• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Clocktower Port

texasaero

Cooler Troll
I so peruse through my local wine store. I find a Clocktower Port for 9.99 on the aisle display. I take it home pour it out for an evening with a 98 Funda. Hoping for some berries and liquorice of a non vintage port. The port pours light. Edges of amber shows through. Red Pink colors show in the light. I get a very heavy sweet lolipop taste and heavy dose of acidity. A manfactured drink (HiC) taste for a long lasting finish. Cancelled the Fundi. Palate was ruined that night.

A week later I decided to examine the back of the bottle which I should have done instead of being hypnotized by the price tag. The darn thing is a tawny. I have to try this thing again with a heavier meal and some cheese. Anybody else try this and found the same experience? Get what you pay for?

Clocktower is one of my favorite "bargain" South Australian tawny ports. It does not have much body and is very sweet, but not at all offensive. Very drinkable. Never had any acidity at all on the Clocktower. Light, sweet caramel with some hints of vanilla. Not complex, but tasty. I also find that the tawnys go great with a cigar. I believe the rubies/vintage/LBV go better with maduros and a tawny with a natural or EMS wrapped cigar.

If you do like tawnys, try the clocktower's big brother, Galway Pipe (around $21), also from Yalumba vineyards. Another great South Australian is Whisker's Blake ($13-$17), recently scored a 94 in Wine Enthusiast (or was it spectator...can't remember).

Dawg, I've dragged a another witness into the fray. No change in taste. The general conclusion goes, that the tawny was trashed before it was opened. Furthermore, we examined the cork cap. It did not have any stains from the tawny. No imprint from the bottle lip can be seen. None. Looked like it was never used.

So we check the fit of the cork. The cork did not fit tight. It had some play. If I dared turned it over it would certainly fall out. Trashed at the bottlery. Luck of the draw.

I like tawnys with smokes anyday. Will try Galway and Blake soon.

How did you not notice this when you first opened it?

texasaero said:
So we check the fit of the cork. The cork did not fit tight. It had some play. If I dared turned it over it would certainly fall out. Trashed at the bottlery. Luck of the draw.

I like tawnys with smokes anyday. Will try Galway and Blake soon.
[snapback]173805[/snapback]​

AVB said:
How did you not notice this when you first opened it?
[snapback]173926[/snapback]​

Too eager to get the "port" poured out. Opened a cognac right after as well as a large bottle of table wine. Brain quickly went on hiatus.