years of cigars to actually "dull" a cutter. I believe what really happens is that the oils get trapped in the pores of the blades and on the surface of the blades, making them drag when cutting a cigar and leading a person to think they are "dull". I'll bet the better cutters, like my Xikar and Palio, have better quality, finer honed blades and don't get "goopy" as fast as a cheap $2.00 cutter.

Next time you're at the drug store or pharmacy, buy a box of alcohol wipes. These typically contain relatively pure isopropyl alcohol and little to no water or fragrance, as rubbing alcohol often does (read the label). They are cheap and just fantastic for cleaning the blades on your cutters. I clean mine every couple of weeks or so, by wiping them thoroughly with an alcohol wipe and letting them air dry, or if I'm in a hurry, a little canned air.

I've taken cutters of friends who said they were "dull", cleaned them thoroughly, and to my friends surprise, cut like new.

Cheers - B.B.S.

Sound advice IMO, I've done the same, and it's like a new cutter....

Thanks for the cleaning tips guys! :thumbs:

I usually blow out any remaining residue off my Xikar after a cut.
Will definitely look into the wipes next time I'm in the drug store.

Cheers - B.B.S.

x2 ... I usually dip a q-tip in some alcohol and hit the blades and the tracks on my Palio. Usually once a week or whenever I am bored. Even brought some life back to my Zino which I have had since around 2002 I believe.

If you have a Palio I would also recommend that you take a can of air ( the kind you use to blow-off keyboards and such ) and blow out the 2 little port holes every so often to dislodge any buildup.

Lou

Cheers - B.B.S.

x2 ... I usually dip a q-tip in some alcohol and hit the blades and the tracks on my Palio. Usually once a week or whenever I am bored. Even brought some life back to my Zino which I have had since around 2002 I believe.

x3 I use the q-tip and alcohol approach to for my Xicar. A little while back my Xicar got really gummed up (I'm not sure what got on it). I tried just wiping the blades off but it didn't do anything, the blades would often stick closed when I went to open it. I rubbed some rubbing alcohol over the entire cutter and used a q-tip to get in real good and it has been working great since.

All of these seem like good suggestions. I'll definitely try the rubbing alcohol or alcohol wipes route.

Thanks!