• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cohiba Piramides Extra

Succubus

I received this cigar as a gift from the MAWPIF thread. Went to a friend's house for dinner and brought it along with me to have afterwards while sitting in front of the fireplace.

Prelight: The Cohiba Piramides Extra is a very pretty cigar with a milk-coffee colored wrapper that is velvety to the touch. It is firm and appears to be well rolled. The aroma was of rich earth and leather. I cut the tip off, making sure not to take too much and took a draw through the cigar. There was a sweetness, some grass or hay, and a little lemon/orange zest. This is one monster of a cigar that I couldn't wait to get my lips around :p I gently toasted the foot ensuring an even light.

image.jpeg

First 1/3: After the first few puffs, I tasted a bit of grassiness with some leather and cream. The lemon/orange zest I picked up on in the cold draw was there as well, but was more muted by the other flavors. There was also a subtle sweetness which I found to be very enjoyable, enhancing the overall flavors from this cigar. The burn is not very even, so I keep rotating the cigar to try and even it out. The grey ash is holding on nicely so far. The grass stayed through the first third with a milk coffee and honey taste coming in and out as I smoke it. I would say the strength is medium at this point.

image.jpeg

Second 1/3: As I get into the second third of this cigar, I tasted a horrible taste on the tip of my tongue. A shiny black substance had oozed out, so I cut ¼ inch off the head, and dunked my tongue in my champagne haha :eek: I continued smoking and the honey and milk coffee were still there but had faded to the background. The grassiness and lemon/orange zest had come forward and taken over at this point. This cigar is evolving and changing with every puff. At times I swear I am getting hints of bittersweet chocolate, then cream and honey, then all of a sudden the leather, and then back to coffee and lemon zest. I'm not really sure, but I swore I also tasted nuts or something. You'd think by now I'd recognize the taste of nuts in my mouth :p:D The burn still has not corrected itself. I blame myself for not letting this delight rest a few more days before putting it to flames. I expected a bit more strength from this cigar, but am very pleased that it stayed medium up to this point.

image.jpeg

Final 1/3: Getting into the final third of this cigar was amazing. The complexity of the flavors are difficult to describe. Cream, leather, bittersweet chocolate, coffee, earth, grassiness, lemon/orange zest, and a hint of spice (and damn here comes those nuts again:D) taking turns appearing and melding into each other. This is one cigar I don’t want to end. It was medium strength to the end with huge volumes of smoke.

image.jpeg

Conclusion: This cigar is definitely in my top 10. It was a very complex cigar despite its large size and I would love to try again. If anyone has any idea what the black stuff was, please let me know. Total smoking time was 1 hour 30 minutes. I’d rate this cigar a 9.5/10.

Last edited:
Tar buildup is the enemy of the dedicated figurado & narrow ring gauge smoker. If it appears, I usually cut a little more off the head like you did, but you have to be careful not to unravel the cap. For some reason, Fuentes are the worst at this.

Good review!

Wonderful review. Concise, well thought out and humorous...

Nicely done, and a good sense of humor. I get a lot of the same impressions with Cohiba. I also love cuban cigars for that last third. Nothing better than a finger burner, and I've had far more Cubans do that than any other. Davidoff was out of his mind with that half a cigar crap. I guess it sold more cigars. If I was worried about my image, I'd shave off my GFYS beard.

Good review!

I agree, one of my favorites as well...

Just read this and a great review too , thanks for the recommendation. Ive been thinking about trying this one for a while, so I guess this will be next on my list.

Nice review. As others have said, cutting another 1/8" or so off the end often solves the tar problem.

Great review, Bri!
The tar I've associated with uneven RH as in either not rested enough or a recent change in RH or temp. But regardless a quick clip usually does the trick.

Just read this and a great review too , thanks for the recommendation. Ive been thinking about trying this one for a while, so I guess this will be next on my list.
Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did, minus the tar :p

Nice review. As others have said, cutting another 1/8" or so off the end often solves the tar problem.
Great review, Bri!
The tar I've associated with uneven RH as in either not rested enough or a recent change in RH or temp. But regardless a quick clip usually does the trick.
Thanks, I'll have to try clipping it next I have that problem. I hope I don't though lol

Now that was a review! LOL! Definitely an excellent cigar, but yeah that tar is one of the nastiest tastes ever.

Tar buildup is the enemy of the dedicated figurado & narrow ring gauge smoker. If it appears, I usually cut a little more off the head like you did, but you have to be careful not to unravel the cap. For some reason, Fuentes are the worst at this.

Good review!
Anejos specifically...