• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Clip or Punch Cutters?

scubagrunt

As a newbie, I am wondering what the right way to clip a cigar is....I see a some folks taking off about an inch of the end and in some cases the whole cap...I clip only about 1/4 - 1/2 at the most. Is this just a matter of preference? Also, I like to use a punch cutter on some since it is much easier to carry a punch in my pocket. Once again, is this a personal preference or am I committing a major breach of etiquette?

As a newbie, I am wondering what the right way to clip a cigar is....I see a some folks taking off about an inch of the end and in some cases the whole cap...I clip only about 1/4 - 1/2 at the most. Is this just a matter of preference? Also, I like to use a punch cutter on some since it is much easier to carry a punch in my pocket. Once again, is this a personal preference or am I committing a major breach of etiquette?

A half inch is usually a bit much, even for a torp in many cases.
A noob trick for cutting is holding the stick vertically, putting the head (end you need to cut)on a hard surface, opening the cutter, letting it hit the hard surface, then closing it on the head like a clamp. Once it's somewhat stuck on there, lift the cigar up, then cut. It's usually at the right spot. A cigar doesn't neccesarily have a tight draw because of the cut, but because of humidity or the amount of tobacco in the stick (plugged). Dry boxing can alleviate this issue in many cases.
Hope this helps.

I have this cutter Linky-Loo . All I do with it is shave a little of the cap. Just enough to get through it, to the goodness underneath. I don't actually "cut" any of the cigar/cap off, unless it's a Torp, then I cut about a quarter of inch or so off.. It works just fine for me.

I think it's really your preference. I like cutting and usually take just a bit more then the tip off. I've another friend who likes the punch. Do whatever you feel works best for you.

Try finding the spot where the cigar starts to shoulder, then close the cutter with just enough pressure to score the cap of the cigar.
Run it around a few time and the very end of the cap should come off....

Tim

Please do a little search on the forums and you'll come up with some answers.

I clip with my teeth more often now....just the cap. (stop that you sickos!)